Congratulations! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Chapman, Stepan » Congratulations! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JeffV
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:46 am:   

Congrats, Stepan, on getting into Hartwell's and Cramer's year's best fantasy!

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:46 pm:   

Thank you, Commander.

Your esteemed spouse deserves some of the credit.

That's a reference to Ann VanderMeer, editress of The Silver Web, for it was she who published my short story "The Comedian", which I believe will be featured in the next edition of the Hartwell Cramer anthology Year's Best Fantasy.

It will be nice to have a piece in a mass market paperback for a change.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:28 pm:   

!!!!
Now that's a spicy meatball!

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   

Thank you, Michael.

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:08 pm:   

Stepan: Congratulations!! I haven't seen "The Comedian," but "State Secrets..." might have been my favorite piece of short fiction of 03. Please, keep em coming.

Best,

Jeff

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:29 pm:   

Stepan: Make that 02 and not might have been but was.

Jeff

Forrest
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   

Congrats, Cap'n Cephalopod! I really enjoyed "The Comedian" - then again, I really enjoyed "State Secrets . . . " as well. And when the genius of your Leviathan 4 story is revealed . . . well, let's just say there might be an apocalypse.

Forrest

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:33 pm:   

Thank you, Jeff, and thank you, Forrest.

Hey, Jeff, I should congratulate you on your recent Nebula nominations.

Yes, I'm an active member of SFWA, and I receive the fabulous SFWA Bulletin. The Bulletin was really exciting thirty years ago. Letter after letter of writers lambasting each other. The current Bulletin is tame and tepid indeed.

I got nominated for a Nebula once, but then I was disqualified because the story was published in Canada, not the USA. When Damon Knight named it the Science Fiction Writers of AMERICA, that was exactly what he meant.

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 04:38 pm:   

Stepan:

This from Realms of Fantasy, a review by Paul Witcover. They loved Leviathan 3 and said this about your novella:

Two of the stories in particular, Chapman's "State Secrets of Aphasia" and Ford's "The Weight of Words" are exceptionally fine and should be considered strong contenders for best-of-the-year anthologies and awards.

Chapman, whose novel The Troika won the Philip K. Dick award in 1998, is a stunningly inventive writer. Here, with a node to Edward Lear and a tip of the hat to Lewis Carroll, he sets forth the desperate struggle of Empress Alba of the ectoids--"weightless luminous stick figures who built on vapor, slept on fog, and lived in architectural drawings"--against the Black Glacier, a mysterious and malevolent entity that is spreading like a swiftly metastasizing cancer throughout the kingdom of Aphasia. What at first reads like a delightful piece of whimsy spun on a ticklish froth of inspired language soon begins to metamorphose before your astonished eyes into something darker and more serious, yet without losing its witty, effervescent tone. A remarkable performance

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 05:10 pm:   

Not that this has anything to do with awards and such, but I just read your Millionaire review in Rain Taxi. Well done! I shall have to get a copy now.

Contemplating a drinky crow tatoo . . . even though I don't do tatoos.

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 05:14 pm:   

Yeah--that was a great review, Stepan. I've got his sock monkey stuff, which is great.

Great review of Dark Property, Forrest! And congrats on getting into Exquisite Corpse!

JeffV

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 04:21 am:   

Hi, Jeff. Hi, Forrest. Finally a little activity on this board.

Jeff: Thanks for the heads-up on the Realms of Fantasy/ Leviathan 3 review. I missed that.

Forrest: Glad you liked the Millionaire review. I enjoyed your Evenson review as well.

Just got Main Street Rag #8-l in the mail today. It features my piece "The History of the World", which is a composite of three short-shorts and reads exactly like a comment on "Operation Iraqi Freedom".

I'm mailing off photocopies to both of you. (I'm addressing Jeff and Forrest again.)

Looking forward to the physical manifestation of Album Zutique One.

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 02:23 pm:   

Thanks twice, Jeff. And thanks twice to you as well, Stepan.

I'll look for the photocopies in the mail - I love getting packages from you. Always informative, educational, and entertaining. Every man should have this opportunity.

But then you'd be broke.

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 04:40 pm:   

Here's one such "every man": I enjoyed *my* photocopies, Stepan...the cartoons, as always, and I LOVED "Fat Nate's Master Plan." My favorite line: "But even a blind pill bug can fire a machine gun." Duh! Tell me something I DON'T know. (CONGRATS on YEAR' BEST!!!)

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:43 pm:   

Thanks, Jeffrey.

It was good to see you at ReaderCon. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to socialize. Cons go by so fast.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration