Comic books Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Chapman, Stepan » Comic books « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:58 pm:   

Greetings, comic book freaks. Stan Lee is suing Marvel Comics. It's a brave new world. Can Steve Ditko be far behind? Sure he can. Ditko avoids the spotlight. Ditko is the real-world Peter Parker. Someday someone will write a biography of Steve Ditko.

Did you know that I've been getting letters printed in my favorite comics since the first twenty issues of The Fantastic Four? It's true. I might also mention The Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing. You can't find these letters on the internet, but they do exist.

In the 90s I published several reviews of my favorite comics, most notably a review of Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind in The Comics Journal #170 and a review of Battle Angel Alita in SF Eye #14. (The late lamented SF Eye. I miss it.)

Nowadays I review for the graphic novels section of Rain Taxi, a book review rag from Minneapolis. In the Winter 2002/3 issue, I reviewed Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume I. Another review will appear in Rain Taxi's spring issue.

So is anybody out there? And if so, where are you at with comics these days?

Forrest
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:32 am:   

I'm still collecting Albedo Anthropomorphics - but only because of Matt Howard's wonderful Konny & Czu, which appears in the back. I also picked up Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey (you were there, Stepan - in the freezing Minneapolis cold - brrrr!) and enjoyed it a great deal. There are some wonderful comics out there - just a question of finding them.

Any chance you'll be reviewing Sock Monkey for RT?

I'm also wondering what books might make for a good graphic novel? I'd love to see someone do Gormenghast - but it would be bloody long.

So what kind of story lends itself to being a good graphic novel? Can any story be made into a good graphic novel, given the right artistic touch?

These questions haunt me at night.

Forrest

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:04 pm:   

Hi, Forrest. Yes, Matt Howarth is a vastly underappreciated talent. He made a brief splash in Heavy Metal, and he published a magazine called Particle Dreams with Fantagraphics for a while, but the mainstream comix industry is having no part of him, which is a shame. He's got a real feeling for space opera and decadence.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration