Ectoids Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Chapman, Stepan » Ectoids « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 11:22 am:   

Hello Dr. Chapman,

I am happy to report that I received your “Common Ectoids of Arizona.” Thanks very much for the copy. Being originally from New Mexico, I am familiar with a few of the varieties mentioned in the booklet, most notably the Navajo Cloud Rattler. . . . Unfortunately I am living in Switzerland now where most of the Ectoids were hunted out long ago in order to supply the Duke of Milan’s table with meat. Occasionally however one does see something interesting rooting around in the basil patch.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:39 pm:   

Pity the Swiss.

M. Bishop
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:25 am:   

Let me add my thanks for the copy of Ectoids, too. More later. In the meantime, I appreciate your even thinking to send me a copy. Genuinely.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:02 pm:   

As Sir Lancelot said after he broke wind: "It was nothing, sir. Less than nothing. Now had I come prepared..."

I stole that from Mark Twain.

Mike
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:20 pm:   

Few better to steal from.

paulw
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:44 pm:   

Stepan -- just got my copy of ectoids -- what a pleasant surprise! Many, many thanks!

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:26 pm:   

Don't mention it, Mr. Witcover. I only do it to draw attention to myself. Truly an infantile motivation, but there it is.

GabrielM
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:56 am:   

Received it myself. Thank you, Dr.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 07:07 pm:   

You're welcome. I saw a photo of you at the NY Borders reading. Lambshead forever!

KJ Bishop
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 12:02 am:   

Hooray! I got my ectoids today! I am now getting in touch with my inner Sploog...

This marvellous introduction to the ectoids of Arizona has made me dream of finding ectoids here at home. I am thinking particularly of the Mimi spirits of the northern deserts here in Oz - very slender beings, great dancers and painters, who dwell inside cracks and crevasses in rocks, interstitial people in fact, who are so fragile that they cannot venture outside on windy days lest they be blown far away. Since the Mimi know that they can be swept off by the winds, presumably it has happened. I wonder if any of them were ever carried as far as the Americas...?

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 01:45 pm:   

It is my belief, although no one to my knowledge has published on this question in the literature, that the Glyphoids of Mexico, familiar to many because their aspect has long been enshrined in Toltec petroglyphs, are in fact recent (last ten thousand years) arrivals to The New World and descendants of the Mimi Spirits of Oz.

Please keep me appraised of your observations on the spirit creatures of Oz. I am particularly on the look-out for a reliable account of a eucalyptoid (genus Dryad.)

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 10:59 am:   

Juvenile eucalyptoids have been seen, and an illustrated account of their doings written, by May Gibbs. She published tales of the adventures of gumnut youngsters, in the books 'Gumnut Babies' (1916), 'Snugglepot and Cuddlepie' (1918), 'Little Ragged Blossom' (1920), and many others over the next four decades.
May recalled, "It's hard to tell, hard to say, I don't know if the bush babies found me or I found the little creatures."

This is an extract from the adventures od Snugglepot and Cuddlepie:
http://www.q-net.net.au/~lolita/snugglep.htm
The illustration at the top of the page shows two very young eucalyptoids, a male and a female.

Adult eucalyptoids, however, have been far less visible than their young. I am inclined towards the view that as eucalyptoids age, their etheric vibrations increase in rate, taking them past the range of vision of even the most gifted psychics. Or perhaps they just become wary - justifiably so, considering how many multitudes of them we have murdered.

A further note on May Gibbs: she also contributed to ectoid literature outside of Australia with 'About Us', a book about the chimney-pot people of London.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   

Wow. New worlds of research!

Luís
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   

Hello! I got my copies of Ectoids and Life On Earth last week. For $5 a piece, you're practically being robbed, Dr Chapman. It's delicious stuff, the Duke of Milan certainly knew his choice morsels.

All best,
Luís

Brendan
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 06:41 am:   

Yes, I also recieved Life On Earth. Thanks a lot Stepan. Excellent stuff! My wife thinks it should be translated into Italian! Life On Earth and Ectoids make a wonderful bedside companion couple . . .

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:03 pm:   

Glad you liked LOE, Luis. Glad you and your wife liked LOE, Brendan.

That's what I'm here for. Spreading joy. Spreading joy and writing Burger Creature.

Speaking of translations, here's a secret bulletin for my fans: U-Factory Publishers of Ekaterinburg, Russia, are negotiating with me toward a Russian translation of... The Troika! Pretty neat, huh?

With a first name like mine, my stuff should do well in Russia. Now that the Tsar's gone and everything.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:46 pm:   

So long as "Chapman" isn't a common Chechen name, I think that's great news, Stepan!

Brendan
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 11:52 pm:   

What is Burger Creature?

Yes, Russia is the place to be!

Jim Hawley
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:06 pm:   

Steven,
It's Apolonius from the Circus of Dr. Lao.
Flint 77
How's Lao?
How are you?
I'm at Hawley34@aol.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration