HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

My brilliant career

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Chapman, Stepan » My brilliant career « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 07:31 pm:   

How do you do, whoever you are. I am the disincarnate voice of Stepan Chapman.

I have two books currently available from Amazon. One is a novel called The Troika, and the other is a short story collection called Dossier. Also available is 2002's surreality anthology of note, Leviathan 3, edited by Aguirre and VanderMeer.

Are there any questions so far?

Michael
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   

*peep peep*
*flap flap*
Hello, Stepan!

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:12 am:   

Hello, Mr. Cisco.

That's a reference to the crow-like flapping of doctor's gowns, I believe.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:11 pm:   

I've finally managed to hunt down your fine volume of short fiction. Marvellous stuff. Sadly, I can't seem to get my hands on The Troika.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:34 am:   

Thanks so much, Nicholas. Glad you're enjoying DOSSIER. I am a totally marvelous writer. And so modest too.

I've been doing some reviewing lately. Check out Fantasic Metropolis, sub-section Reviews, and you'll note a web article concerning some of the books I read last year. It's one of many entertaining Books Read articles by various authorial types.

Also check out the latest issue of Rain Taxi, the Minneapolis book review magazine. In that I had a review of Alan Moore's THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, VOLUME I.

I'll also have a graphic novel review, or maybe even two, in the upcoming issue of Rain Taxi.

Meanwhile I hope you're all looking forward to the Ministry of Whimsy/Night Shade Books release of The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide To Obscure & Discredited Diseases, which should be out by July, in time for ReaderCon. I'll have six separate pieces in that little sucker.

I bring up ReaderCon because Kia and I... (That's my dear wife, Kia.) ...had such a great time there last year and are going again this year.

I'm keeping busy.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 11:14 am:   

Hey, Stepan,

Looks like we'll be neighbors in the next issue of Rain Taxi. I have a review of Brian Evenson's DARK PROPERTY in the next issue.

Forrest

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 03:43 pm:   

That's cool, Forrest Aguirre.

Speaking of magazines, for all you bibliographic types out there, I've written up complete list of the nine short stories I published last year, mostly in magazines. Are you ready?

"The Comedian" in Silver Web #15, a surrealism-flavored spec fic mag out of Florida, issued four times per decade. In this story, a man describes his brother's telekinetic talent.

"The Egglien Walks Among Us!!!" in Happy #17. Happy is that rare beast, a wonky New York literary magazine. Square-bound too! This story is a tribute to Steve Ditko.

"Late For Everything" in Reflections Literary Journal #4 of Roxboro, North Carolina. A psychic reports to the IFS on a strange piece of telemetry.

"A Legend of the Wheelgirls" in Artisan #2002-1, a literary magazine from Illinois. An essay concerning the ethnography of the planet Centaura 5.

"Scenes From the Dark Ages" in Whetson: the Art and Literary Journal of Fairmont State College #2-21 from West Virginia. Two medieval short-shorts titled "Losing the War" and "Ilya's Funeral".

"The Silent People" in Redsine #7, a square-bound horror-flavored spec fic mag from Toowong, Queensland, Australia. My first publication in Toowong. In this story, a UN sociological experiment triggers telekinesis in a group of children on a South Pacific island.

"State Secrets of Aphasia" in the trade-paperback anthology Leviathan 3, published by none other than The Ministry of Whimsy. This novelette started out as a concept for an Oz story starring Ozma. Sort of an Ozy version of The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. Then it mutated wildly. These things happen in the best-regulated skulls.

"Three Obscure Animators" in McSweeney's Quarterly #8, a pricey literary magazine currently operating out of California. Issue #8 was a hardcover book! (I haven't been in a hardcover since Damon Knight's Orbit 13!) Paul Malizewski guest-edited this, and his concept for it was Fake Journalism. I seldom write stories that are plausible, but I managed to come up with three capsule bios for three non-existent film animators.

Which concludes my list of the nine stories that I published in 2002. Thanks for listening.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 11:27 am:   

And for those of you that haven't read "Three Obscure Animators" - for shame. Hang your head. Extend your hands. Pick up the big book. Open and read.

Forrest

JeffV
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 08:51 am:   

Of course, Stepan is modestly leaving out his frequent illustrative and cartoon contributions to tons of magazines each year.

I am delighted you're doing reviews for Rain Taxi, by the way.

Jeff V.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:59 pm:   

It's fun. Eric Lorberer recently sent me a graphic album in Japanese ukiyu-e print style, called The Yellow Jar, and that's what I've reviewed for the spring issue.

And yes, it's perfectly true that I publish myriad line drawings, mostly in tiny-circulation poetry zines. I've also self-published two chapbooks of these drawings, one of which, Common Ectoids of Arizona, is currently available from Four-Sep Publications, POB 12434, Milwaukee WI 53212, for merely five bucks postpaid, eight bucks overseas. Check it out, Chapmaniacs. I'm no Heinrich Kley, but I have a few chops as a cartoonist.

JeffV
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:55 pm:   

Stepan:

Re your brilliant career--if you happen to read this but haven't checked your email: CHECK YOUR EMAIL. And respond to D. H. Sorry to put this on your message board but there seems to be some urgency required.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:58 pm:   

Thank you, Jeff.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 07:08 pm:   

Stepan: I've been to the Tenth Muse Zoo. The creatures are beautiful and funny and brilliant. My favorite on this excursion, The Dancing Tapeworm. My hat's off to the menagerie.

Best,

Jeff

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:11 pm:   

Thanks a lot, Jeff. Glad you enjoyed them.

Be ye going to ReaderCon this year? Looks like Kia and me and Mr. Cisco will be there, but not the VanderMeers.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 09:07 pm:   

Stepan: It looks bad this year since I am doing some other traveling and then lots of deadlines. I'm not ruling it out, though. Would like to see you guys. I am definitely doing World Fantasy in DC, which, by the way, would be right around the time when the disease guide would be out. Has JeffV mentioned anymore reprises of our Doctorly selves? Wouldn't mind getting the practice together again for another panel.

Best,

Jeff

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:50 pm:   

Yes--definitely. Not only at the con, but for those who want to, readings set up at local D.C. bookstores. Also probably a disease guide party in a con suite, possibly also radio interviews. If we can do it, we will. All I'm doing that weekend is disease guide stuff.

JeffV

jeffv
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 11:04 pm:   

Yes. Reading. Yes. Many readings. In bookstores around D.C. too. party, too. Possibly radio appearances.

jeffv

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

And then we'll invade a third world nation harboring weapons of mass destruction.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:06 pm:   

Sounds good to me. I like to perform.

Kia is predicting big things for the Lambshead anthology, and she is psychic, you know. We may be forced to do a movie, a comic book, and a talk radio show.

Michael G
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 02:42 am:   

Hi, Mr. Chapman. I've read The Troika and Dossier and love 'em both. I was wondering if you have your own website that would have news of any of your upcoming stories or novels.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   

No, I don't, but thanks for asking.

Watch for my name in Locus, and monitor Ministry of Whimsy publications especially. I will be prominently featured in the Lambshead Pocket Guide and in Leviathan 4. Also in David Hartwell's upcoming edition of Year's Best Fantasy.

I also have fiction in Leviathan 3 and Album Zutique 1, currently available.

I also publish in collegiate literary magazines, but Locus doesn't cover those.

Neil Clarke
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   

Hi! Just read FAT NATE'S MASTER PLAN in ELECTRIC VELOCIPEDE. Always nice to find another story by you. I always knew those damn bugs were up to something!

Looking forward to the THACKERY GUIDE. Ordered a bunch of them for my store. It just sounds like a lot of fun.

-Neil

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 09:14 pm:   

It will be a lot of fun, Neil. It will also contain the key to the universe and will imminentize the eschaton.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 02:15 pm:   

Hi, Stepan. I don't know if this is proper, but I couldn't find your email address anywhere on the internet (strangely, I did encounter, while simultaneously running another, unrelated search, a number of web sites concerning cicadas. Coincidence? I think not!), so I'm posting this here.

I'm co-editing the new webzine The Metastatic Whatnot, and I'm currently going around shamelessly begging submissions from all my favourite writers. (That means you.) If you're at all interested in contributing something (original or previously-published) to our humble, poorly paying, yet strangely compelling journal, drop me a line at nicholasliu@metastatic-whatnot.com.

Thanks.

yours,

Nicholas Liu
Editor
The Metastatic Whatnot

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

Brilliant design, Nicholas. Looking forward to some content, which I expect will be just as good. Best of luck!

Luís

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:44 am:   

Thanks, Luís! I'll make sure our webmaster hears. I think he once said that the only genre webzine he's seen that he's sure he couldn't have designed something better for is FanMet, so he ought to be pretty pleased.:-)

Oh, and because it's ever-so-slightly unclear from my post whether I'm inviting Stepan or just basically touting on his board, I'd better clarify that it's the former (though of course anyone else who happens to read it and decides to submit something will also be met with much editorial gratitude).

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 09:24 am:   

Hi. Remember me?

Howdy, Nicholas. I will attempt to access your website. In any case, thanks for the invitation.

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   

Hi, Stepan. Today I received the photocopies you so kindly sent - THANKS! I love your cartoons; particularly liked "Senses" from "Staplegun". Looking forward to reading the stories! I'm very happy to hear you're going to Readercon!!! Michael Cisco, too. That's great. Coming up fast, isn't it? See you in person then, and thanks again so much. :-)

Jeffrey
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:47 pm:   

...and glad Kia is going, too! By the way, I was pleased to see COMMON ECTOIDS OF ARIZONA was glowingly reviewed in ASIMOV'S not so long ago.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 08:04 am:   

Stepan:

Just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting you this weekend.

JK

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   

Same here, John.

RFW
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:53 am:   

Yeah, hey, good seeing you Dr. Quack.

Dr. W.

Ben O
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:11 pm:   

Stepan,

It was good seeing you again this weekend. Your elocution on MOTILE SNARCOMA was, needless to say, hysterical. I look forward to tracking down a specimen for myself.

Ben

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:26 pm:   

Thanks, Ben. As for you, Dr. Robert: Never speak to me again. Your behavior at the medical convention was inexcusable, but I will refrain from challenging you to a duel, as I have my wife and insects to think of.

Dr. Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   

Drs. Wexler and Chapman: don't make me stop this car and come back there, you two.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:29 pm:   

mumble mumble

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 07:23 am:   

Good sir! Thanks so much for the package you sent me. Much appreciated!

Across the waters of the Atlantic I shake your hand... It's a strain on the wrist... the distance is so far, so far...

Thanks again. I am looking forward to perusing your gift.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 02:56 am:   

Thanks for the hand shake, Dr. Hughes. I will mail your hand back to you by air letter-post, parcel rate. Meanwhile I guess you'll have to read "Invertebrates of North Aphasia" left-handed.

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:02 am:   

I have digested it apace.

Marvellous indeed!

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:43 am:   

Good sir!

Thanks so much for the 'Life on Earth' booklet you sent me. Hilarious! Wonderful drawings...

Much appreciated!

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   

You're very welcome, Rhys.

And thank you for reactivating my long-dormant bulletin board.

I'm receiving many warm reactions to Life On Earth, by letter and by e-mail, but you're the first to grace my cold and lonely board. Blessings on your pointy little head.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:56 pm:   

Yes yes yes! 'Life on Earth' is way cool! Everyone should buy a copy!

JK

Tamar
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   

It's the saddest, sweetest, cruellest, truest thing I've ever seen. Thank you so much Dr Chapman!

JV
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:30 pm:   

Yes, it really is. You've outdone yourself on this one. I truly loved it. And although, under the influence of a good Pinot Grigio, cannot remember if I received it in 2003 or 2004, I plan on putting it on my best-of list for 2004.

Jeff

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 05:02 am:   

Same here (best of 2004) -- but I didn't drink any Pinot Grigio, whatever that is!

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:06 am:   

An Italian wine, with slight undertones of field fruits.

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:50 am:   

Slight undertones... field fruits?

That sounds incredibly sinister to me! How do I know what sorts of field fruits? And what fields? What if those fields are in Flanders circa 1916? What if those 'fruits' are undetonated grenades?

And what undertones? Subterfuge, unexplained arrests, kangaroo courts?

No, no, no -- away with your Pinot Grigio, your apocalyptic/kafkaesque beverages!

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:49 am:   

Come now. Leafing through a two-palm-sized catalogue of ectoids . . . occasionally dipping your tongue into a beaker liquid a la granata . . . a lovely way to spend a winter evening in the tropics . . .

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:55 am:   

Sir, I defer to your wisdom. Yes, you are right. But I'm still a trifle wary of that unexploded ordnance...

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:37 am:   

You guys is weird.

But I'm glad you all enjoyed Life On Earth. (Now that DOES sound sinister.)

And thank you, Dr. Yellin, for your very kind words. Praise like that makes this whole gig worthwhile.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 01:03 am:   

No one comes here anymore, but I might as well make a gesture at keeping this thing current. The subject here is My Brilliant Career, and despite its undeniable limitations, I DO have a career in progress, and I AM brilliant.

Last year, just about all that happened in my brilliant career was that "Revenge of the Calico Cat" was reprinted in Year's Best Fantasy & Horror 18, which was lovely, and I was proud to be in such distinguished company.

This year, a story of mine called "Losing the War" will appear in a fabulist anthology called ParaSpheres from a small press known as Omnidawn Publishing. The inimitable Ursula LeGuin and the titanic Michael Moorcock are involved, along with Rudy Rucker, Alasdair Gray, and a cast of thousands. Rikki Ducornet, the jade princess of surrealism, has written the introduction, so how can it lose?

In February, barring a meteor impact or volcanic eruption in Ekaterinburg, 4,000 copies of a Russian translation of The Troika will be released into the world, at which point there will suddenly be more copies of my books in Russian than in English.

I have a very strange career path.

Oh yes. Fantastic Metropolis AKA www.fantasticmetropolis.com will soon be posting an article describing my reading activities in 2005. Most of the article concerns Emile Zola, so don't miss it if you can.

AntonyS
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:37 pm:   

That's good to hear mate.

I have read two of your books; The Troika and Dossier and liked them both.

Sean Wright
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 01:11 pm:   

What are you working on at the moment, Stepan? Anything you can talk about in the continuing of your brilliant career?

Can we expect another novel soon?

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 05:23 am:   

Testing one two three four. I've been locked out of this discussion board for some time, but now I think I have my tech together again.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 05:28 am:   

Excellent. I'm working on a novel, possibly in two volumes, entitled The Burger Creature Saga. Jim Frenkel of Tor Books is currently examining volume one, titled Burger Creature. (No pressure, Jim.) A select audience, including my wife Kia, Michael Cisco, Tamar Yellin, and K.G. Bishop, have read volume one and seemed to enjoy it. It's a comic adventure novel about an android made of ground beef and the girl who loves him. The villains are mostly industrial scientists in the employ of various fast food franchises.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 05:26 pm:   

This sounds promising! I can't wait to read it.

Robert Wexler
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 06:21 am:   

Hey Stepan! I was wondering what you've been up to.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 06:41 am:   

the book sounds cool, stephan. hope it gets picked up.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |