HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Hey Cheryl, read this!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Emerald City » Hey Cheryl, read this! « Previous Next »

Author Message
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cheryl Morgan
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   

This is where I want you guys to help me out. It isn't easy keeping up with the very best of SF&F, especially because much of the really good stuff comes out from small press outfits. So if there is a book that you think I should be reviewing, please let me know here. Thanks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JP
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 02:24 am:   

You will be reviewing the new Ken MacLeod , Newton's Wake, when it comes out, I trust?

Also, don't know if this will be any good but Penguin India has just published something called 'the Simoquin Prophecies' by Samit Basu which purports to be 'India's first sf/f novel'. It seems more like a fairly generic fantasy with stabs at Pratchettesque wit, but who knows?

cheers

JP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cheryl
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   

The Ken MacLeod review is written and will be online towards the end of the month.

Thanks for the tip on the Indian novel. It doesn't sound terribly promising from your description but I shall check it out.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:36 am:   

'India's first sf/f novel'? That's just stupid and patently untrue.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JP
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:13 am:   

It struck me as one of those brainless lines some marketing maven coins. Anyway, surely there are passages in our epics that qualify as some of the oldest sf/f ever.

On a mildly related note, you may want to check out Ashok Banker's epic-fantasy rework of the Ramayana. I've read widely differing reviews of the books (2 out so far) but the project may deserve note for its audacity, at least (Imagine a Christan writing a fat-fantasy version of the Gospels!).

I notice that a fair number of newer writers are going in for POD publication. WHat is your position on reviewing these?

Oh and here's something that has been around a while but really is worth a look, IMHO: Benjamin Rosenbaum's Other Cities, a chapbook from the Small Beer Press. Sterling stuff!!!

cheers

JP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shantanu Kumar
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:07 am:   

Hey! Read Simoqin Prophecies--which is just a fabulous, fabulous book! And while the first sf claim is a bit dubious, the fantasy in English bit I think is true. Certainly have never read anything even remotely like this. Wonderful book--you should review it.
As for the fantasy version of the Bible, I believe something like this (at least a novelization is under way) by Canongate--famous for Life of Pi.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Walsh
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:49 pm:   

Just got Alan Garner's new novel: Thursbitch (Harvill, 2003). . . and as far as I can tell no US edition forthcoming.

Hey, it's Alan Garner and the odds are good it'll be one of the 10% books (the other 90% being bilge water or worse . . . )

Anyway, hope to start it soonish . . .



Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benjamin Rosenbaum
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:06 am:   

Hi Cheryl! We were on that "How Much Science Makes It SF" panel together at Wiscon, which was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the plug for Other Cities, JP!

Actually, apropos of Ashok Banker, "The City of Peace" in Other Cities is intended as my epic-fantasy (maybe dark-fantasy) version of the Hebrew Bible (and the rest of the history of Jerusalem...)!

Add Your Message Here
Post:
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |