EMISSARIES FROM THE DEAD Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Castro, Adam-Troy » EMISSARIES FROM THE DEAD « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
THE THIRD CLAW OF GODAdam-Troy Castro10-05-07  09:48 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   

EMISSARIES FROM THE DEAD. Novel. Coming in 2008 from Harper Collins.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   

Congrats! Want to share any details about the book?

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   

It feeds off a novella I published in ANALOG a few years back: the last major piece of sf I managed to publish in any of the major magazines, though I've sold stories elsewhere and have a few in circulation right now. It was called "Unseen Demons," and it featured Andrea Cort, a very prickly lawyer/detective for the Diplomatic Corps of the Homo Sapiens Confederacy, who in the course of finding the proper way to prosecute a series of murders came to the conclusion that humanity was being manipulated by forces beyond its ken. It is this story that named a future history already under way for several years, one which was introduced in my Hugo and Nebula nominee, "The Funeral March of the Marionettes."

About a year ago I completed a novel, EMISSARIES FROM THE DEAD, which follows Andrea Cort on a new murder mystery, aboard an alien orbital environment called One One One. The mysteries that take place there further her investigation into the larger picture, and give her a new mission in life.

It is the first book of a two-book deal. The second will probably be another Andrea Cort mystery, still nebulous at this writing but likely to be called something like LOYALTY or TREASON.

This is a rather big deal for me. Despite twenty years in the business that include four Spider-Man novels, multiple award nominations, two non-fiction books and many short stories, I had never succeeded in completing a novel-length work that belonged to me, managing only multiple false starts and much of an epic fantasy, "The Merchant of Madmen," that astounded everybody who saw it in excerpt but kept bogging down at the approximate midway point, paralyzing me for YEARS. (You wanna know how long I worked on that thing? More than a decade, on and off. Kris Rusch references it in her intro to the F & SF publication of "Funeral March." Someday. SOMEDAY. I promise. This is not the way I wanted to emulate Harlan.) I had never quite managed the leap to novel-length work of my my own. The novel trick was one that seemed to elude me, until I said Goddammit, I have to do this.

That's EMISSARIES FROM THE DEAD. More details, including format (pbly mass market), to follow...

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 07:38 am:   

My hat's off to you, Adam. I'm so happy to hear you've gotten a major monkey off your back. And if this breakthrough means that we'll be seeing a whole lot more books from you in coming years, then we, the community of readers, have much to cheer!

Here's hoping that we'll both have lots of exciting news to announce during 2007.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:42 am:   

Scheduled release in March.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration