I Want To Know... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Castro, Adam-Troy » I Want To Know... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam-Troy
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 06:22 pm:   

I want to know...

...exactly what kind of behind-the-scenes dealmaking has Bush defying not only common sense, but also sensible people among his own party, in saying he will veto any attempt to stop him from handing port security to a firm from Dubai.

This move makes ABSOLUTELY no sense, not by any neocon dogma, not by any fundamentalist idocy, and not by any greedhead justification I can name. It's counter-intuitive in the extreme. And yet, it's apparently more than just an oversight. It's something he's willing to fight for. Why? I'm not talking about his pretend reason --

which he hasn't even offered to provide. I'm talking about his real reason.

What blank check has been written? What promises have been made?

I'm taking this seriously. The President wants to hand Port Security in the city where I live to a corporation out of a country that helped to fund 9/11.

My wife works in the Courthouse. There is no upside. What is going on?

Mark Stackpole
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   

Port security is handled by the United States Coast Guard.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 07:26 am:   

Dear Adam,

I'm in the same boat down here. The Port of New Orleans is one of the six major ports which would be involved in this deal. The British company which would be bought out currently handles operations and acts as a leasee to the Port of New Orleans. What is especially troubling about this is that the U.A.E. company which is buying out the British company isn't a private firm, in the strict sense -- it is owned by the government of the U.A.E., a government which has not been unambiguously friendly to U.S. interests over the past decade. I certainly agree that this looks suspicious in the extreme, that President Bush has expressed a willingness to cast the first veto of his five years in office(!) to make sure this deal goes through, despite considerable opposition from heavyweights in his own party. Somehow, the government of the U.A.E. has Our President's balls sitting in their outstretched palm. I really, really hope that the members of our Fourth Estate swiftly redirect their attentions from Cheney's hunting accident to uncovering just what is pulling Bush's strings in this instance.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration