Deconstructing Right-Wing Panic Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Castro, Adam-Troy » Deconstructing Right-Wing Panic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam-Troy
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:35 am:   

Full disclosure: I have not seen BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. It is on my list to see, though at this rate I may have to wait for cable. Too many other films that for me take priority.

So none of this commentary has anything to do with the film's quality, whether good or bad.

The most popular meme, among the right-wing bloggers and commentators right now, is a panicky assurance that they don't want to see the film. Followed by declarations to the effect that Hollywood is out of touch for even daring
to make such a thing. Followed by declarations to the effect that it shows a perverted lifestyle, and that "maybe 18" people will go to see it. Followed by declarations to the effect that they really are interested in seeing KING
KONG.

O'Reilly even harrumped that he prefers to watch football games.

(Shades of that gay-panic moment in PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES: The basso-profundo exclamations of "Catch that game last night? Hell of a game," uttered by two hetero men who have just discovered they accidentally cuddled during the night.)

But again, the most common remark from these people, as if they all got it from the same place, is that they *do* want to see KING KONG.

I have seen this moment, or read it, at least half a dozen times.

So, let's deconstruct this.

The theory is that all movies represent uncritical endorsements of the lifestyles
lived by their characters.

And all these folks are turned off by BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, but want to see KING KONG.

They *say* this because they want us to believe that they're unpretentious folks, with unpretentious tastes. Hetero tastes.

But they're really saying that they find a thirty-foot gorilla, in love with a five-foot woman, more "mainstream" than two guys getting it on.

That's a little bit sick, really.

Guys: the panicky rush among these people to assure their audiences that *they* have no wish to see BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is (regardless of the film's quality, in either direction) about as transparent as cellophane. Panic is the right word. If there ever were a reason to see this thing, aside from personal interest, *their* reaction is it.

Oh, and by the way? More than 18 people have seen it. In fact, the movie is a hit -- and in red states as well as blue.

BillH
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   

ATC,

Read the Proulx story, saw the Lee film, both very good. It's a love story, plain and simple, about making sacrifices for the one you love and what happens when you don't. Also it's about bucking--I said, bucking!--the status quo, because love is more important than that, and what happens when you don't. Seems no different to me than, say, Lillian Smith's Strange Fruit or Look Who's Coming to Dinner. Oh, and like Ennis said: "I ain't no queer." My wife liked it, too.

By the by, just finished your Vossoff and Nimmitz collection, damn fun. Here's a perfect opportunity to bring them back: "A couple of Ranch Hands Herding Tribbles up on Brokeback Mountain."

All the best,
Bill H.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:28 am:   

Bill: thanks. That particular story idea is a non-starter, I'm afraid, but I keep toying with a longer appearance for Dejah.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration