HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

"MY OX IS BROKEN!" updates

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Castro, Adam-Troy » "MY OX IS BROKEN!" updates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 07:05 am:   

This will be the new thread for updates on "My Ox Is Broken: Roadblocks, Detours, Fast Forwards And Other Great Moments From TV's THE AMAZING RACE."

Two chapters are now available online. The page still needs a formatting tweak, but the chapters are readable.

http://sff.net/people/adam%2Dtroy/Random/amazingrace.htmAd

Adam-Troy
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   

The link above is ruined by a typo. Here's the correct one.

http://sff.net/people/adam%2Dtroy/Random/amazingrace.htm

ATC
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 07:46 pm:   

Interviews coming up: Season 1 winner Brennan Swain, runner's-up the Guidos, and the Air Traffic Controllers.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:30 pm:   

Had a long interview with the Guidos today.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   

3500 (!) words today, all on the Amazing Race Book: a spirited defense of the
most maligned racer of all time, Flo Pesenti.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:14 am:   

Have also written a long chapter on the Tanzania incident (Colin and the cabbie).

Introduction, by Billy and Carissa Gaghan, in hand.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 04:02 pm:   

the text of an e-mail newsletter sent to the racers and other interested parties --

Hello, all! Hope this greets you well.

It's been a while since the last update on this monster project from heck, but I've been waiting for information to accrue. Here's where we stand.

Composition: the sheer volume of material available has resulted in this book expanding to about half again its original intended length. Thanks to the patience of my editors and publisher, I have been given until the end of February to produce the remaining pages (but for this spring's once-again international Race 9, which I'll have to recap while the book is in production, to be inserted late in the process). At this point, all that remains is some of the recap of Race 8: The Family Edition, a couple of minor essays, and the transcription of the six completed interviews, which include talks with Jonathan Baker (Race 6), The Guidos (Race 1), Brennan Swain (also Race 1), the Clowns (Race 4), Marshall Hudes (Race 5), and the Gaghan Family (Race 8). There may be more coming, but that deadline is rapidly closing. More details when available.

Special features: the book will include special introductions by two of the youngest racers ever, Race 8's Billy and Carissa Gaghan. ("What We Did On Our Summer Vacation.") These intros are included, in their entirety, below. (They may be edited slightly, for length and to avoid redundancy, in the book). We also have entire chapters on Colin's adventure with the police in Tanzania, on the smartest moves ever made by racers, on the most jaw-dropping errors ever made by racers, on the most endearing racer moments, on cultural clashes, on Flo's bad day in Vietnam, on the "real" rules, and how and when to be suspicious of the show's editors.

Production: the attachment to this e-mail is the actual cover of the book, still scheduled for publication later this year. I think the Benbella folks did a great job!

And, now, without further ado --

WHAT WE DID ON OUR SUMMER VACATION
By Billy and Carissa Gaghan

(Billy): The Amazing Race is such a great show because it brings people all around the world to learn about other peoples culture and how they live their life. Also, it is a very competitive game and so you work harder and also learn about different attributes that you never knew you had before. But since the game is so competitive, you never really get to look around to see how truly amazing the place that you’re in is. The places that you go to on The Amazing Race all have something in common, that they are famous like the Delaware River or cool like the WORLD’S BIGGEST OFFICE CHAIR (in Alabama). The Amazing Race is a great show and if you think you can do it and you want to do it, do it.
I like The Amazing Race because it is a reality TV show and so the game is not a fixed race and so they don’t pick a team and let them win. In The Amazing Race you have to work hard or you’re not going to make it that far. Also the people behind the scenes, like the security guys, were really great guys. And the camera and sound guys were really friendly too. The Amazing Race is a truly amazing show that takes people around the world and those people realize how good they have it in America. Also, all of the other people on The Amazing Race 8 were really great people even though some looked bad on the show.
Being a kid on The Amazing Race was awesome because a kid has a different perspective than an adult and because you have more energy to use than an adult. In Costa Rica, at the time I did not sleep for the past three days and I wasn’t tired, but some of the others were dead asleep and me and my sister Carissa had a lot of caffeine and adrenaline running through us so we were able to run one mile at 2 o’clock in the morning. But in the Race that we were on, there were no kid challenges or specifically challenges meant for kids. When we went on the show, we though that there would be families with kids, but it was just us and the Black Family. I had a great time any way.

(Carissa) Kids being on The Amazing Race was a very good idea. The Amazing Race can help people learn about other people’s culture and language. Also, it helps people go to other places that they would never go to. Being a kid on The Amazing Race was awesome! When you are on The Amazing Race, you can do things that you could never do before in your life! Amazing Race is one of the best reality shows on TV because on The Amazing Race you can learn something new every day until your time is up.
Also the challenges (Roadblocks, Detours and Route Info) were awesome because after you finish one you never know what you are going to go to next, like a Pitstop.
Pitstops can be scary (if you are last) or they can be very exciting (if you are first)! If you are lucky, you may not be eliminated. If you see a Fast Forward and no one took it and you are last, then you should take it. The only problem about taking the Fast Forward is that you can only use it once and that you could come in last place (if you get lost). If you are on The Amazing Race, you get to have camera and sound guys follow you around. They are fun to do things with. You can do fun things like play cards with other teams and camera and sound guys.
In Detours, you can switch them if you can not do them (like the first one is the mud bog and you can’t do it, then you can go to another one like de-heading shrimp). In Roadblocks, only one person can do it (two people for the Family Edition). The bad thing about Roadblocks is that you can’t switch people and if you decide to do a penalty (decide to quit) then you will have to wait 4 hours. Route Info’s are when you have to go some place else. Like if you are in Washington and you might get a Route Info to make you go to Florida. Some Route Info can make you go farther than other Route Info.
Phil is the official eliminator; he doesn’t like to eliminate people but he loves to say, “You are Team number One!”. And when he says you are number one, he might also say “for being the winners of this leg of the race” you will get something like a trip from Travelocity or you could actually win something like a car! I wish we won something!
I had a lot of fun on The Amazing Race and I want to do it again when I get older!

(me again) Thanks again to everybody for their aid and interest. I look forward to collapsing when this is done, but as always, I remain available at this e-mail if you have any questions or comments. In the meantime, travel safe!

Adam-Troy Castro

Adam-Troy
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   

2600 words today, including a spirited defense of (at least one controversial action by) the widely-loathed Mom Weaver.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 09:20 am:   

Will wrap up Season 8 by Wednesday, I think.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:37 am:   

The book is now less than a week from completion, and could be done as early as Tuesday depending on the sweat factor. (This, of course, excepts Race 9, which I'll have to cover as it airs.)

In the meantime, here's a quick preview: the titles I've given the various races.

Race 1: The Expensive Cup of Tea
Race 2: The Ballad of Wil and Tara
Race 3: Stop the World, She Wants to Get Off
Race 4: Not the Usual Bunch of Clowns
Race 5: My Ox is BROKEN!
Race 6: Dysfunctional Follies
Race 7: Chasing Rob and Amber
Race 8: Bringing the Kids

Adam-Troy
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 07:00 am:   

An assessment of the troops fron Race 9, now that we've seen them in action.

• "Best Friends" BJ Averell and Tyler Macniven. BJ is a 26-year-old online tutor from Los Angeles, CA. Tyler is a 25-year-old filmmaker from San Francisco, CA. These guys dress in garish colors and say “dude” a lot; are known to other
teams as “the hippies”, which has already led to at least one churlish comment about their alleged pot smoking. I love these guys. They have nothing but enthusiasm. They refer to themselves, once, as “Geek Adventurers,” which works as a team
name for me.

• "Life-long Friends" Scott Braginton-Smith and John Lowe. Scott is a 41-year-old working in sales from West Harwich, MA. John is a 38-year-old wealth manager from Dorchester, MA. These are gay men who hasten to inform the camera that
they’re JUST good friends. John has a major fear of heights, and gets impatient quickly. He’s actually very reminiscent of Harvey Fierstein. But I'm calling 'em Team Lovitz.

• "Dating Couple" Yolanda Brown-Moore and Ray Whitty. Yolanda is a 27-year-old science teacher while Ray is a 31-year-old attorney. Both are from Chicago, IL. Phil has referenced his infatuation for Yolanda’s legs; until a better name
comes up, we’ll call ’em Team Legs.

• "Dating Couple" Monica Cayce and Joseph Meadows. Monica is a 23-year-old student from Fayetteville, AR. Joseph is a 23-year-old homebuilder from Fort Smith, AR. No real sense of them yet, though Joseph gets a little annoyed at Monica’s
panicking. (The first airport: "Are you seriously going to start crying now?" They call themselves Team Mojo, after the first syllables of their
respective names. I’ll keep that.

• "Mother And Daughter" Desiree Cifre and Wanda Lopez-Rochford. Desiree is a 24-year-old writer from New York, NY. Wanda is a 44-year-old corporate trainer from Smyrna, GA. They call themselves Team Boricua, because of their Puerto
Rican Heritage. And they're awesome.

• "Married Parents" Michelle Garner and Lake Garner. Michelle is a 36-year-old homemaker while Lake is a 37-year-old dentist. The couple lives in Hattiesburg, MS. Lake already has a rep as this season's Jonathan, though not on the basis
of this first leg. Michelle makes a lot of speeches about Lake being in charge.
So, Stepford Dentists.

• "Sisters" Joni Glaze and Lisa Hinds. Joni is a 44-year-old children’s minister
from Katy, TX. Lisa is a 48-year-old realtor/artist from Santa Rosa Beach, FL.
VERY shrieky. Team Shrill.

• "Sacrificial Lambs" "Married 40 Years Couple" Barry Lazarus and Fran Lazarus. Barry is a 63-year-old retired physician while Fran is a 61-year-old retired accountant. The couple lives in Silverthorne, CO. Am not overly impressed; they
were pretty much LOST this leg. So, Team Vague.

• "Friends" Jeremy Ryan and Eric Sanchez. Jeremy is a 26-year-old waiter while Eric is a 27-year-old waiter. Both are from Fort Lauderdale, FL. They make an opening speech about how they only work as much as they need to live, and
how they wouldn’t mind being rich as long as they don’t have to work for it.The Slackers.

• "Dating Couple" David Spiker and Lori Willems. David is a 30-year-old musician while Lori is a 22-year-old Pizza Hut Manager. Both are from Manhattan, KS. Two very sweet Nerds, by their own admission. The Nerds. ALSO totally awesome.

• "Childhood Friends" Dani Torchio and Danielle Turner. Both are 22-year-old recent college graduates from Staten Island, NY. The Pink Ladies.

I expect the final three to include the Slackers, the Geek Adventurers, and Team Legs.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:31 am:   

And I didn't even have Phil waiting there to raise an eyebrow.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter One: The Rules
Chapter Two: The Real Rules
Chapter Three: Is The Race Real?
Chapter Four: Moments We See Again and Again (Part One)
Chapter Five: The Vomit Chapter
Chapter Six: Racers, We Hardly Knew Ye
Chapter Seven: Who’s The Boss?
Chapter Eight: The Single Best Player In the Show’s History
Chapter Nine: A Taxonomy of Players
Chapter Ten: Through Stranger’s Eyes
Chapter Eleven: Race One, The Expensive Cup of Tea
Chapter Twelve: The Guidos Take A Bow
Chapter Thirteen: Brennan Makes His Case
Chapter Fourteen: Moments We See Again and Again (Part Two)
Chapter Fifteen: Race Two, The Ballad of Wil and Tara
Chapter Sixteen: Did Tara Throw The Race?
Chapter Seventeen: Moments We See Again and Again (Part Three)
Chapter Eighteen: Race Three, Stop The World, She Wants to Get Off
Chapter Nineteen: It’s Her Party, and She’ll Cry If She Wants To
Chapter Twenty: Moments We See Again and Again (Conclusion)
Chapter Twenty-One: Race 4, Not the Usual Bunch of Clowns
Chapter Twenty-Two: Fixing the Race
Chapter Twenty-Three: When the World Is Your Big Top (Clowns interview)
Chapter Twenty-Four: Race 5, “My Ox is BROKEN!”
Chapter Twenty-Five: Colin On the Care and Feeding of Tanzanian Cabbies
Chapter Twenty-Six: Marshall Fixes Us A Slice
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Race 6, Dysfunctional Follies
Chapter Twenty-Eight: A Dear Jon Letter
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Jonathan Speaks. Doesn’t Yell. Speaks.
Chapter Thirty: Race 7, Chasing Rob and Amber
Chapter Thirty-One: Race 8, Bringing the Kids
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Final Amazing Race
Chapter Thirty-Three: Visiting the Gaghans
Chapter Thirty-Four: New Combinations
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Most Jaw-Dropping Errors Ever Made By Racers
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Smartest Moves Ever Made By Racers
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Most Endearing Racer Moments
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Race 9?….

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 01:37 pm:   

A little more than a month away; 482 pages.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |