"Ann, Abandoned" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Castro, Adam-Troy » "Ann, Abandoned" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 09:15 am:   

Speculation on the prospects of Ann Darrow, if not rescued from King Kong in the original movie; already sold to upcoming King Kong essay anthology. Am very, very VERY proud of this one, folks.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 09:36 am:   

Can't wait to read it! This is the first I've heard about an upcoming Kong anthology. Kage Baker is working on putting together a "weird Hollywood" anthology and will buy my "The Man Who Would Be Kong" for it, assuming she and her editorial partners can find a publisher. I love all things Kong. I have some trepidations about the upcoming remake, but at least it will be set during the 1930s and will feature dinos, unlike that abomination from the 1970s.

Scott Edelman
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Are you guys talking about two different things? Is there a Kong essay collection _and_ a Kong fiction anthology out there?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 03:26 pm:   

Hi, Scott. Sorry for the confusion. Adam-Troy's collection is an essay collection. The anthology that Kage is working on isn't Kong-specific but will feature weird tales set in or about Hollywood.

adam-troy
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 06:24 am:   

Andrew: if you're in touch with Kage, let her know I'd love to be part of such a project!

adam-troy
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 06:27 am:   

And I have nothing but confidence about the upcoming remake. Peter Jackson has thus far done no wrong, and his intent for the film, as discussed in interviews, seems noble. (He has even stated that he wouldn't be making it at all, if he thought today's kids would give the black and white original a chance. He's right to think not. Depressingly so.)

I am looking forward to his THE LOVELY BONES, as well.

Andrew: wanna swap Kongs for reading purposes?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

Sure thing, Adam-Troy. We could stick them in the mail or trade in person at Oasis Con, whichever you'd prefer. I haven't exchanged emails with Kage about the anthology in progress in several months, so I should drop her a line to find out how it's coming along. I'll certainly mention your interest. By the way, I was wondering whether you'd ever seen or heard of an earlier anthology of essays about King Kong, The Girl in the Hairy Paw, published right around the time the first Kong remake hit the theaters, in 1976 or thereabouts. It's worth looking up if you don't have a copy. I recall that it included a long speculation on what had occurred to Ann Darrow on Skull Island off-camera; the essay's author assumed that the natives had given her a quick gynocological exam to ensure that she was a virgin before offering her to Kong. Also, Dark Horse Comics just released a hardback graphic novel that is both a sequel and prequel to the original King Kong film, dealing with Kong's origins and a second trip that Carl Denham makes to Skull Island, following Kong's death in New York. I'll probably pick that one up soon.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   

Or we can e-mail 'em to each other.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:49 am:   

Spawn of the 'sixties as I am, I often forget about the convenience of email. Will do.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 07:52 am:   

Adam-Troy, just wanted to let you know I sent Kage and Rosemary a note requesting an update on the status of the "weird Hollywood" antho. I also let them know you'd be interested in submitting something, if they're still collecting submissions. By the way, I'll be reading your "Marionettes" story on the F&SF site today or tomorrow (I misplaced my hard copy of the issue it appeared in); I know that the end of this month is the deadline for Nebula voting, and, despite having a newborn and a toddler in the house, I don't want to totally blow off my first opportunity to vote for the awards.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 06:05 am:   

"Ann, Abandoned" will appear first in the BenBella sampler, their collection of representative essays from various books in their Smartpop series: a publication given out free to bookbuyers. It represents the Kong volume, of course.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   

The Kong volume is out, with "Ann, Abandoned" in it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration