VOSSOFF AND NIMMITZ: JUST A COUPLE OF... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Castro, Adam-Troy » VOSSOFF AND NIMMITZ: JUST A COUPLE OF IDIOTS REUPHOLSTERING SPACE AND TIME « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:17 am:   

VOSSOFF AND NIMMITZ: JUST A COUPLE OF IDIOTS REUPHOLSTERING SPACE AND TIME has been confirmed as a mass-market reprint paperback in January 1995.

Aggravated Author
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

Did I say 1995? (Shaking my head) I meant 2005.

And hold on for a major announcement re same.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 09:39 am:   

Hey, Adam,

How are things down in South Florida? I'm still bummed that one of your storms down there (now I can't remember which one; there were so many this past year) cancelled my bookstore appearance in Coral Gables. I haven't been down to the Miami area, my old stomping grounds, in about five years. I was looking forward to meeting you, too. Well, maybe in 2006, when the next book comes out. I'll be watching these boards for your coming major announcement. Take care!

Jonathan K. Stephens
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 04:26 pm:   

Hey there Adam-Troy,

I'm familiar with your postings from over at Webderland, and I've read about this book coming up with interest. What's the chances of buying a signed copy directly from you, a la Jay's efforts on ebay?

regards,

Jonathan

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 08:24 am:   

Hey, Andrew, Jonathan.

The major announcement is not a happy one, alas. Ibooks, with whom I've experienced an, ah, somewhat less than totally smooth relationship over the course of my four Spider-Man novels for them, delayed the mass-market paperback edition of VOSSOFF AND NIMMITZ by almost eight months, not telling me even as I came within a week of the avowed publication date.

Nor did they answer any of my emails, so I had to petition the publisher of the Hardcover with queries in order to find out.

It's now supposedly coming out in September / October, but who knows?

The hardcover is still available via Wildside, but my (one) remaining copy is somewhere in storage, so buying it directly from me is a no-go. However, whether you get a copy of that, wait for the paperback, or get one of the other collections, feel free to send it along (with a return mailer) and I'll personalize it however you'd like.

Andrew alone: I look forward to it. Meanwhile, I just read FAT WHITE VAMPIRE BLUES in its entirety on a flight to Vegas, enjoyed it tremendously, and will be running the local discussion group on that and Leigh Richards' CALIPHIA'S DAUGHTERS in just a couple of weeks.

A-TC

Jonathan K Stephens
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

Hi Adam-Troy,

Auk! You must be just so happy with Ibooks! My condolences, I'll just quietly get on the waiting list for the paperback.

best,

Jonathan

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

Dear Adam,

Sorry to hear about your travails with your publisher. I've got tales of my own; I'm finding out that every writer does, whether their publisher is a small independent or a big house. I'm glad you enjoyed FWVB. . . you should really enjoy Bride of the Fat White Vampire, as well. Let me know how that discussion group goes!

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   

Or, Jonathan, check out AN ALIEN DARKNESS or A DESPERATE DECAYING DARKNESS, both available at trade paperback prices!

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 03:04 pm:   

Say, I just sent an email to Judi Castro of the South Florida Science Fiction Society, offering to do a phone-in to their February 19th book discussion of Fat White Vampire Blues (I googled the book title and saw that the event was coming up). But the connection between this group and the event you'd mentioned didn't click in my head until a couple of hours later. Is Judi a relation of yours?

Good luck with those iBooks folks.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 02:27 am:   

Andrew: you can say that (says the occasional insomniac typing while his lovely wife snores in the next room). I'd seen your e-mail and figured you knew.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 09:35 am:   

Ah, small world! Well, as I mentioned in my email, if my father relocates to Hollywood-Fort Lauderdale as he's been threatening to do for the past several years, my family and I will be making regular trips down that way. Also, my mother-in-law owns a condo down there that she never uses, and she's always asking Dara and I if we want to go down and stay a while there. We'll most likely take her up on that. How big is the SFSFS? What sort of a con is Tropicon? Do you think the con's organizers would be interested in having me as a guest one of these years?

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:54 am:   

Alas, attrition has taken its toll. SFSFS is just the bare bones of the club it was just a few years ago. It is no longer large enough to accomodate Tropicon (which has, over the years, hosted figures as diverse as Will Eisner, Robert Bloch, Neil Gaiman, and Kris Rusch). But if you pass through, the members of the club would join you for dinner or something.

Oasis, in Orlando in May, is still going strong.

Jonathan K Stephens
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   

Hey there Adam-Troy,

Ok, I don't want to wait, so I bit the bullet and ordered the hardback from Amazon. I figger anything with a Melies tribute cover I'm going to like anyway! 'Sides, I've wanted to read something by you for awhile but (sorry) not into comic book novels.

S'funny, reading your mail to Andrew (I still feel sort of sneaky about it), I twigged to the title of his book, which is one I also wanted to read! So that's on its way too!

best,

Jonathan

Lyn Nichols
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   

Hi Adam,
I don't know if you'll remember me; I've been sort of off-line (no writing, no conventions, no boards) for about 10 years. But we did have a few good conversations at various conventions back in the mid-90s.
I saw your posts and since I'm trying to resurrect my muse, figured I'd pop in and say hello.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 03:29 pm:   

Jonathan: Don't feel bad about not wanting to read the Spidey novels. I mean, I'm proud of them, as far as that goes, but the short story collections offer a more accurate taste of my voice and a wider representation of the various genres I practice. VOSSOFF AND NIMMITZ is me going for cheep laffs. Hope you enjoy.

Lyn: yes, of course I remember you! I remember corresponding with you on the late lamented GEnie and I recall being with you at one of the World Horror Cons (or maybe World Fantasy) some time ago. It would have to be about a decade ago, or more, as I moved to Florida in 1995 and went to my most recent World Horror (Eugene, Or.), in 1996. (Reasons: writing more sf than horror these days, World Horror became more marginal, and New York was more local to more conventions than Florida could ever be.) Hope you're doing well.

LynNichols
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 04:42 pm:   

Adam -
Small world, it seems. I moved to Central Florida (Palm Bay) in 1997. I only lived there for two years, though. Life-events required that I moved to Kansas, which is where I am now.
I am hoping to be able to return to Florida permanently sometime in the near future -- depends on whether I can find a job there, though.
I miss GEnie, even now. No other site has succeeded in recreating the ambience, nor collected that unique mix of writers, neos, editors and well...friends.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 07:23 am:   

Dear Adam-Troy and Lyn,

My friend (now gone, sadly) George Alec Effinger was a big afficianado of GEnie during much of the nineties. I know he was a heavy participant on the boards. Do either of you recall corresponding with him? He founded the writing workshop in New Orleans that I've been a member of for the past ten years.

Oh, Adam, I'm sorry to hear about SFSFS's gradual decline. We had a similar group here in New Orleans, NOSFFF (New Orleans Science Fiction and Fantasy Federation) that used to put on a wonderful annual convention that typically attracted folks of the caliber of Connie Willis. But, as is the nature of voluntary organizations, the leaders decided they couldn't put in the time anymore, and no one else of similar talents stepped up to the plate. So it went away.

But I'll certainly let you know the next time I'm down in your neck of the woods, and I'd be delighted to have dinner with the remaining members of the group.

LynNichols
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 04:27 pm:   

Andrew,

Yes, I do remember chatting with George on GEnie. If I remember correctly, he had a fine wit. I'm so sorry to hear he's no longer with us.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 07:49 am:   

Lyn, George passed away in early 2002 due to complications of a chronic illness. Your memory serves you well regarding his wit; he was renowned in the SF field for his humor and repartee. It was a real pleasure to attend my writing workshop's Christmas parties and join the huddle around George, who would dazzle us with stories and asides. He is very missed.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

Effinger (who I met once or twice, but didn't really know), was seriously ill for much of his life, and lived much of it on borrowed time.

He reminds me in that respect of a good friend who is currently fighting complications of his own degenerative condition.

Sad stuff.

LynNichols
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   

I remember a few chats with GAE regarding chronic illnesses. He was a great help in getting me through some rough seas dealing with my son's chronic kidney disease.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 09:38 am:   

Lyn, thanks for letting me know that. George had a big heart. He deserved better than he got; I wish he could've lived into a healthy old age and shared with us a third or a fourth flowering of his writing, much as Jack Williamson, Fred Pohl, and Bob Sheckley have (especially Jack. . . that man is a wonder). If George could've hung on for even a few more years, I'm sure, based upon the projects he was working on when he died, that his career would've experienced a major renaissance. You can find some of the pieces he was working on at the end in his first Golden Gryphon Press collection, Budayeen Nights.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:39 pm:   

Hey, A-TC, did you ever hear back from iBooks about them scheduling VOSSOFF AND NIMMITZ?

Reason I ask is, I m in the same boat as you with my DREAMS OF THE COMPASS ROSE, and I haven't heard anything back from my query.

*sigh*

adam-troy castro
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 06:20 am:   

Take this to e-mail, Vera. (I don't know yours off-hand, but you can click on my name, as I always include a link. Or, if you feel like it, you can call me, using the number in the SFWA directory.)

Bottom line: it's my impression that, as of right now, none of the books optioned from Wildside are on the schedule.

Jonathan
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 04:05 am:   

have you guys tried emailing byron directly? if not, drop me an email and i'll give you the contact. i'm at jstrahan at iinet dot net dot au. - jonathan

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

I have the e-mail, but thanks.

JKS
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 07:18 am:   

Hey There Adam-Troy,

Right, those two idiots of yours arrived in their pricey red hardcover and messed up my equilibrium completely. Not only did I smile all the way through the book, I also snickered and was heard to laugh out lound at least three times; totally ruining my hard won image as an auditor. I'm holding you personally responsible! Now you may think of these stories as just piffle and not worthy to be considered amoung your other offerings, but they're damn amusing piffle! In fact the world needs more stories like those. In fact, WRITE MORE OR BE CURSED! Now I can understand how you've written yourself into a bind, but how about V & N: The Early Adventures!

Hoping against hope,

Jonathan

adam-troy
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 06:40 am:   

Jonathan:

glad you liked it!

I have vague plans of writing a Dejah Shapiro adventure, some time soon, in which the boys may or may not appear, but I'm not doing any more short fiction until I finish the novel in progress, so it may be a while.

The paperback, it should be noted, is still not on the schedule. This has been the source of some discussion.

Sigh.

But thanks again.

A-TC

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration