Shipping tip Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Mamatas, Nick » Shipping tip « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:33 am:   

I hate styrofoam packing noodles. Not only do they choke the life out of the planet, they end up all over the place whenever you open a box, get underfoot, chewed on by pets, etc.

Obnoxious stuff.

However, there is an alternative right in front of our faces...EGG NOODLES. Not loose of course, but in bags. I've been using bags of no-frills egg noodles in packages for years. Not only does the stuff I send out get there undamaged, but the recipient gets free pasta and the landfills end up a bit less crowded with toxic gunk.

So if you're shipping out stuff for eBay or for some small press, take it from me: hit your local supermarket and load up on cheap egg noodles first. You'll be glad you did.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   

I wonder what the weight/volume/cost ratio is for Egg Noodles, vs Popcorn? Its an intriguing Idea... Not sure if it is cost effective on the large scale... But I will keep it in mind.

There are Bio-degradable "ghost Poo" packing penuts (the ones that totally dissolve in water). Not sure if they are any more environmentally sound, in the long run, but at least the break down. They are, however, much more expensive.

If you DO get packing penuts in the mail… save them and re-use them (or give them to somebody who will use them. Don’t throw them away.)

-jl

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:49 pm:   

You certainly ship a lot more stuff than I do -- perhaps a warehouse club?

Of course, I would save the packing peanuts, but then what would I do with all these extra egg noodles I have around the house?

Turner
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 01:35 pm:   

MAS MAS MAS. The 'ghost poo' packing peanuts are made entirely of starch. That's why they break down in water.

I don't remember specifically what it is that they're made out of, but they're made out of something that has a biological origin and is biodegradeable. So yes, they're a lot better for the environment.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register