Fourteen month rejection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Mamatas, Nick » Fourteen month rejection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 03:31 pm:   

I submitted a story to Black Gate magazine on April 12, 2002.

Got a rejection slip yesterday. It reads in part:

Thanks for the submission, and for your (considerable!) patience...

Very impressive.  This is a terrific tale, well written and extremely original.  While the prose style is a little forced at times, in general it works very well.  However, after some consideration, it's not right for Black Gate. We're oversold on contemporary fantasy, and looking for more adventure-oriented fiction at the moment. I'm afraid I'll have to return it, with regrets.

I hope you'll consider us again.

Gee, why wouldn't I consider them again? I mean, if you're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars publishing and promoting a novel from an unknown quantity and in an uncertain economy of course you'd take your....oh wait, we're talking about a 3000-word short story to be squeezed into one of those giant quarterly Black Gate volumes. Why on earth does it take 14 months to read submissions?!

Actually, I feel a little sorry for this guy since he thinks I was patient. I actually forgot all about the submission a few months later, sent the story out again, and got an acceptance, check, and six Stoker recs (one short of the ol' prelim ballot) out of the deal.

Ah well.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 07:19 am:   

Heh. That'll teach 'em.

I got a very similiar response (actually, nearly word for word) on a nine- or ten-month rejection from them. Which I didn't understand because my story was packed full of adventure, crammed to the creases. So yeah, I won't be considering them again either.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register