Bloodsuckers hire bloodsuckers to sue... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Mamatas, Nick » Bloodsuckers hire bloodsuckers to sue for bloodsucking infringement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:43 am:   

The nth generation vampire rip-off arists at White Wolf are suing the nth+1 generation vampire rip-off artists who made the film Underworld.

The hilarious court papers claim 60 points of similarity between the two, including this one:

In the World of Darkness, wood does not kill vampires. In Underworld, the werewolves do not use wood to kill vampires, nor mention it as an option.

Remember kids, not embracing the opposite of an idea is the same as stealing an idea!

Read the rest of the suit here:
http://www.mataglap.com/whitewolf.complaint.pdf

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 01:59 pm:   

That would be funny if it wasn't serious. Why doesn't White Wolf sue Ann Rice, the Bram Stoker estate and anybody who told vampire folktales? Going through their list of "similarities" I kept thinking "But that idea was part of [Dracula, Interview With the Vampire, traditional folklore, or many other vampire stories]."

White Wolf did sue their own fan club too.

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:08 pm:   

I think the fact that it is serious makes it doubly funny. I also like the complaints that werewolves and vampires use their teeth and claws in fights, and that the lead character is an excellent warrior and stubborn -- you know, just like every other action hero in the history of American film.

I'm also reminded of the time when the WWF packaged the indy worker Vampire Warrior as Gangrel, leading to a minor USENET shitstorm on the part of a few high-up White Wolf employees about lawsuits and rip-offs and copying -- the company had it sooo together that their own developers didn't know that the marketing department had licensed the name to the WWF months before the character premiered.

Luís
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:29 pm:   

Hey, Mike Tyson uses his teeth in combat too, and WW never sued him!

Anyway, this reminds me of an incident involving WW some three or four years ago, when I was fact-checking for one of their "Vampire: The Dark Ages" supplements and found remarkable similarities between the text in the sourcebook and that in one of the places I used for reference. It was a pain in the ass to compile a list of corrections, as the research done by the writer (and the writer of the original online Catholic Encyclopedia entries) was shit; not to mention a waste of my time since no one bothered to rectify that or, in fact, anything. As far as I could tell, the text in the final book is identical to the draft.

Now, it's not clear if the material they ripped-off was public domain, but what this really shows is the kind of shit you get for the ridiculous cover prices they put on their books.

My interest in Vampire was pretty much dead by then, this was just the final nail through the coffin.

Best,
Luís

Luís
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:45 pm:   

"Now, it's not clear if the material they ripped-off was public domain, but what this really shows is the kind of shit you get for the ridiculous cover prices they put on their books."

Not to mention the rest, of course . . . Let's call it CoPRoS: the Copy & Paste Roleplaying System.

Luís

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register