Best Short Novels 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Wexler, Robert Freeman » Best Short Novels 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wexler
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:13 am:   

My contributor copy just came. I never thought something of mine would appear in a publication with a spaceship on the cover. Kinda neat.

http://www.sfbc.com/doc/full_site_enrollment/detail/fse_product_detail.jhtml?rep ositoryId=648618010

It's a nice looking book and I'm looking forward to reading the other novellas.

The other neat thing about it is that now In Springdale Town is eligible for a Nebula nominations. It was previously disqualified because it was a UK publication.

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:52 pm:   

Glad to hear you've got the book, and that it's cool looking. I'm looking forward to seeing it too. I'm also really pleased to hear about the Neb Nom thing - very cool.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:21 pm:   

Damn that book's got some good stuff . . . isn't it about time Walter Jon Williams had a new collection out, covering "Green Leopard Plague," that Nietzsche story from WORLDS THAT WEREN'T, and whatever else he's got uncollected?

I also finally read IN SPRINGDALE TOWN within the past couple weeks. Very good. Until the last five pages I thought it was very well written but not terribly impressive. Then I got to the end. Well done. Can't wait for CIRCUS.

Wexler
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:32 am:   

Hi Mastage,

Glad you liked it. The ending gave me a lot of trouble but I think I came up with the right thing.

Prime is going to be offering a discounted pre-order of Circus sometime soon, on the Wildside website. I'll post details when I have them.

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

"John C. Wright describes life in a distant future after the sun has gone out and true humans are confined to a single giant pyramid in “Awake in the Night.”"

Sounds like a description of Hodgson's THE NIGHT LAND. Is it some kind of a tribute story? (I remember an anthology coming out in the UK with stories set in the NIGHT LAND "universe". Is this from that?) Anyone know? Just curious.

In any event, congrats on the publication!

JV
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 07:25 am:   

This is the precursor to Nightland. Wright's great-grandfather wrote this long story back in the 1800s and came into contact with Hodgson, who then took some of the ideas and images for Nightland. Arkham House has a book about the whole fascinating back story coming out next year. I think it's called "Wright and Hodgson: The Hidden Agenda". Due to legal wrangles, the Wright story didn't appear until last year--ironically enough, in the Nightland tribute anthology.

JeffV

John C. Wright
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 02:31 pm:   

JeffV, please do not confuse my readers.

The AWAKE IN THE NIGHT story was dictated to me in a dream or vision once John Carter, Warlord of Mars, manifested himself in a graveyard on the grounds of my ancestral home by astral projection. Some of the details of the story were later explained to me by Carson Napier of Amtor via his interplanetary telepathy (learned from the East Indian mystic Chand Kabi); Julian the Fifth, communing with his future incarnation Julian the Seventh, explained the final results of Telemachos' search for Perithoos in post-historic future.

Every word of this romance is accuarate and authentic as it was told to me, and I have only edited certain passages for brevity, and eliminated certain dangerous anachronisms at the direction of one of the agents of the Legion of Time.

Naturally, I cannot account for Mr. Hodgson writing a story so strangely similar to mine nearly a hundred years before this current date! Similar places names, persons and events appear in both accounts! It may be as Julian the Fifth hinted darkly to me, that THERE IS NO SUBSTANCE TO TIME, and that Mr. Hodgson was visited by similar future-travelling correspondents as I was.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register