Lord Dunsany Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Lord Dunsany « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 09:17 am:   

Now and again in life, I find, one reads something that you know will haunt you forever. I've just had that experience with a chance reading of a Jorkens story by Lord Dunsany entitled 'The Electric King'. It's about a businessman (who runs a factory of some huge electric dynamos) who is chased by madness (or rather I'd read it as an unscratchable itch in the brain about self-fulfilment and obsession) in the form of a rat with a bent tail. He tries to solve this by travelling in the East and experimenting with oriental religions. I won't tell you how it develops, as it will spoil this (I'm sure classic) short story. Des

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 04:27 pm:   

"Prayer". Yes, it's a good one.

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 06:35 pm:   

I haven't read any Jorkens; I'm eagerly awaiting the Collected Editions.

Rhys
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:00 am:   

I haven't read that story for ages. It's the sense of depressing menace that is so powerful in that tale. One of the best Jorkins stories. I also like the one about the beast which has learned to use fire.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration