HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Small Press

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Small Press « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 05:10 am:   

Anther survey. Do you eschew or embrace the term 'Small Press' for the publications you publish and/or your work you get published? And why?
Des

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 06:47 am:   

I prefer "independent", but don't mind "small press". "Small" carries an inherently pejorative sense, and though most small presses are indeed that, others are ill-served by the term.

Best,
Luís

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 01:09 pm:   

I'm with Luís. In particular, I don't like how often author bios contain the phrase "as well as in various small press publications", which I think is as much a result of the resonances and connotations of the word as it is a result of what the Small Press actually is.

Des
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 05:24 am:   

Well, that's a small sample so far - but a beautifully formed one! Thanks, Nicholas and Luis.
My own vote is for re-invigorating the term 'Small Press' as a banner and movement. People seem to have abandoned it in favour of different, more pretentious terms. But using an *ostensibly* self-deprecatory term (like Small Press) with force and determination adds strength to one's conviction and chance of success. Do it with abandon. The New Abandon IMHO. :-|
Des

Abandoned steve r
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 07:51 am:   

Macmillan, Faber, Transworld, and a few others have published my work, but my agent is working hard on securing a contract with The Small Press. We can but dream!

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 08:26 am:   

I think my problem with "Small Press" is simply that it suggests that size matters. I don't like the fact that the only property associated with it by the label is the fact that it's small. It would be like marketing a fine wine as "messy when spilled"; it's true, but it isn't really the point, is it?

Des
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 08:34 am:   

I feel that is a correct point, Nicholas. You have brought out the fact that size indeed doesn't actually matter - and that's why we should reclaim 'Small Press'. Our presses, financial backing, turnover, print runs *are* simply smaller than Limited Liabilty Companies (who are the Big Press). Des

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 10:12 am:   

I disagree, friendly-like. :-) Because size shouldn't be an issue, I don't think it should be the focal point of a label. Surely there's a more significant commonality shared by Nemo, LCRW and Electric Velocipede than the fact that the people who run them don't have such an awful lot of money to throw around?

Rhys
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 06:29 am:   

Instead of "small press" as a label how about "human press"?

As a contrast to "inhuman (or "coporate") press"?

Des
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 09:38 am:   

'coporate' = corporate ?
But Corporate comes from corpus the body (more akin to human than inhuman).
Or copro-(something)? or co-operate?
Co-operative Press? Maybe?
I still like 'Small Press' best, a banner where the hinterland of its nineties nostalgia and its still to be assessed publishing achievement empowers this as a New Movement -- *The* Small Press where the best writers will really want to get published ... as well as the provenance of thousands upon thousands of nineties Small Press magazines and anthologies to be discovered in car boot sales far into the future and a provenance as supplied by the candles-burnt-at-both-ends of fiction written only because the writers *meant* it. The best fiction is off-the-wall. IMO
Des

Des
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 04:52 am:   

To continue, I am proud of the Small Press and want anything I publish to have its own rationale as Small Press -- which probably means it's almost wholly read by other writers and other Small Press publishers. It's the way I grew up as a writer.

Apart from the fiction published by the big limited liability mass market Company publishers, is *any* fiction being read by readers who are outside of the Small Press writerly circles and other budding writers?

The dilemma is needing also to gain a non-writerly market for the sake of the writers I publish. Do other Small Press publishers have the same dilemma and how successful have they been in bridging this gulf (and does the gulf *need* bridging at all?)

Des

Des
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:26 am:   

I thought I would give a list of some Small Press mags that were significant to me in the eighties and nineties and part of what I call the Golden Age of the Small Press (UK and USA). Where are their editors now? Do you know? Can you get them to post here? (I've included the name of the editor where I remember it without getting the mags out to look!)

Cerebretron (Alex bardy)
Opus (mike Heard?)
Third Half (Kevin Troop)
Auguries (Nik)
Dark Dreams (Jeff Dempsey)
Agog (Ed)
Fat Knite
The Scanner (Kevin?)
Jabberwocky (Jeff?)
Skeleton Crew (Dave Hughes)
Works (Dave W Hughes)
Inkshed
New Visions (adrian)
Aslan
Flickers & Frames (John)
Krax (Andy)
Dementia 13 (Saw Pam recently!)
Trash City (Jim)
Overspace
Opussum Holler Tarot
Invasion of the Sad man-Eating Mushrooms
Peace & Freedom
Exuberance (Jason Smith)
Deathrealm (Mark rainey)
Gothic Light (Abe)
The Nightside/ Gathering Darkness (Dan Good)
Peripheral Visions (Rob?)
Midnight in Hell (george Houston)
Peeping Tom (Stuart and david)
Lost
Psychopoetica
Crypt of Cthulhu (Robert M Price)
Magic Realism/ Theatre of Blood
Vandeloecht's Fiction Magazine
Elegia
Nox
Rattler's tale (antony)
Massacre (Roberta)
Wicked Mystic
Bizarre Bazaar (Stan tal)
Vollmond (Andre Paine)
Carnal Chameleon
Vinyl Elephant
Fantasy Macabre (Jessica)
Grotesque (David Logan)
(and that only takes me up to 1993 and excluding many)
Maybe some more for later years soon...
Des

Des
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 09:35 am:   

As promised above, here is a continuation of the list I started from The Golden Age of The Small Press (print publication titles now missed because they no longer exist): And there are very many I didn't list at all.
I think the Golden Age of the Small Press is possibly over, subsumed by new technology of printing and by the Internet and by publishing attitudes with Corporate needs, though there are print magazines still carrying the banner.
My accolade for the major flag-bearers now are Trevor Denyer in UK with his wonderful long-running ROADWORKS and John Klima in USA with his 'Electric Velocipede'. *They* have the Road Maps now.

From 1993 0nwards: The Banshee, Thre Barrelhouse, Roisin Dubh, Night Dreams (Kirk S King), Wearwolf, Alternaties, Spooge Extroosions, Ocular, Masque (Lesley), Black Tears (Adam Bradley), Dreams from the Stranger’s Café (John), Ammonite, the kore, Stygian Articles, Necropolis, Beyond The Brink, possibly my favourite ever small press mag: Psychotrope (mark Beech), Red Eft, Heliocentric Net, The Unnameable, Year 2000, Substance (Paul Beardsley), Ah Pook Is Here, Skeleton Girls, Saccade, Transversions, Kimota, Axiom, Gibbering Madness, Broadsword, Whispers From The Dark, Spotted Rhubarb, Beyond The Boundaries, Urges, Mystique, The Ultimate Unknown, Samsara, Freezer Burn, Footsteps (Ian Walker), Sierra Heaven (QUIZ ANSWER: Alex Bardy who earlier did Cerebretron), Auslander, Chronicles of Disorder, Black Moon, Palace Corbie, Atsatrohn,(Wayne Edwards), Butterfly and Bloomer, Barfly, The End (Jeffery Thomas), Cthulhu Codex, Twisted, Geek Love, Outer Darkness, The Black Lily, New Hope International (Gerald England, Odyssey, Strix (Sue Phillips), Thingmajig, Nasty Piece of Work (David Green), The Bloody Quill, The Inflated Graveworm, Visionary Tongue, Iron, Lateral Moves, Unreal Dreams (Richard Bennett), Cthulhu Cultus, Imelod, The Heliograph, The Fractal, Voyage, The Dream Zone (Paul Bradshaw), The Asphalt Jungle, Sackcloth & Ashes (Andy Busby), The Edge (Graham Evans), Strange Attractor (Rick Cadger), Unhinged (Paul Lockey) , End of Millennium (G.A.Coyle) plus many more.

Dflewis
Username: Dflewis

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   

Many of the covers of the above mags are shown here: The Baser Pulps.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |