HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Mark Samuels

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Mark Samuels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 04:23 am:   

I think it highly appropriate to mention here a highly aesthetic hardback book I have just completed reading. THE WHITE HANDS AND OTHER WEIRD TALES by Mark Samuels (Tartarus Press 2003).
I feel this is a landmark publication of Weird Fiction, one that you will recall hearing mentioned (possibly) here first -- combining many of the best ingredients of Machen, Ligotti, Lovecraft, Zivkovic and an extra over-riding ingredient which is definitely Samuels. I don't wish to damn it with a recommendation from DF Lewis, but genuinely and objectively this is a very significant publication if you enjoy this sort of literature. It has the air and provenance of age and well-trusted pedigree whilst being completely new and fresh. The stories are unbelievably haunting. IMHO. Des

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 11:47 am:   

Nice to hear it. I buy most Tartarus Press books but there was some mixup and I haven't received this one yet. I think next week. John Pelan also had very good things to say about it.

Clifford
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 11:34 am:   

It looks interesting and that's quite a recommendation, but I can't afford to spend $40 for under 200 pages. Hopefully some day someone will pick up the fact that there's a market for readers, not just collectors, and publish things that normal people can afford.

Des
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

Clifford, indeed I feel it is a beautifully made book and worth every penny I spent on it. But that's not the point - I was recommending something I felt worthy as it stands and as I found out -- and part of the aspect below to which I earlier alluded is also intrinsic in its presentation:
"It has the air and provenance of age and well-trusted pedigree whilst being completely new and fresh."
Des

Cliff
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 01:23 pm:   

Indeed that's well and good but the book has become a luxury and a collector's item and I regret that no one has the right to lament that literature published at $2 per page does not get the recognition and readership it deserves! But this is all I will say on the matter.

Des
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 01:36 pm:   

$2 per page? It's 20c or 13p per page. Unless my maths is wrong! Des

Cliff
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   

I was referring to the $400 edition. OK I was wrong. But made my point. Don't mean to take it up with you personally, I'll keep the mouth shut now again.

Eddie M Angerhuber
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 04:21 am:   

This book is one of the most beautiful and one of the best Weird Fiction books written by small press authors that I have read in the last years. I highly recommend it. Yes it might be expensive but it's worth every penny of it.
Eddie M. Angerhuber

mark samuels
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:20 pm:   

Cliff--Sure you'll be delighted to learn that there will be a paperback reprint of my collection "The White Hands" available for £9.99 from early Sept 2004. Details at the Tartarus Web-site...

:-)

Best wishes
Mark Samuels

des
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 08:06 am:   

Stephen Jones' review of 'White Hands' by Mark Samuels here:
http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030.asp?tid=2&scid=16&iid=2599

I agree with this completely (see my post above dated June 2003!)
des

des
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 02:04 pm:   

Hey, just remembered. Anyone who owns a copy of the 'Dagon' DF Lewis Special of 1989 will find inside it a photo of a young Mark Samuels sitting on a park bench. :-)
des

mark samuels
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 04:28 pm:   

Des--

Que fuerte...en 1989 soy un nino

Adios caballero
Mark

des
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:50 am:   

LA VIDA ES SUEÑO
-- Pedro Calderón de la Barca.

Chris
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Mark has a new novella due out *soon* from PS Publishing - it's set in London and features zombies if I'm not mistaken. :-)

Duke of Omlettes
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   

That's original.

mark samuels
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 03:18 pm:   

Meow.

It does however also contain a portrait of a Welsh troilist and narcissist called "Emrys Drech". I hope the "Duke of Omlettes" appreciates the--ahem--tribute.

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:36 am:   

Mark Samuels has a brand new website (his first one):
http://www.marksamuels.net/

Please note my comment on WHITE HANDS, i.e. the first comment above in June 2003 !
des

des lewis
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 06:11 am:   

I've just started a series of contents lists from landmark Small Press mags of the eighties and nineties (with odd comment or two). They start here:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2006/06/stygian-dreamhouse-c.html
with "The Stygian Dreamhouse" from 1988, as edited and published by Mark Samuels.
des

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:02 am:   

In furtherance of this thread started June 2003, a paperback of the masterpiece WHITE HANDS has now been published as I understand from this announcement by Mark himself elsewhere:
http://p082.ezboard.com/fshocklinesforumfrm2.showMessage?topicID=42451.topic

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |