Yesterfang Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Yesterfang « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:44 am:   

'Yesterfang' is a real word. Find out more about it with my new novel just started here:
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/hiver_jawn_1.htm

entitled
YESTERFANG
The Adventures of Hiver Jawn
[Don't Eat Yellow Snow]

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 09:02 am:   

Other words and phrases I've 'invented' or 'exhumed' from 1967 onwards:

'zeroism, egnisomicon, egnisism' in conjunction with PF Jeffery (1967), 'whofage' in conjunction with PF Jeffery (1973), 'agra aska' (1984), 'weirdmonger' (1988), use of 'brainwright' in modern times (1990), use of 'yesterfang' in modern times (1997), 'wordhunger' (1999), 'nemonymous, 'nemonymity', late-labelling, veils-&-piques' (2001), 'denemonise' (2002), 'megazanthus', 'weirdonymous', 'chasing the noumenon' (2003), 'wordonymous', 'wordominous', 'the-ominous-imagination' (2004), 'a woven fire-wall of words', 'nemoguity', 'vexed texture of text', 'fictipathy', 'nemotion', 'the hawler', 'the angel megazanthus', 'klaxon city', 'horrorism' when used as a word for the philosophy of horror fiction (2005), 'publication-on-reading', 'antipodal angst', 'the tenacity of feathers', 'a writer's mandala', 'wordy weird', 'nemophilia / nemophobia', 'magic fiction' as the obverse of the more common expression 'magic realism', 'weirdtongue' as the 'name' of a language, 'Glistenberry' as an alternative name for 'Glastonbury', horror fiction as 'the rudiments of myth & melancholy', 'tonguage' (2006).

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 11:48 am:   

I think agra aska might be a real word. At least both parts are real words I believe. The old Greeks (at least those who hung out in Turkey) used to go to the Agra when they wanted to blow some cash and look at the women and wear purple turbans and eat parrot brains and that sort of thing. Or maybe I am wrong. It is also a city in India which I vaguely recall having visited (there was a bear on the side of the road). I am almost sure that Aska is a Sanskrit word, though I dont have my dictionaries here. Probably the transliteration would be ascha though.

Sorry for butting in............................

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   

It was originally short for
niagara alaska

but of course that would have made it
agara aska ! :-?

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   

?

Dflewis
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:26 am:   

Yes, Brendan, I originally mispelled Niagara as Niagra (in 1984 when AA was first written)! Shame on me.

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:55 am:   

I wonder if anyone else has 'invented' or 'exhumed' words - or misspelled / misused words in finished printed products!?
des

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 01:07 am:   

Ummm. I know someone who has, but I will refrain from naming names in order to protect the guilty.

Dflewis
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 09:45 am:   

Just 'published' part 3 of 'Yesterfang'.

It is an amazing word and concept. I've got it for real in an ancient dictionary.

If writers are about words, then we should peignoir them.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 09:26 am:   

Part 5 today. Taking off...

Nobody seemed to notice above that I was putting words into female dressing-gowns...!
des

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   

I did. It was just too late at night when I saw it to be able to transmit enough for my brain to transmit enough signals to my hands to write something truly unmeaningful.

Dflewis
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 04:08 am:   

All is for the pest in the pest of all possible worlds.

A quote from today's Sutton Hoo episode of Yesterfang.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 02:10 am:   

This novel's become a quest for the pest!
Extract from today's episode 25:

...we shall call it our quest for the pest – no longer a quest for the past, not a search for lost time nor a remembrance of things past, because that stuff’s old hat, because the true past, once accomplished, once lived, once forgotten, is a past that’s marched too far for any quest to reach. So we gradually change the past, by changing the purpose of the quest itself. With this success in neutralising the past with altered goals beyond its own reach, we now seek the pest instead, the pest we should always have sought if it had not been for the similar words confusing us ... so that we can then eventually quench the pest’s poison and stymie its eternally foreseeable ability to bleed mankind dry with its cancers and other diseases of mind and body [...] and we need to gather forces from the dark imaginations of world literature to work with us as counter-spies or clandestine triple bluffs and so forth against the pest that already believes it has got them in its own pocket working against us!

Easy navigation of all my novels-on-line:
http://www.weirdmonger.com

Dflewis
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 05:14 am:   

As this thread is accessed from other portals, I should note here my phrase of:
the parthenogenesis of reality - as a concept regarding artifice and 'magic fiction' as broached on the fiction as religion thread:
http://www.ligotti.net/viewtopic.php?p=5533
des

PS: Please tell me if you think 'Yesterfang' is now finished:
Like 'Weirdtongue', this is an attempt at magic fiction.

^^^
The statue of Sid the Stationer on the lost island of Laputa is now reduced to a left foot with four toes.

Dflewis
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 05:59 am:   

LOST foot with 4 toes

des lewis
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:13 am:   

For those reading it, I have just resumed writing YESTERFANG during a hiatus in writing THE APOCRYFAN.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration