'The Hawler' Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » 'The Hawler' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:45 am:   

A survey.......................

Anyone read THE HAWLER?

Anyone not read it because
(a) it's on-line
(b) it's by DF Lewis
(c) started it but didn't like it?

Anyone who plans to read it in the future?
des

anon
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:51 am:   

(d) I have a huge reading list backlog

My own reason for not reading it is (d). I read very few new novels these days because of (d).

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:09 am:   

(d) is a reason I'd not thought of. But presumably if THE HAWLER was by someone you couldn't get enough of, you would have read it?
des

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:31 am:   

There also should be an (e), i.e because it's self-published.
df lewis

anon
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:32 am:   

Not until its time came (which would be in about the year 2040!)

Basically I'm all fictioned out and need a nice long break from reading. This is reason (e).

So to answer your original question: (d) and (e).

anon
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

Sorry our posts crossed.

Being tired is reason (f)... but yes I am prejudiced against self published books. Just as a matter of instinct, I guess.

Why, aren't you?

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:42 am:   

I don't read fiction on-line nor any self-published work.
df lewis

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:04 am:   

In many ways presenting raw text on-line for print-out or binding as a book (ie publication by the reader) need not be considered as self-publishing?
And the novel - I consider - is either uncommercial or of narrow acquired taste and so this was the only option in a very crowded market to get even one person to read it (which would be a triumph as far as I am concerned)!
des :-)

Anon 2
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   

My reason for not reading it is definitely (a). I've dipped in and out of The Hawler and loved the writing (I haven't read enough of it to comment on the story, but wouldn't be surprised if it was as rare a treat as the writing). Reading short stories online is enough of a chore for me. There's simply something about reading online that cannot be done in long stretches. I'm not of course speaking for everybody, but I suspect the majority feel that way. Reading novels is something that seems to require a certain level of comfort or isolation that is different from the comfort and isolation of sitting in front of a pc. With a book, there's a sort of lack of awareness of the physical object, a kind of melding with the mind and what it's focussing on, that allows you to enter the world of the fiction, whereas reading stuff online just doesn't reach that kind of harmony.

The idea of cutting out the commercial aspect of producing and reading stories is interesting, though there's probably more potential here with music. And there are certain practicalities as regards receiving stories via the web that are too offputing. Printing out a novel, for instance, might end up costing more than the book! And sometimes preserving ink in your printer is an outright necessity. And then there's the physical object itself. Reading stories off A4 paper is cumbersome compared to a printed book. So, even from the point of view not of reading stories online so much as making them available for printing, their are significant problems that are enough to put many people off. And, let's face it, if the idea was really workable, wouldn't it already have happned by now, been a regular done thing?

And then there's the fact that people like and want books. Again, compare music. After a decade or two of CDs, and now even with the advent of MP3 players and free music online etc., the return of vinyl is gaining more and more impetus. Vinyl has character (and many would argue quality) that modern media can't give you. With books I'd say that was even more the case, the reason being that the book form is as near to perfect for the delivery and reception of fiction as you can get (with music, the nearest thing might be having your favourite band playing live in your own living room). E-reading is fine for news stories and blogs and bits of useful or useless information, good enough for short stories maybe, but for extended works of fiction the book offers the perfect medium. It's light, portable, doesn't need looking after (unless you're a collector), doesn't require batteries or need recharged, and they're good ornaments once you're finished them. And you can't break them, which helps.

But, overall, I'd gladly read The Hawler if it was available in a conventional book form.

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:01 pm:   

Thanks for that, Anon2. Enormously valuable food for thought.

I'd just ask one thing - if someone printed (published) a book from the blog's raw text in a special designed bespoke version for their own taste based on how they saw the novel itself - then they got the author to sign it - would that make the cost prohibitive compared to a more traditionally published special edition?
des

anon3
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:05 am:   

Or why not just send the novel to a real publisher?

des
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:23 am:   

Blimey! Hadn't thought of that! :-)

Either wanted people to read it before they are killed by Bird Flu (a major topic of the trilogy itself of which THE HAWLER is the start) or I genuinely believed it would be a waste of time.

des

anons 4 to 30
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:56 am:   

If it's a waste of time, why should we read it?

des
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 07:17 am:   

Not that I thought the novel was intrinsically a waste of time but rather that it would be a waste of time trying it with a traditional publisher.

And I thought one or two people may enjoy it.
des

anon31
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 05:33 pm:   

Are you going through a depression right now? Is that it? A general depression, medical, brain chemicals and all that. It will pass.

des
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 08:28 am:   

No more or no less than normal. 'The Hawler' itself speaks of many moods.
I note 31 is a prime number.

des
www.weirdmonger.com

des
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 02:01 am:   

Finally had some comments on THE HAWLER (my first 'published' novel and the first novel in my trilogy):
http://tinyurl.com/8vpup (two pages on this thread)

des
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 01:14 am:   

I know of several people who have simply printed out my first novel 'The Hawler' from:
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/the_hawler.htm
to read it at their leisure. But a new person has just contacted me (a complete stranger to me until now) and he has bound a few copies in a professionally designed and bound book format - and he is very kindly sending me two copies, one for my own use, and one for me to return with my signature upon it.

I find this very gratifying.

des
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 01:16 am:   

Incidentally, my views on publication of fiction are actually published within the fiction itself:

http://weirdmonger.livejournal.com/2006/01/19/

des
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:34 am:   

I hope no offence has been taken by writers, agents and publishers. Not trying to by-pass anything. I'm only doing it this way as an alternative for uncommercial or unpublishable-by-traditional-means writing (even if one believes in the writing as worth having this chutzpah about!)

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:00 am:   

Brent Zirnheld has kindly allowed me to quote him on THE HAWLER here:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2006/06/important.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration