The Hawler Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » The Hawler « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

Early days - but I've started writing DF Lewis's first novel entitled 'The Hawler' and intend to spend a year doing this.
des

des
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 01:15 am:   

I think Hawler is an airport in Kurdistan which has been closed for some time.

I got the word from the 1901 UK Census records on the Internet (just reached the public domain). My great grandfather in South Wales is described as a 'hawler'. This is probably a misprint for 'hauler' which was someone who transported material from the coalface in a mine up to the suface.
However, there is Guy de Maupassant's classic novella THE HORLA which must be read by anyone who hasn't done so. It had a major influence on me when I was young. The horla is a sort of vampire in this book.

But what is 'The Hawler' to be in DF Lewis' first novel? Open to ideas, if you think it fun to think up ideas for this.
des

T Andrews
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 03:59 am:   

How about a male banshee, Des!

des
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 06:42 am:   

From a member of the public discussion group 'Weirdmonger' on Yahoogroups which has been going nearly 6 years:

The Hawler was a lumbering, not entirely human creature living alone in the Fens as late as the Victorian era. Dickens orignially wrote Abel Magwich in Great Expectations as a hawler, but friends suggested this was a step too far, even for such a phantasmagoric novel. Perhaps he should have been bolder, since the hide of the last English hawler - said by the man who acquired it to have gone by the name of Underwhelm - is to be found in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum, though it is never displayed on account of disputes about authenticity. 'You've got the hide of a hawler' remains a Fenland dialect expression for being thick skinned, though older residents claim there is also a connotation of rottenness about the term.

The hawler was once quite common. So much so, in fact, that a Company of hawlers went so far as to offer their services to Oliver Cromwell during the English Civil War. Since they would not accept the discipline of Cromwell's New Model Army, Cromwell pronounced them 'degenerate beasts' causing them to abjure all connection with human affairs beyond the occasional rape.

The hawler is invariably male and exists only in adult form. The Oxford English Bestiary - surely one of the most invaluable books never written - came to grief when its Editors, Sesband and Wyvestry quarrelled over the entry on the hawler. Sesband contended that a certain number of hawler had existed since prehistoric times, Wyvestry that new examples of the species came into being, coagulating out of the marshes. The quarrell stalled the book completely and the library of completed entries tragically burned in the suspicious housefire which claimed Edgar Sesband's life. Caspian Wyvestry's subsequent monograph On The Hawler, while the only text on the subject, takes the unhelpful form of an insane rant against his former collaborator, telling us next to nothing about the titular creature.

des
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

I may change the title of my first novel to THE NEMONYMOUS as someone has suggested this is a very cool title for a horror novel. And I should do it before someone else does!
des

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:55 am:   

How about a children's book about a rodent that commands an experimental submarine called THE NEMO MOUSE...?

des
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 03:15 am:   

That's a great idea, Rhys. But I've so many ideas fermenting at the moment about DF Lewis' first novel, I'll let you do that one. You have my permission, although I don't think you need my permission. It'll become a time-worn masterpiece: THE NEMO MOUSE by Rhys Hughes. have you written children's stuff before?
des

Rhys
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:28 am:   

No and I have no intention of doing so. I find writing for adults difficult enough. Writing for children is another level of difficulty!

des
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:31 am:   

I agree. Who else would like to write THE NEMO MOUSE as suggested by Rhys? Anyone?
des

T Andrews
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 02:45 am:   

Perhaps this is the creature, here:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2005/06/22/venom-mammal050622.html

T Andrews
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 09:54 am:   

...Or perhaps the above is THE VENO MOUSE.

des
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 09:18 am:   

My novel - either to be entitled THE HAWLER or THE NEMONYMOUS - is coming on well.
I reckon I've written about 10,000 words (the first chapter).
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 01:49 pm:   

I am progressing with the long-hand version of my first novel. But I'm dreading the prospect of typing it all out. Nobody would be able to read my writing and I'll probably be redrafting during this process, so I can't delegate this task, which I would if I could. I can't see myself actually typing it out at all! Do other writers have this barrier to crack and how do they manage?

des
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 02:34 am:   

Further to above, I have now started gradually posting the whole of the first typed draft of my first novel here:

http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/the_hawler.htm

This is a continual process.

I say 'whole' but the last few chapters will eventually be kept for the printed version and not put on the Internet (assuming one day there is a printed version)!

Hope you enjoy it.
des

des
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:01 am:   

Incidentally, I'm trying to bring cliffhangers back into novel writing - ie serialised in the first place on the internet (except for the last three episodes -- which hopefully will make readers buy the complete book (in principle, if the book is any good!))

Has this been attempted before?

There is an enormous amount of prose from THE HAwLER already on the internet - starting from above link, but I've not yet reached the end of the second chapter!!
des

des
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 04:29 am:   

The long hawl! Just finished 18,000 words and only up to the end of the 2nd chapter (part nine (!) on blog city).
des

des
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   

Blog City records seem to show quite a number of people passing through - reading my first novel. Thanks. But, if possible, please leave the odd comment as you go through, from time to time.

des

des
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 02:08 am:   

Part ten of my first novel has just been posted.
Breaking news: This novel seems to be treating - among other things - a brand new concept that can only be described as 'spam dreams'.

des

des
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 02:08 am:   

It's interesting serialising a novel gradually on something like Blog City. I can see statistics of how many have started reading it at the first part and then proceeding in diminishing numbers (so far) for the subsequent parts as they progress.
I'm not sure what that tells me! But it may mean - on the positive side - that readers are just bookmarking where they get up to and continue at a later date.
Whatever the case, I hope you are enjoying THE HAWLER A Nemonymous Novel, possibly to be subtitled Dream Spamming!

des
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

If I say so myself this novel's getting better and better! :-)
Don't be put off by the whimsical start.

des
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:14 am:   

I've now written a new short intro to above on that site.
des

des
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

Just realised 'hawler' can be misread as 'howler'.
;-(
des

Carole C
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   

Howler is also the nasty letter in Harry Potter, ooh, ooh, and while I was writing that I just remembered Howl by Ginsberg (I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix), and also there's The Scream of course (except that isn't howl) and then there's ...

des
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:15 am:   

Thanks, Carole.

Now included some background reading once you've finished part eleven.

btw Hawler = Horla

as well as Howler

I feel that The Horla is one of the greatest vampire stories (by Guy de Maupassant).
des

des
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:03 am:   

The first eight people from whom I receive an email at
nemonymous@hotmail.com
telling me that they have properly read all the first twelve parts of THE HAWLER from beginning to end (with a 100 word description of the plot to that point) will be eligible for a free Nemonymous Three or Nemonymous Four (whichever they choose).

des

des
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 05:05 am:   

I don't expect there'll be a rush. But hopefully it will be an enjoyable way to earn a sample Nemonymous.
des :-)

Carole C
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 07:13 am:   

I have read it once, Des, but the plot continues to elude me after it escaped into the carpet at around part 3. Er, maybe the plot is a sort of tapestry, or a weave work of stray fibres... er, maybe it *is* the carpet?

des
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

Hi, Carole, thanks for reading it or at least part of it!

If you get as far as part twelve (and the parts beyond that I haven't yet posted), you'll probably never forgive me! Actually, I personally think it gets better as it goes on, but you need the weft and woof initially!

The carpet is a website, perhaps?
des

des
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:07 am:   

Or at least a dustsite!

Stripped bawds are all the rage these days. Carpets are out.

You've heard of new weird, old weird, old-mongered weird, well, THE HAWLER is Woven Weird.

<god>forsaken weird.
des

Carole C
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   

Des, you could just go for broke and call it 'The Carpet' (or 'The Magic Carpet'). Or even 'The Carpet-Hawler' :0

des
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:51 am:   

The Carpet-Hawler - that sounds like a brand of vacuum-cleaner. And indeed there is a vacuum at the heart of 'The Hawler' which I'm currently trying to fill.

I have as yet no take up of the above offer. Possible reasons for this:
(1) People genuinely can't get through 'The Hawler' to the end of part twelve, because it's not to their taste, they find it incomprehensible or it's genuine crap.
(2) A sample copy of Nemonymous is not enough incentive, which says something negative about Nemonymous and/or The Hawler and/or my reputation.
(3) People have genuinely missed my messages or not bothered to read my messages or they've read the messages but not bothered or too busy to give them any heed.

I know what I'm *hoping* is the case (they've missed the messages) but I'm cool with whatever reason.

des

des
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 12:01 am:   

I've decided that the last few chapters will be issued privately to interested readers who have reached that far on the Blog City version. These chapters will be freely sent out by email. That'll mean that the whole of THE HAWLER will not have been published in full on the Internet prior to any printed version. Of course, we have a long way to go on Blog City before we reach that point of separation.

SPOILER
Full marks to those who have recognised that the novel is about bird 'flu.

des
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:31 am:   

Just added below to the intro of THE HAWLER:

(STOP PRESS Oct 18: The first few parts may need revision but they represent the raw state whence the crux of the novel emerges from part 8 onwards).

There are now 14 parts available at:

des
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

Still some available for this offer:

The first eight people from whom I receive an email at
nemonymous@hotmail.com
telling me that they have properly read all the first twelve parts of THE HAWLER from beginning to end (with a 100 word description of the plot to that point) will be eligible for a free Nemonymous Three or Nemonymous Four (whichever they choose).

Judging by the comments received, this novel is getting better and better! (Reached part 17 so far).

des
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 01:10 am:   

There must be many tales of the rites-of-passage that writers undergo when writing novels (especially their first novel). And in the old days without the internet one had to do this in silence (or at least in communion with a few choice friends or at best at a writer's group but with finite time available to you) - but now one can dip into a potentially much wider exeperience and share not only the *process* of writing the novel but also (as I am doing and I'm not sure how common this is) actually sharing the progressing text of the novel itself in a systematic, annotated & public way (with links to background reading in my previous work) etc.

I'm still unsure as to the implications of doing this re 'legality' of any future printed publication of the novel. I intend to retain the last few chapters of THE HAWLER and only distribute them by private email to any enquiring readers that have got that far in the blog version of the novel. Not sure if that's efficacious yet.

des

des
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 03:17 am:   

Navigation here: http://www.weirdmonger.com

There have been a large number of 'hits' on the HAWLER site (but I don't know who) and the hits have been variously on all fifty parts of the novel, so, on that evidence, I assume that some have even finished it! But very little private feedback. And even less public feedback.
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 08:44 am:   

Anonymous views can be posted here

des
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 02:18 am:   

So far, there have been 1793 unique hits on my novel THE HAWLER. I don't know if this is a good or bad result. Very little public feedback so far, but now beginning to to get private feedback.
Navigation: www.weirdmonger.com

des
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 05:01 am:   

Since my first novel THE HAWLER was effectively first published in 2005 - it is at least eligible for the same review or 'honours' considerations that apply to any other novels first published in 2005.

des

re
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

Re above hits, it has now struck me that there may be several editions of THE HAWLER in existence, if readers have printed and published their own designs for it from the raw text available on the blog.
Following from that, I can think of loads of other questions that ask themselves! Or repercussions that I have not even begun to address!

But, if anyone who wants to do a review of THE HAWLER in an independent review outlet (ie. independent of both the reviewer and of DFL) will receive -- instead of a tangible reviewer's copy of THE HAWLER -- either:
1) a full set of the acclaimed Nemonymous 1-5 signed by me
OR
2) a signed beautiful edition of WEIRDMONGER (The Nemonicon), until stocks last.

Seems to make sense for incentives such as that, bearing in mind there is no known tangible copy of THE HAWLER in existence!
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration