Thread For Those Aged 55 And Over Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Thread For Those Aged 55 And Over « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

I think - at my age - I shall never lose the novelty of the miracle of the Internet. I still don't understand it nor do I know how to use it properly (see my website!) - but if I'd thought a number of years ago that there would be this miracle of instantaneous communication with like-minded people of all ages, I would simply not have believed it!
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   

Up bright and early on general election day in UK! Well, I did have an afternoon nap yesterday followed by an early night! ;-)

Any advance on 57 (which I am)? If no reply, I'll assume I'm the oldest here!

des

AnneS
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   

Hi Des,

I'm currently the same age, but that will change in a few months.

We have witnessed some amazing changes in our lifetime. I, like you, could never have imagined the world of the Internet in my youth.

When I was at University back in the 60s the only computer on campus took up a whole room. It's now in a museum.

Cheers,

Anne

des
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 01:38 am:   

I remember the computer at my university, too, Anne, being an enormous building!

Without being ungracious, if you're changing to 58 in a month or two, you are the oldest here (as I don't change till January)!! But I suspect that there are older people on Night Shade threads - but they won't admit it by coming on to this thread.... ;-)

Seriously, re the Internet, I think it was a major change for those younger than us, also, but they have a longer prospective period to use its ever-improving 'miracles', and that radiates back (strangely) a greater feeling for them of taking it for granted *now*.
When TV became widespread in the Fifties (my family got it in 1953) and also when colour came to UK in 1967, I was relatively young and took the changes more for granted than the old people who became obsessed with it (gearing their lives to the TV), whilst I soon grew to take it or leave it. des

AnneS
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 04:34 am:   

Australia didn't get TV until 1956 to coincide with the Olympic Games. I lived in a small and remote country town at that time so TV wasn't an option. I first saw it on a visit to the city. I still remember the first program I saw. It was "I Love Lucy".

It was many years later that we had TV at home.

These days I hardly watch it. I spend most of my time on the computer.

I fell in love with computers in the early nineties and have been obsessed with them since.

Carole C
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   

I'm not over 55, or even over 50, but have to agree with Des that the internet is a fantastic medium of communication.

I was raised on the glass teat (TV) but find it's capacity to be a glass teat quite worrying.

des
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 04:04 am:   

Thanks, Carole.

Those not yet 55 are indeed welcome on this thread to agree or to put us Great Old Ones right!

My latest worry is with time shortening in front and lengthening behind in greater and greater rates of perceived time-speed - is there an optimum style of behaviour in life-ambition at any particular age that would slow down this perceived rate? Maybe Proust had the answer... go back and relive one's memories in longer and longer sentences until making one's current life-sentence the longest of all? ;-)
des

Rhys
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

The internet was first suggested as an idea in 1959, apparently.

I don't think I heard about it until 1994 or 1995.

des
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 07:10 am:   

This massive project continues apace:

NUMINOUS MAGAZANTHUS

Visual evidence on that page of archived des.

Dflewis
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 09:14 am:   

Rhys, EM Forster invented the Internet in his story THE MACHINE STOPS (1909)
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration