Prize Competition Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Prize Competition « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   

PRIZE COMPETITION: Deadline 31st December 2004

There were only 50 numbered copies of the hardback version of ‘Weirdmonger’ by DF Lewis.
I have in my possession one or two copies that were discarded from numbering because they were slightly damaged in transit. (These were later replaced so that 50 in total could be numbered.)

Anyway, I’m offering at least one of these slightly damaged hardback editions (personally signed by me to the winner) as the prize.

Please provide - as a sentence or two or a even just a single phrase - a definition of or oblique reference to one of these:
‘Nemonymity’ or ‘Megazanthus’ or ‘The Ominous Imagination’ or ‘Wordonymous’.
You choose and declare which one your entry is based on. Your entry may be humorous or serious.

Your definition or reference must at least *include* any continuous string of words from any one of DFL’s re-published stories as part of the ‘Numinous Megazanthus’ project, the contents of which are shown here:
http://weirdmonger.blogdrive.com/

Entries to: bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk quoting which story you’ve used.

My decision as to the winner or winners is final.

des
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 03:35 am:   

Regarding the competition - shown immediately after the Nemonymous Submission Guidelines here: http://www.nemonymous.com - I can confirm that I have not yet received a single entry! This is because nobody wants the (rare) prize or it is far too hard! I hope it is the latter! In fact, I'm sure it is the latter, based on face-to-face conversations I have had over this weekend. Anyway, if you enter, you may be the only entrant, and sure to win the prize!!
des

des
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 08:59 am:   

Re above, I now have at least one entry! With some creative rule-bending!
des

des
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 09:18 am:   

Just received a fifth entry which ends:

"Thanks for the opportunity to try this. It was great fun!"

(It had footnotes!).
des

des
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 07:11 am:   

Last week or so of this competition to win a very rare hardback edition of 'Weirdmonger'... and maybe other 'ex gratia' prizes.

Competition is shown here after the nemonymous~5 Submission Guidelines (£45 per published story 500-5500 words):
http://www.nemonymous.com

It is easier than it looks as some people have already found (and reputedly enjoyable).
des

des
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 04:48 am:   

Final reminder:
PRIZE COMPETITION: Deadline 31st December 2004

There were only 50 numbered copies of the hardback version of ‘Weirdmonger’. I have in my possession one or two copies that were discarded from numbering because they were slightly damaged in transit. (These were later replaced so that 50 in total could be numbered.)

I’m offering at least one of these slightly damaged hardback editions (personally signed by me to the winner) as the prize.

Please provide - as a sentence or two or a even just a single phrase - a definition of or oblique reference to one of these:

‘Nemonymity’ or ‘Megazanthus’ or ‘The Ominous Imagination’ or ‘Wordonymous’.

You choose and declare which one your entry is based on. Your entry may be humorous or serious.

Your definition or reference must at least *include* any continuous (random or chosen) string of words from any one of the re-published stories as part of the ‘Numinous Megazanthus’ project, the contents of which are shown here:
http://www.weirdmonger.com

Entries to: bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk quoting which story you’ve used.

My decision as to the winner or winners is final.

des
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 06:28 am:   

Thanks everyone who entered this competition.
The first prize of a WEIRDMONGER hardback goes to Scott Tullis for:

In a sense, 'Nemonymity' means quite literally 'viewed from all sides at all times,' promoting the use of wild streams of communication to choose the next reality vehicle. A rather avant garde concept ”difficult to understand” Nemonymity prefigures its own existence as an unyet complete reality, unaccountably resonating even in this metaphorical sense. If Nemonymical theory holds, certainly a sedate acceptance mode of receiving is required, changing--through needed lateral thinking, socket to socket--quite a significant religious experience into something far more down to earth.
Or vice versa.

Except for the occasional lead-in (In a sense, 'Nemonymity' means quite literally...If Nemonymical theory holds...etc) most of this should be all DF Lewis phrasal splicing. I found three stories especially helpful for this. To facilitate deconstruction, I've pasted another version of the definition below, with footnotes and key included. A footnote appears after each separate phrase, even if the phrases came from the same (though different parts of the same) story, but appear consecutively here (if that makes any sense).

In a sense, 'Nemonymity' means quite literally 'viewed from all sides at all times (1),' promoting the use of wild streams of communication (2) to choose the next reality vehicle (2). A rather avant garde concept ”difficult to understand”(1) Nemonymity prefigures its own existence as an unyet complete reality (2), unaccountably resonating (1) even in this metaphorical sense (1). If Nemonymical theory holds, certainly a sedate acceptance mode of receiving (1) is required, changing--through needed lateral thinking (1), socket to socket (2)--quite a significant religious experience into something far more down to earth.
Or vice versa. (3)

(1) Starfish has Lost an Arm
(2) Cat's Eye
(3) Ribbons of Reality

I also liked the following entry from Ben Eavey to whom I may send a smaller ex gratia consolation prize:

Nemonymity: A state of interstice between the revealing of a creative work, and the revealing of the work's creator.

Most works are inextricably tied to their creators' identities, in that the identity of the creator becomes a large part of how the work is judged. Because of this, the appreciation of creativity has become less a matter of a work's creative excellence and more a matter of the reputation and fame of the work's creator. If non-sequiturs could speak with their own voices, then book publishers, art galleries and music producers would be their mediums, pushing the idea that because a creator has produced excellence in the past, then all future works by that creator must also be of the utmost quality.

Nemonymity, in contrast, allows for the temporary abandonment of a creator's identity so that the creation itself can be judged on its own merits. A work can be appreciated for its quality and effect without the bias and prejudice brought on by knowledge of who created it.

Des:
You're right; it's very difficult to meet the requirements of this contest! I may have bent the rules a bit with this longish entry, but I hope it's still acceptable.
Reference "The Plug" for my continuous string of words. That's one very disturbing story, by the way.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration