Another new idea! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Another new idea! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 07:56 am:   

A new (groundbreaking?) wording for my Project has been put on the site here: http://www.weirdmonger.com
as follows:

"The ever-increasing contents list of currently free-to-read re-published Wordonymous stories on the web is at the end of this site under the blue heading 'Numinous Megazanthus'.

THIS PROJECT CAN ALSO NOW BE USED AS A 'MENU': If anybody wants to re-print one or more of these stories of mine, please contact me and the story/ies in question will be immediately removed from this project and be freely available to you."

The menu aspect now seems to me to be the natural extension of what I've started here (i.e. stemming from my reprinting of most of my 1500 previously published stories on a connected network of sites, boards and blogs). However -- with due humility (as I don't expect many editors wanting to use such a menu in the case of my work!) -- is this a method that can be extended or adapted for other writers: i.e. using blogs as menus or shop windows for their stories where editors can browse and choose a story to publish, rather than the writer sending stories (sometimes into black holes) to editors??
des

des
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 09:24 am:   

A dumb new idea, then? ;-)

Tamar
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 07:49 am:   

I think it's a great idea, Des - I just doubt whether most editors have the time and energy to go window-shopping on the internet, swamped as they are in slush-piles...

T Andrews
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 02:21 pm:   

I think it's a neat idea, as well. In fact, you could completely eliminate the editor/middle-man and charge per story as musicians are doing. Just like downloading some rock band's newest tune for a dollar, you can download a short story.
This is essentially already happening, though, I think. For novels, anyway. ?? I don't really know much about it. Interesting idea, Des.

des
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 11:45 pm:   

Thanks. I wasn't really think of this as an experiment leading to self-publishing.

Hmmm... Maybe, have blogs dedicated to story portfolios of anonymous or non-anonymous (not sure which would be most appropriate) writers - whereby there was some quality control by those organising the blogs for a writer to get a blog in the first place... or maybe no quality control (which would be subjective anyway) would be better?

After all, should not editors (with the aid of serendipity?) go out to seek stories in this way which they can read in a 'pre-publication' state on the net? This could be combined with waiting for stories to fall into their lap (as at present) or simply have a system of soliciting stories from named authors as complemented and supplemented by the blog portfolios.

I'm really envisaging *print* editors using this service.

This would also entail there being some agreement that there *can* be a "pre-publication state" on such blogs, and that the blog does not count as the story's first publication.

Tamar, this may also, hopefully, remove the necessity of editors having slush piles at all.

Thinking aloud...

des
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 04:15 am:   

Regarding my own blogs of republished stories - there is now a 'story of the week' facility linked from here:
http://www.weirdmonger.com
des

des
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 04:36 am:   

Further discussion of this here:
http://www.ttapress.com/discus/messages/570/602.html?1098616726

Kathy S.
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 07:53 pm:   

It seems to me that such an initiative would be very much hampered by the amount of free stuff already on the internet. There are tons of sites that 'showcase' invariably awful prose. I don't think any editor would be able to retain his/her sanity browsing through all this content. the only way for the editor to navigate through the sea of drivel is to look for familiar names. Of course, if the names are already familiar there would be no need to shop for their stories on the internet (however, for such individuals a blog portfolio would be useful, IMO, since many have websites.)

I don't mean to sound negative, I think that in principle it's a good idea. However, with the amount of interference on the web one needs filters -- such as editors. And keep in mind that people seek out your stories on the Weirdmonger Wheel mostly because they are already familiar with your work, or at the very least assured that the stories had been published, and thus went through some editorial process.

des
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   

Thanks, Kathy.
Indeed, when I first thought of this, it was for reprints - ie. allowing them to be aired rather than languishing in old and hard-to-find small press mags.

Then why not have them as blog portfolios? Blogs with licences of some sort to do so?

And in the Small Press, isn't there a symbiosis of reader/writer/customer/editor? Why shouldn't the editors go out to explore as well as staying at home waiting for good stories to land in their laps?
des

des
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 08:24 am:   

As a further point to the above 'symbiosis' - if this hypothetical system were used to the full, it would do away with slush piles altogether, but, more importantly, it would also allow any particular story 'submission' (on a bespoke blog portfolio) to always be 'active' with many editors, rather than, sometimes, languishing in a single slush pile (or black hole) - often for months, even years.
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:26 am:   

Nobody got any arguments about that post in October, then?

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

While surfing I came across HorrorLibrary.net. They are a group of writers from the Zoetrope workshop. They seem to be experimenting with the idea of having their stories served online in a menu-like fashion for editors, etc.
Thought you might be interested in checking it out. :-)

des
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

Thanks, TA.
Pinpointed it here:
http://www.horrorlibrary.net/faq.php

I think, indeed, that story menus on the Net will do away with slushpiles forever and allow your story always to be in currency of consideration by many editors, rather than stuck in one editor's in-tray.

I'm still doing this with my own stuff (well, that's one of the many reasons I'm doing it!).
www.weirdmonger.com (for contents list)

des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration