HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Hello, Des

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » The Egnisomicon (1967) » Hello, Des « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith Brooke
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 04:49 am:   

Thought I'd get in there first!

jeff vandermeer
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 06:18 pm:   

Alas, Keith, this is just the testing area for now. Still need to set some more stuff up--or, rather, Jason needs to.

Jeff

Night Shade Books
Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:29 am:   

Well, it works and all that, it's just not pretty like it will be.

Jason

Rhys
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 07:51 am:   

"Well, it works and all that, it's just not pretty like it will be."

Er... Are we talking about the website or about Des Lewis!!!!!!

:-)

Des
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   

Hi, I'm pretty pretty, they say!
Thanks, Jeff, Keith, Rhys...
This boardstuff is amazing technology... little did I know how little I knew.
Des (55)

Just to get into myself:-
Nemonymous:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veils_and_piques/
http://www.nemonymous.com
General Discussion Forum:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/weirdmonger/
DFL Website:
http://www.weirdmonger.com
DFL Message Board:
http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/
http://www.dusksite.ukgo.com/discus/messages/14/14.html?1036745207

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 04:05 pm:   

Ha. About time you showed up, Des.

Bob
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 10:15 pm:   

Hey Des. Thought I'd drop by. Are you really pretty? Er...scratch that, I don't want to know.

liz williams
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:08 am:   

Des is still the prettiest, like Legolas.

Hello Des!

Liz W

Des
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:30 am:   

Thanks, Liz. Of course, you're right. Proof is on:
http://www.nhi.clara.net/z25.htm
Des

iotar
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 01:09 am:   

By God is he pretty!

Iain R
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   

Hello there Des.

Remind me, when's your anthology going to be coming out?

Des
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 12:58 pm:   

Been reading early Calvino lately. I'm sure he's been inspired by Rhys Hughes!
But to answer your question, Weirdmonger's primed for off, Iain; light blue touch-paper and stand well clear. And when the sky is dark enough, the sparks will show up. Des

Rhys
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 06:27 am:   

I had a Legolas once...
On second thoughts, what I had was a lass made from lego. She was pretty but hard (and blue).

I've written a fake D.F. Lewis story for a forthcoming book which has a section full of stories falsely attributed to other writers (I tried to write the stories in the style of those writers).

The information on the fake Lewis tale (which is called 'Alone With A Longwinded Soul') says that it was first published in THE WEIRDMONGER anthology, Prime Books, 2003. That's this year! Though I guess that because it's a fake, this information may be somewhat inaccurate...

Iain R
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 09:02 am:   

Two Lego-las references in one day. The other one pointed me to this. Which is amusing but also a little frightening.

Des
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 08:40 am:   

Where you live...
I personally think it would be nice if everyone on these Boards (on their own Board), describes briefly where they live.

I live in the UK in Clacton-on-Sea, part of (some say) the Essex Riviera (!) where the sun genuinely shines more than anywhere else in England. It a smallish town (on the Tendring peninusular) that has a pleasure pier, a road full of amusment arcades, fish and chip shops, candy floss stalls etc. It's a seaside resort favoured often by folk from the East End of London. Has some very nice gardens along the front, kept very well by the Council.
I live about two miles along the sea front from the pier, and I walk this stretch every morning to work (recently in very icy and windy weather). Currently this is just as the sun rises above the horizon (7.0 a.m GMT). All this week I have watched the sun rise like a huge orange balloon being released by the sea's horizon, with,
momentarily, a seemingly static sucking back by the horizon of this balloon's lower rim, thus misshaping it, before it continues its slow lift into the upper sky.
Yesterday, this coincided with a perfectly clear full moon in another part of the sky...
Des

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:58 am:   

I live in Swansea, a town on the south coast of Wales. I love Wales, but I'm hoping to move soon! I haven't lived in enough different places yet! Where I move to depends on what happens in the next few months! It might be Bahia! But first I want to stay with a friend in Madrid for a while and get to know that city, at least in part!

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:02 am:   

Damn! On their *own* board, you say?
Whoops!

By the way, Des -- "...I have watched the sun rise like a huge orange balloon being released by the sea's horizon, with,
momentarily, a seemingly static sucking back by the horizon of this balloon's lower rim, thus misshaping it, before it continues its slow lift into the upper sky..."

This is a coincidence, because I have a story in the forthcoming ALBUM ZUTIQUE anthology which is almost precisely about this phenomenon (but it's about the sunset, not sunrise!). My story is called 'The Toes of the Sun'... And I know that you are also in ALBUM ZUTIQUE!

Des
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:51 am:   

Yeh, put 'em here if you like.
Fascinating to hear about places where people live. des

Jorge
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:16 am:   

OK, since you ask...

I live where my roots are, after having spent more than a decade living in other places, in my country and abroad. The little bush called Jorge... argh... scratch that... the little bunch of grass called Jorge is rooted in the southwestern tip of Europe, a warm place called Portimão (mind the diacritic), a city too small to have good bookshops but large enough to be a city, the second largest in the Algarve, well-known to international tourists for its beaches of fine, golden sand and its inclement summer sun, that blasts the skies with a light that hurts. Beautifully.

It's a place with no magic. Everything is too well-defined to be magic. But if you look really close, you might be able to see things where the shadow is blackened by the sun.

It has been a place full of foreigners for decades. You walk the streets and you hear english, german, spanish, italian, french, swedish and other languages, more exotic than these. Lately, you get to hear russian and ukrainian, lots of russian and ukrainian.

It's a place where a certain portion of mankind is blending. Who knows what'll come out of it?

Luís
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:33 am:   

And I live in Lisbon, Portugal. The city is about three millennia old, although buildings older than 1,000 years can be hard to find. There are hidden Roman ruins, but not many people know about them.

I'm not originally from here, I was born in a town in central Portugal that is best known for its earthenware, er . . . "things".

But I like it in Lisbon, even more because my home is in a nice and quiet part of the city.

Cheers, Luís

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

Jorge's message of Friday 21st (see above) is amazingly prescient (I can never spell that word) because Saddam Hussein (if it was really him) refered to a "little Bush" just a day or so ago (if the translation is to be believed)...

Cor! Prescience!

Paul Beardsley
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:52 am:   

Hi Des and everyone else - I recognise a few names from the days when I read and reviewed a lot of small press stuff for Interzone.

(I recently learnt about this site from the Interzone discussion group, the Mitre. People were complaining there was too much discussion of the Middle East situation and not enough about SF etc, so someone kindly pointed us to this discussion group.)

Des, have you perchance encountered the "children's" books known as "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snicket? The entire thing - author included - could be one of your inventions. I strongly suspect you'd enjoy the series.

I'll probably talk about where I live later.

All the best
Paul

Des
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 06:16 am:   

Hi, Paul, what a pleasant surprise to see your name. Indeed, I trust you will add 'substance' to these boards! ;-)
Or Sound SF !?

As to Lemony Snicket, I've actually handled these books. Perhaps I should read them.
Keith Brooke (who is also on these Boards) -- who you may also recall from the old Small Press days in UK -- has now a best-selling Puffin book called 'Piggies'!
Des

Paul Beardsley
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 09:28 am:   

Let's hope I can add Substance to these boards.

I've had several good people (one being Tim Nickels) dropping hints that I should bring it back - "it" being the magazine Substance, which I used to edit. I can freely boast about it because the incredibly high standard of the magazine was due to the incredibly high standard of the contributions, which included two Des pieces ("Simonetta's Legs" and "Big Ship, Little Ship and Brown") plus a Des collaboration with Gary Couzens (the unforgettable "This Flight Tonight").

I'm eagerly awaiting the forthcoming short story collection. I'm secretly hoping "Big Ship..." might be in it - and like Rhys, I hope "Jack In The Box" makes it too.

Des
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 11:03 am:   

plus a Des collaboration with Gary Couzens (the unforgettable "This Flight Tonight").

Thanks, Paul. I'm proud to say that that particular collaboration is to be included in Gary's book of his stories - launching in London on 10 May, where I hope to attend.
Good luck with the New Substance!
Des

mark samuels
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:26 pm:   

Hi Des

Good to see you again today. That first meeting in 1987 seems a long time back, doesn't it? Must get something together for Nemo: send me guidelines!

Bestest
Mark

Des
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:50 pm:   

Thanks for that, Mark. Great to see you. Real nostalgia reliving the old days boozing in the Purley Arms. As I said, I recently received your Tartarus Press book 'White Hands and Other Weird Tales'. It's an incredibly aesthetic volume and I look forward to reading it.
Good to see everybody else yesterday at Gary Couzens' book launch, and love the look of this anthology from Elastic Press, should do enormously well.

Nemonymous guidelines, you ask, Mark? Available via:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veils_and_piques/
And a new interview about Nemonymity has just this second appeared on:
http://www.uta.edu/english/znine/interview2.htm
Best, Des

ellen
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 11:04 pm:   

Des,
I need to contact you but don't have your email address...do you have mine?

des
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:27 am:   

Yes, I think so. I'll email you. Thanks, Des

des
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:03 am:   

Night Shade Boards -- it must be getting close to the year's anniversary of these Boards. I believe the message of 24 January 2003 on this very thread was one of the first, if the not the very first, message.
Thanks from me personally for allowing me to have two of these Boards in my own name and in the name of Nemonymous. And congratulations for providing such a wonderful forum for everyone.
des

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:54 am:   

Des -- did you get my e-mail?

des
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:11 am:   

Yes, I did, thanks, Jamie, a day or so ago - and replied. I'll go and reply again now. des

PS: If the first message above on this thread was the first one on Night Shade Books Boards, then tomorrow is the year's anniversary of the start of these Boards!

Jamie
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   

Thanks, Des. This time I got your reply. :-)

des
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:51 am:   

Paul Beardsley said above on Saturday, April 19 2003:-
"I'm eagerly awaiting the forthcoming short story collection. I'm secretly hoping "Big Ship..." might be in it - and like Rhys, I hope "Jack In The Box" makes it too."

Yes, Paul, sorry I'm a little late in replying, but both those stories are indeed in Weirdmonger The Book.
des

Neil A
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:43 am:   

Hi Des,

I think your new blog/site is great, but I find the lilac text a bit squiffy on the ol' minces. Maybe it's just me though; perhaps you could ask other users for some feedback. It might be putting people off of reading.

des
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:14 am:   

Thanks very much, Neil. Much appreciate your feedback.

Regarding the 'plum' (maybe 'lilac'!) colour, it is only in the heading and in two quotes in the body of this Proustian-time blog (another of my new inventions!) -- and looks clear on my computer (anyone else?). The grey-white colour in the title is meant to be faint!

Actually, I would be gratfeul for any more comments here or privately, as I am testing the water and want to optimise my forthcoming significant investment in the presentation of the 17 stories that are about to appear in Nemonymous Part Four.
des
Site in question: http://www.nemonymous.com

Neil A
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:27 am:   

Des, that plumlac colour appears as the body text of the site on my screen. Just to check, I've tried it on several separate computers. It's the same on all of them (Mac and PC)

des
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:44 am:   

Blimey! It's not on mine. This is spooky.
des

des
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:55 am:   

I've done some fiddling with it (technical term). Does that rectify it? (It still looks the same as it did before on my computer).des

AliceB
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:34 pm:   

Much easier to read!
Alice

Neil A
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:27 am:   

Ah, yes. Fixed. Des, you're a technical genius!

des
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:16 am:   

I've never been called that before. Spamfish Site is currently not imploding but imploring...

des
http://www.nemonymous.com

Weirdmonger
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 01:28 am:   

As seen elsewhere on my various sites, I have now dropped the 'DF Lewis' name for that of 'Weirdmonger'. Who cares? No-one. But I hope the DFL threads here including this one (the first Night Shade thread to be posted on when these message boards started over a year ago) can remain as archives. There are many birthday-dated quotations and info on Classical Music, Proust etc. I shall only be using the Nemonymous threads here in future, if I am kindly given continued use of them.

The e-publication of all my previously published-in-print stories (except those in the 'Weirdmonger' book) (i.e. at my current best guess around 1500 of them) is still in progress and this is just one of the sites involved:

http://weirdmonger.blogdrive.com/

I'm told by many that the Internet is just as permanent as print - with as much ongoing provenance. So, this exercise in providing vehicles or berths for my fiction is, ostensibly, a way to establish and codify my work forever (even though much of it is worthless) - because, previously, it was published in hard-to-find or 'amateur' small-run publications as well as in professional ones.

I don't know if I believe all this about permanence! In any event, I hope some of you read the stories and (heavens!) enjoy them. I don't expect everyone who stumbles on these sites actually to read the stories. Equally, I don't expect any one person to read all of them. Pick-and-mix at best.

Obviously, there is no payment to read these stories, other than pehaps telling other people about the sites (after all, I do advertise 'Weirdmonger' the book and the 'Nemonymous' short fiction journal on these various sites) - and/or commenting to me about the stories you happen to read. Thank you.

des
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 08:57 am:   

This is the oldest thread on these Boards. Therefore, just realised that we missed the second anniversary of the Night Shade Boards on 24 January 2005. Belated congratulations and thanks.
des

des
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 08:49 am:   

This was the first thread on the Night Shade Books forum in January 2003. Happy third birthday and many thanks (for providing all the message boards) to Night Shade Books.
des

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 03:18 am:   

This thread - the first one on Night Shade Boards in 2003 - seems recently to be under constant mass attack from spam. I've deleted at least 50 messages already this morning. And I shall continue to do this whenever possible.

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 04:59 am:   

Just deleted another 15 spams since my last message!
des

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 09:18 am:   

And another 15 !! :-(
I'm not going to continue reporting my deletions of this swarming attack (a la Norman Spinrad) here as they happen. I'll just do them.
Whilst writing, might as well spam myself!!
See links to my main blog, Nemonymous and my free novels etc here:
http://www.weirdmonger.com
des (under attack)

des lewis
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 12:39 am:   

There were about 100 tormasmas overnight which I have now deleted. Moved to a new sub-topic in the hope this action will ward them off.
des

des lewis
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:16 am:   

Just deleted some more. I suppose the only real solution is to delete the whole thread. But I am reluctant to do that as it has sentimental value - having started in Jan 2003 before any other thread here - and posted on by old friends during the distant hey-day of my career.
des

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:51 am:   

Many pickled tormasmas over night just deleted. Are these targeted on this thread or just accidentally arrive here. And if the former, are they targeted for a specific reason? It seems strange that the only thread with such a noticeable *amount* of onslaught in one fell swoop is the oldest thread here. And is it worth even questioning this? Junk dreamspam with no power to hurt me... Spavian Flew.
des

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 03:39 pm:   

More pickled tormasmas become decidals!
des

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:23 am:   

Spavian Flew And The Pickled Tormasmas

The feathered critters dived for phentermine cod and soared back into the sky with their catch...

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 04:14 am:   

...while Helga, Bush, Hilary & Britney watched events from their culvert. Decidal bombs strapped to their waists....

By all means, anyone, please help me keep the tormasmas at bay by adding to the story of Spavian Flew on this thread! Otherwise, I shall have to do it all my myself. :-)

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

Helga, like her friends, believed herself to be overweight – so she encouraged, by means of deep-textured prayer-words, any carrier of disease to bring a bacon-slicer to her top layers; Britney preferred a cheesecutter; Bush shears; Bill any castration device used in early opera; Hilary a termination dream made of razored iron; and as their bird-framed raft floated on a huge ocean of human flesh, they avoided any communal dream-sickness by casting thousands of word-woven firewalls against any urlswell in the ocean’s surging tides that would otherwise manage to seep under their own skin. Meanwhile, they awaited their hoped-for version of sharp-edged, clean-honed disease amid the flying fishy shapes of slimfast sickness so as to neutralise any deep-frittered dreamspam.

des lewis
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:52 am:   

I am a Tormasma, complete with feathers that allow air-flow to alternately lift and lower me with its laminaries towards the otherwise birdless welkin. Except many more of my sort are due soon to soar nearer these human quarters of the universe to wreak vengeance on Helga, Hillary, Bush, Bill and Britney as they float upon their bird-mocked raft below - cresting the flesh curds of the collective shape-consciousness whence they've just found themselves born, oven-ready to pollute our tenebrous threads with their body-forming stink. I ripple the tracery of bones within my own outer feathered form, knowing that those spineless five so-called individuals below do not have their own bones to treasure: they just think they have.

des lewis
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   

Helga's story: "It all happened when I got caught up with Spavian Flew. I needed a man, a escort, and he sort of fitted the bill. I thought. ... Until then, I was an ordinary girl who tried to keep trim. I am not the sort of person who is malicious in what I do. I don't like leaving my doings all over the place. Des doesn't deserve it. Nobody deserves what I lay on them, I'm sure. I just have to. Spavian Flew told me that I've got to sell slimming drugs to pay for my appetite. He then would be able to feed me more pickled tormasma, freshly plucked. With deep-frittered spamcake. He said they were a delicacy so we had to pay for them somehow. So the more slimming stuff I can clear, the more I can binge on tormasma. And even the mattress sprouts dust-feathers - as I dream of bigger and bigger portions. Until one day - today - I saw a real live tormasma hovering between me and the bedroom ceiling - a wonderful creature in its pre-cooked state and it stared down at me with its beady eyes as if telling me I had sold my soul to Spavian Flew. To the devil."

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:42 am:   

Bill's Story: I usually have no doubt with regard to my orientation, but when Spavian Flew approached me with a business idea, it was not only the business that attracted me! He told me that he was in the business of dreams, business as busy-ness as well as its more usual meaning. Busy dreams like bats - except their rodent aspect was disguised by chirping through iron molars, even clucking. Pecking at me. Making me *feel* peckish. By starving I actually gorged myself. A meaning I can only convey by such hints. Des did not deserve these dreams to land on his plate. A plate that was ore rather than china, as the dreams seeped into its very texture. Charmed to the teeth.

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:09 am:   

Hillary's Story: When I met Bill and Helga they were already up to their necks in Spavian Flew. One symptom of their illness was sending multitudes of spam to innocent websites, including mixed up jumbles of letters. They were ashamed of what they did. Bill scratched and scored his own skull with a huge iron file that Flew had provided, but none of this could stop Bill's activities. Helga wallowed in her own body-fat, yet trying to tussle out through its eyeballs. Now I am doing the same things. "New fat for old slimming! New fat for old slimming!" I'm not sure I got the costermonger's chant correct. Lamps are always old in Flew's flickering habitats of the soul.

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:17 am:   

Des asks: I can't understand how such mass spamming can happen here when all users have to register?? Can the spammers be blocked? This morning, there were about 100 deletions to make. I intend to continue deleting them every day (if possible).

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 08:16 am:   

Spam - a story by DFL first published in 1993 (Weirdmonger's Tales Wyrd Press) - can be read here:
http://weirdmonger.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=12715

Britney's Story: Spam®: A type of luncheon meat made from pork, spices, etc.
Bush's shears and my spears (I like using them to prod and poke at the roots rather than slicing the tops, but Bush likes clipping and chopping with almost maniacal aplomb but that's similar to slicing) are used to excise the fatty extrusions or wormcasts on our skin caused by using your products.

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   

Bush's story: The storm is coming to a close, hopefully. I am Spavian Flew - and my dreams are tormasmic. I feed off or on the others, a Dorian Gray of slimming.
des

des lewis
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:12 am:   

The dark forces are gathering again - I'm battened down to meet the marauding forces of Spavian Flew and his crew. If I do not survive, please do not think ill of me. I just prefer not to take the drugs advertised here.
des

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 02:16 pm:   

Give me a break, Helga!

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   

Missing Arrow

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 05:52 am:   

My new series of 2006 stories now complete:
http://www.ligotti.net/viewforum.php?f=233

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:12 am:   

Magic Realism: Fiction that creates fiction from reality, e.g. Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie.

Magic Fiction: Mentioned here for the first time: Fiction that creates reality from fiction, e.g. The Tenacity of Feathers by Selbi Cuderri.

Where would you put 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' in this spectrum? The works of HPL, Elizabeth Bowen, Rhys Hughes...?

I intend to write an essay about this but not before receiving feedback from others.

=======================================

important

=======================================

The candlemass stories (2006)

=============================

THE VISITOR (1974)

===============================

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:43 am:   

I'm afraid the link above for 'the candlemass stories' is not working today.

they can now be found here;
http://wyrdonymous.blogthing.com/2006/06/28/the-candlemass-stories/

des lewis
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 09:25 am:   

'Etepsed-Egnis' was the first poem in THE EGNISOMICON (1967) - later rewritten for 'The Visitor' novel (1974). At last this poem is on the internet, but it is the latter 1974 version, not the original:
http://free-blog-site.com/denemoniser/archive/2006/07/03/93501.aspx

des lewis
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 09:34 am:   

I would hope that the whole 1967 EGNISOMICON (a collaboration with the Red Brain of the legendary 'Dagon' magazine') will later be blogged in full and unchanged.
des

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:50 am:   

Self-Mythology

Look at the words. Do you own up. If you are an artist, writer, musician etc. - do you self-mythologise? Do you present the image that fits most neatly with your work – helping it commercially or aesthetically or bothly? Or does the work and its pastness help to frame the mythology of self by hindsight? You are the myth, or you are your work: veiled by a nemonymity with which you attempt to cultivate a pique of detachment – yet creating hinterlands of perspective. You may own up to it, but do you actually own it, this self-mythology. Delivery by default mythly.

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 07:13 am:   

THE NEMONICON about this trade paperback.

NEMONYMOUS about this famous journal.

Irreducibles: the main DFL blog.

Weirdmonger Wheel: Shortened version.

THE HAWLER: the start of DFL’s 2006 trilogy of novels that can be read for free on the internet.

THE VISITOR: the start of DFLs 1974 novel where you can learn about ‘The Egnisomicon’ (1967), the Visitoral hordes and the unforgettable art Master. All free on the internet.

the candlemass stories (2006)

================================

des lewis
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:30 am:   

Pleased to say that I've just this minute completed the laborious task of re-typing my 1974 novel THE VISITOR starting from here:
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/the_visitor.htm

Forty-four postings in all.

This incorporates small sections of 'The Egnisomicon' (1967).

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:54 am:   

As an interlude in more pressing life concerns, let me speculate...

I feel that Horror creativity (fiction, films, art, music) always depends in one way or another on humour. Horror is inevitably humorous and full of backslapping bonhomie (like the audience in the cinema when watching tense or bloodthirtsy scenes) and/or detached by means of irony or absurdity, often expressed via surrealism or existentialism or blatant avantgardism.
I'd summarise all that as 'humorror'.
des

Weirdtongue: my next novel-in-progress: a work of 'humorror': plus my Myspace linked from http://www.weirdmonger.com

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   

Happy 4th Birthday. A bit late - but Jan 24 2003 was the first message on these message boards i.e. on this thread. Thanks to Night Shade Books for continuing to provide these threads.

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 09:15 am:   

5th birthday: Night Shade Books Forum celebrates its 5th birthday this month. The first post of this thread was the very first post on the whole forum.
Thanks to them!

Dflewis
Username: Dflewis

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   

This was the first ever thread on this discussion forum in Jan 2003 - and thanks to Night Shade Books for bringing the forum back.
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |