Why Do You Write on Message Boards? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Why Do You Write on Message Boards? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:07 pm:   

I often ask myself: why do I spend so much time writing into the ether? Sometimes with no response.
I have as yet no answer. Perhaps I'm of sufficient age where the novelty of apparently talking to others of near- or close-kindred spirits (all over the world) will never wear off.
des

Who, Me?
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:23 pm:   

Some perhaps post to have their own bit of nemonymity.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 04:06 am:   

Writing to messageboards: the reasons!

(1) Relaxation (a quick message dashed off while working on something more serious can have a soothing effect).
(2) Publicity ("My new book has just been published at... etc". Publicity = better sales (hopefully). Better sales = more money and fame (hopefully). Money and fame = increased chances with the ladies (ultimately the only reason to do anything at all. We live in hope, we linger in hope, we wither in hope)).
(3) Reassurance (quick ego massage when feeling low or unloved or neglected or frustrated -- this only works when other people actually reply).

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

1. Keeps me from going absolutely nuts at work. I work for a certified idiot and am surrounded by people who wear suits possessing the I.Q. of a bucket of shit.

2. It is mental exercise for the writing muscles, again usually done at work.

3. To learn things about the Science Fiction Genre and Community. For me, this is the Poor Man's Clarion.

4. To hear opinions other than my own, and if I really feel like it, argue with them (providing they can be civil about it).

5. Interesting people to meet from all over the world, to include established and aspirant writers along with editors. I simply don't have the resources to travel to things like Noreascon or Worldcon and I'm trapped in Kansas City, Missouri (a god awful city, one should avoid it at all costs).

Probably the only downside to my habit is that I have this neurotic impulse that commands me to take full credit for everything I write on these boards by signing my actual name, regardless of how smart or stupid it sounds.

I usually post over at Asimov's. I post here infrequently, mainly because the topics aren't quite as interesting and the civility level is a great deal less.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
http://sfmurphy.journalspace.com

des
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:14 am:   

SFM says: "I post here infrequently, mainly because the topics aren't quite as interesting and the civility level is a great deal less."

Really?
Can anyone post at Asimov's and where is it, please?
And thanks for posting on this thread.
des

T Andrews
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   

I thought I'd pipe up from my musty little corner...I READ message boards (well, this one, anyway) for the insight they can give me into the writing/publishing world.
Many of the writers and editors here are people whose work I really respect, and I like to think that by getting to know them a bit in here may help me to navigate the writing waters...
Des, by the way, I think your Nemonymous creation is brilliant.
I must say, sometimes civility here is less than, er- civil. Makes it intimidating for a wannabe to post. And occasionaly, we have something worthwhile to contribute. ;)

des
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   

Thanks so very much, T Andrews, that sort of post makes me very happy -- and I hope you now continue to post on the various Boards here. And good luck with your writing.
des

JV
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 01:56 pm:   

I've thought of it as a friendly but sometimes contentious family that says what it thinks. I agree sometimes it seems to go overboard, but I hope that doesn't mean some people won't post.

JeffV

des
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 01:06 am:   

Yes, I've generally found these boards friendly - but with such a volume of posts and people, you are bound to get cross posts (in two senses!) from time to time. It's been a whole year plus now of wonderful converstaion on Night Shade Books Boards. Thanks to them.
des

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   

www.asimovs.com

Just hit the forum icon. We're pretty friendly. At least I think we are. We try to be civil, put up with each other's POV and failing that invoke the "Agree to Disagree" clause.

We also don't argue about politics as much as we used to. After all, it is a Forum for "Science Fiction," which is the reason most of us are there. But politics does come up and it is usually restrained (probably too restrained for some). I've grown tired of the flamethrower fests myself.

That said, there are places here worth dropping by and commenting. Jeff Vandermeer had a neat one covering history not too long ago. Mike Jasper has a thread about daily writing progress which is pretty neat. And there are two editors at least floating around.

I've gotten to the point that I'm reluctant to post here because it does get tiresome to have arguments that are not likely to change anyone's mind. The arguments tend to become personal and I've witnessed some less than admirable behavior exhibited by established writers.

Maybe it is me, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for a published writer, no matter how prominent, to tear down readers they disagree with.

For my part, I could spend my time arguing here, or having civil discussions elsewhere/actually getting established myself.

Since I don't have ISP (on purpose) my internet time is limited. I chose to spend it where the aggravation factor is low.

Besides, I can go argue with people IRL anytime I want.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
http://sfmurphy.journalspace.com

des
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 01:59 am:   

Thanks, Steven. des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration