Padgett Weggs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Padgett Weggs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 10:47 pm:   

Does anyone else get the name of a character suddenly into your head and you must write about this character, even though you don't yet know quite who they are or what they are going to do?
This happened with me with the name Padgett Weggs in 1986. I had the name Nudd Polloch come to me last night....
Des

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 03:13 am:   

Absolutely!

I'm collecting a list of these names and I going to put them all in a story together. I won't bore you with a full list, but so far they include:

Scurrility Forepaws
Lentil Optik
Persuasion Coax
The Cat of Slime
Bababalouk Sense
Nitrogen Parsley
The Astral Disruptor
MeMeMeMeMe U
Attracta Coil

des
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:30 am:   

Scurrility Forepaws is a name to conjure with!
A bit along the rhythmic lines of my own Blasphemy Fitzworth (which was actually invented by my then young daughter in the eighties!)
Des

des
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:10 am:   

I've been wondering about people's very first publications and what they thought at the time.

'Padgett Weggs' was the first story I had published at the age of 39 in 1986 - the first, I think, I ever submitted. I didn't think ordinary people could get published. I only knew about the mag in question because a friend of mine had a story in it. Another ordinary person.

I was so thrilled.
Looking back on it, the publication was a UK Small Press fanzine geared to the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game and probably had a tiny audience -- and I'd never heard of the Small Press before then, so I wondered if it was going to be read worldwide by a mass audience! I was proud and I still retain that pride whenever and wherever my stuff happens to go. I can never lose that wonderment at my luck. Never expected to earn a living at writing (and I was right!). But it's given me great pleasure.

Does anyone else have memories of their first publication?
des

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:19 am:   

Yes I do.

This is a question I've long been interested in -- the first published stories of writers. I think it was Calvino who said that your first published piece was the only one you could ever really write as a real person: after that moment you can only write as a writer.

My first published story was a very short piece called 'An Ideal Vocation'.

des
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:17 am:   

Where was it published, Rhys, and what were your feelings? I guess - 1990? Is that right?
Meanwhile, I'll be fascinated to hear of more...
des

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 06:57 am:   

It was published in an awful anthology called SHORTS FROM SOUTH GLAMORGAN in August (I think) 1992.

If I say that my first published short story appeared in a hardback book, that gives a much better impression than the truth (even though it is true). The book is question was liberally sprinkled with typographical errors. The production was rubbish.

In many ways, I date the 'real' start of my writing career from publication of my first book, WORMING THE HARPY, in October 1995.

des
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:10 am:   

Yeh, great book - and I have a copy of 'Worming The Harpy' you signed to me around that time. very proud of it.

But on that basis, my own writing career has only just started! ;-O

des
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 08:26 am:   

Also, let me add, Rhys, I love all the printed outlets I was in over the years, whether amateurishly produced or not. My copy of 'Invasion of the Sad Man-Eating Mushrooms' fanzine rubs shoulders with my contributors' copies of 'Signals' (Constable Books 1990) on one side and John Pelan's beautiful black hardback Darkside Horror for the New Millennium (1996) on the other.

No wonder I can never find my published work when asked - bearing in mind this 'creative' shelving system! Still I can locate the five Daw 'Year's Best Horror Stories' paperbacks which I was in over consecutive years - in a place I know where they are - in the Eaves cupboards. Which one, though? Sorry, I'm rambling - probably because I've got a heavy cold and off sick from work.

BTW, 'Padgett Weggs' can now be found in the 'Weirdmonger' book.

Any more info about first publications out there?? I've probably got copies here! ;-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration