Short stories Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Short stories « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:48 am:   

What is a definition of short story?
I think that a story -- each story that needs, *aches*, to be told (an identifiable segment from the Collective Unconscious), by plot, character, mood, semantics, phonetics, visual ranks of dead insects called print, or some/all of these things -- has its optimum size into which it needs fitting. Bespoke, not off the peg.

Eventually, it's a work of extrapolated imagination in words that can comfortably be read and understood and enjoyed in one sitting. Both escapist and dutiful to the dreams and/or realities of humanity.
Des

Gwen Couch
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:24 am:   

What stories will be in your Prime story collection?

des
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:40 am:   

Thanks for the interest, Gwen. There are 67 stories that I myself have chosen from various weird and wonderful rare print sources for the period 1987-1999. (After all, who else could have chosen them?!) The collection will either be called 'Weirdmonger' of 'The Nemonicon' or both!
Des

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 03:57 am:   

Yes, Des, but what exactly *are* those stories???

We want some sort of listing please!

Just give us a sample of titles, if you don't want to list them all.

Will 'Jack in the Box' be in there? What about 'Between White Lines'? What about 'A Brief Return to Bonnyville'? etc, etc

Des
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:33 am:   

Hi, Rhys, appreciate the interest, but I can't list out 67 titles here, but Bonnyville is in there I recall. Hardback this year, paperback next. I am eagerly awaiting reading this book, as I've a very bad memory and can't remember (honestly) anything about the stories I've chosen. I know they were once published in print, though, and I have a vibe that they are probably there or thereabouts towards the top quality quartile of my output. (I feel very vulnerable talking about my work like this). Des

des
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   

New interview here;
http://www.terrortales.org/interviews.asp
Note: no mention of nemo!

I've now just seen the draft copy of the 'Weirdmonger' cover. Looks wonderful.
Des

des
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:10 pm:   

A great book I've just read is a collection of stories by A.S.Byatt called 'The Little Black Book Of Stories'. They are all, of course, brilliant, but I feel there are two masterpieces included: one that tells of a woman slowly turning into stone and a funny/serious story about a Creative Fiction Writer's Group. The latter is wonderful!!! Well, both are. All of them are! des

des
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:44 am:   

The blog HERE hopes to show each weekend a story by myself from among the 1500 stories I had published in print from 1986-1999 (many in very obscure outlets).

des
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 04:52 am:   

Has anyone done anything like this before?

Jamie
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

Not exactly, but there's Jay Lake's Story Words blog (I forget the address.) It's not a retrospective like the one you've linked to; rather, he writes new stories based on words suggested to him by various folk.

Jorge
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 01:46 pm:   

Well, I'm just trying to begin a one-a-week series of stories in my own blog, but they are supposed to be new stories... and I've been kind of blocked these last weeks, so no stories are out just yet.

I didn't give up, though... they'll pop up some day.

des
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 01:15 pm:   

I wish you luck with that, Jorge. When you start the series, put the address here, please.

My own venture is electronifying my back catalogue!

Advert here:
Pleased to announce a free service --
A weekly republished DF Lewis story HERE: eventually culminating in a massive electronic collection.
These stories will be selected from the 1500 stories printed between 1986-99 (some originally in obscure publications, others in more well known ones). No stories from the massive 'Weirdmonger' book will be selected.

Jorge
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   

The first one was just put online. :-) Quite satisfactory, I must say, although these stories, as they are, are little better than sketches. There's a lot to be done to them before they can be serious works of fiction.

The address? It's http://lampadamagica.blogspot.com. But don't expect to understand much: it's all in portuguese.

(you'll find some familiar pics there, though. ;) )

des
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:35 pm:   

Great stuff, Jorge. Most people think my stories are in a foreign language! ;-)
Recognise the pictures, thanks again. I'll have to let you have a copy of Nemo~4 so that you can put that up, too.
des

Jorge
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 05:17 pm:   

Well, that's probably because they are. At least when you look at them from where I'm standing. ;)

In fact, the funniest of things is that what one writes is incomprehensible rubbish for the vast majority of the world's population. Always. Funny if not alltogether comfortable.

Regarding the pictures, I have here a couple more to put up there. And I have this crazy hope of not being totally scant anymore a few months from now. Hope is a strange thing - comes and goes without warning or reason. So, yeah, I intend to order that blank cover together with every black character inside. Besides, I couldn't miss the issue of my formal denemonyzation, could I?

des
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 08:13 am:   

I've decided gradually to re-publish all my 1500 published stories that were printed between 1986-1999 (excluding those in the 'Weirdmonger' book) *and* to publish new DFL stories for the first time
....at these two sites completely free:
http://www.weirdmonger.blogspot.com/
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/

des
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:23 am:   

Just re-published my second ever published story (Seven Miles To Kidwelly) here:
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/

des
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

A brand new story by me is posted as my 'Story Of The Week' here:
http://wordonymous.esmartdesign.com/

It is nearly 2000 words long and entitled Porcelain

des
http://www.weirdmonger.com

des
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 04:02 am:   

I can announce that all my 1500 print-published stories are gradually being audited here and (in most cases) are/will be linked to free web-reads from the same list:
http://wordonymous.bravehost.com/
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration