Time Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lewis, D.F. » Time « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:13 am:   

Has anyone else read the short story 'The Magic Formula' by L.P.Jacks? Written in the twenties, its one hilarious story about the concept of Time I've ever read. An obscure masterpiece that I've just discovered. It also features gold coins. For various reasons, it's the optimum Nemonymous story that never was.

Made me think : what is Time?
Does time itself stop when each time a pendulum stops on the way up just before it comes down again? Does a benign theory of Time give us hope of an after-life?
Who was the popular British novelist and playwright who, I recall, wrote a philosophical book about Time? What is the difference between Time and Duration? Any other questions out there? Answers?
Des

Jetse
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:25 am:   

Well, Des, according to the English physicist Julian Barbour time doesn't exist. Only change exists and time is our delusional way of measuring change (or at least that's what I understand so far).

It's one of the core mysteries in Science, and nobody can give a hard definition of it.

Richard Feynman famously said: "Time is what happens if nothing else does." Barbour disagrees, stating that when there is no change, time disappears.

Anyway, if Nobel laureates and very learned souls don't know it, what can we poor mortals do?

FWIW, Jetse

Des
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 09:10 am:   

Thanks, Jetse. Time is a funny thing. We all live through various 'selves' - often perceived to be uninteractional - and time is the lubricant.
Also, how many friends have been made or lost because of the Internet? An important time-based question. I've gained a lot of new, otherwise unencounterable, friends because of the Internet. But lost too many.
Des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration