LACon IV and WorldCon Thanks List Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Interzone » LACon IV and WorldCon Thanks List « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jetse
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 05:05 am:   

As I'm slowly getting around to my post-Con emails and thank-you's, I figured to start this thread in which I intend to give thanks to all who helped me (and TTAPress\ Interzone in general).

First of all, the biggest thanks go to:

1) Jason and Lisa Stoddard, Ken Brady and Yuki? Yuni? (if there is a Hell where people burn for forgetting names, then I'll be one of the brightest fires. Forgive me please!), Adam Rakunas and his wife, and all the other Fictionados and everybody at Centric for all the great help they have given me before and throughout WorldCon.

Without you I wouldn't have been able to run the dealer's table, or throw the now illustrious Interzone party (and talk about near perfect shopping: at four in the morning there were literally left three cans of soda, one bottle of beer (which I personally finished), one half bottle of red wine, and one bottle of white wine).

And a special hats off to Jason: while running a very busy company (the number of meetings he had increased by the hour, and next to his offices in Valencia and New York he's opening a new one in Shanghai -- good luck, there, Ken!), he still finds time to pick me up from the airport and take me to the Valencia Hyatt (great hotel in a great location!), have dinner with me, arrange to get the magazines to Anaheim (thanks also to Ken and Adam), help me get the booze and food for the Interzone party (also thanks to Ken and Adam, again), personally selecting the superb wines (being a ' wine nut', as he calls it), throw a Fictionados tea party, and much more besides.

How he manages to get any writing done at all, is beyond me. I'll just paraphrase from John Picacio's WorldCon blog entry:

quote:

I'm convinced he's conquered the need to sleep... How does this man do it?

2) Ed Morris, for help, assistance and friendship above and beyond the call of duty. You've read his WorldCon report in the "Dragon*Con volunteers needed" thread, and even worse, all of it is true. Even more horribly, it isn't even complete: there's so much happening at a WorldCon that weeks later it still seems a blur.

Jetse
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 03:25 am:   

Thanks and greetings, continued:

--Sean McMullen: for being a gracious gentleman, and supporting us throughout. He used "The Measure of Eternity" for his reading, and immediately afterwards people were querying for that particular issue. We also had quite some quality bar/party time, and I certainly hope to meet you again, maybe in Australia, this time? And Hi to Catherine, and you know what to send me...

--the Lou Anders/John Picacio/Chris Roberson gang, with lots of people in tow, like Sean Williams and Paul Cornell (amongst many others): fantastic to see you all again, although Lou was mostly a caffeine-fueled blur rushing from program item to program item (though the short dinner with his wife Xin, son Arthur Robyn, and his mother was nice) and he only started to relax at the very end of the Con in the right bar (the Marriott bar); John Picacio who was attending so many award ceremonies (and congrats again on the Chesley) that it was a miracle he still showed up somewhere else; and Chris Roberson for being the party animal he is (and doing it in the Hilton bar: the Marriott was just better...).

--Jae Brim, Samantha Ling, and a third woman whose name escapes me (more damning evidence when I will burn in hell): sorry that Ed and I didn't make it to the Marriott bar until hours later, as clearing the dealer's table took much more time than expected;

--Jason Williams and Jeremy Lassen: the Nightshade Books posse rules!

--Jim Minz: the only editor with sufficient bar acumen to undertand Hal Duncan. Looking forward to Ink!

--Liz Gorinsky: for shouldering the thankless job of organising and hosting the Tor party: I feel your pain!

--Irene Gallo: keep an eye on that guy Dos Passos!

--John Joseph Adams: great to finally meet you. The next question is: will the Slush Master be as interesting as the Slush God?

--Gordon Van Gelder: good to see you again, and hope all continues to be well with your wife and daughter;

--Scott Edelman for indvertently providing me with a (sort of) napkin for the sauce of Harlan Ellison's spring rolls. Sorry about that, and you are as always the perfect gentleman;

More to follow as time, recall, and inspiration allow...

Jetse
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 05:13 am:   

Continued thanks and greetings:

--Kenn Brown and Chris Wren for being the class acts that they are;

--Pamelina for being a great artist and extremely cool to boot: great meeting you, we had such a good time that Ed and I almost arrived too late for the Hugo ceremony;

--Poalo Bacigalupi: Many, many thanks for the Special Summer Reading Issue of High Country News (and if we at IZ required the same, incredibly strict adherence to what is possible, we'd also only publish once a year, or so...), and I hope you enjoyed the Interzone I gave you in return;

--Al Reynolds for being himself, that is a true gentleman, a great writer, and a good friend (and for telling about a truly alternative use of bamboo: I still learn something new every day);

--Jonathan Strahan (and the Locus crew): if I ever get to Perth again, you'll be one of the first to know;

--Anya Martin and her father: for being one of our staunchest supporters, and for the invite to meet again at Dragon*Con, which we certainly did (to be continued);

Oh yeah, and I might get to the spring roll story later, but I'm deliberately holding back, as it's a juicy story to tell at FantasyCon...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration