Dracula - Asylum Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Witcover, Paul » Dracula - Asylum « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Erickson
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:02 am:   

Paul,

I'm only to chapter seven, but I wanted to drop you a note to say that I have not read a book of this depth in a long time.

I can honestly say, that I cannot remember the last time I actually felt scared when reading a passage. But your description of the WWI battlefield, coupled with the relentless power of Dracula, combine to give the reader a constant sense of uneasy-ness. Very, very impressive.

Not only that, but the storyline itself is beautifully done, is rich and full, and truly does capture the atmosphere of those old spooky movies. This is a rare gem. I rank it up there with Caleb Carr and Mark Frost, for sure.

I'm hoping you'll be involved with more Universal tie-ins, and plan on picking up your other works.

Okay, I'll quite gushing now...but I had to stop and say "thank you" for a great read.

Paul Witcover
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 01:03 pm:   

Thank you, Jim, for taking the time to contact me with such high praise. I'm glad you're enjoying the book -- I had a lot of fun writing it -- though "fun" isn't exactly the right word to describe all that WWI research!

I'm hoping I'll get to do more tie-ins as well. In the meantime, look for upcoming Universal monster books from Paul di Filippo and Elizabeth Hand!

Tim Cortina
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:36 am:   

I'm only in Chapter 5, I believe, but I am similarly impressed with this book. I bought it on a whim, along with the Frankenstein novel in the same line, not expecting a whole lot of writing quality. This does not necessarily make me any great critic and I know it, but I am a high school English teacher and also teach college composition, so even though I often like the premise/stories of media tie in type books, I find myself wading through awfully written text. I expected little from this book, but am seriously impressed with the word choice, elegance of prose, and just overall quality of the writing. Good stuff, and elegantly written, especially for "just a spin-off" book...unless the remaining content goes seriously downhill, this is a book to recommend to others and to be impressed by! I tip my hat to you! (Well, actually, I'm not wearing a hat, but you know what I mean.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration