HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Reviews and such

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Witcover, Paul » Reviews and such « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paulw
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:10 am:   

My book reviews appear in each issue of Realms of Fantasy magazine and with some frequency on the scifiweekly.com site. If anything I've written there strikes a nerve, or if you've come across obscure books I should consider reviewing, especially at ROF, let me know!

Roy White
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   

Hi.

I've seen you mention in a couple of places (in a review of "Spin" and in an interview, I think) that sf has been criticized for literalizing metaphor. I haven't quite grasped why this should be a negative--it seems to me a feature of any literature more imaginative than Theodore Dreiser.

But I'm writing on the off-chance that you aren't already familiar with Marianne Moore's "Poetry," in which she says that real poets must be literalitsts of the imagination who can present for inspection imaginary gardens with real toads in them. If that's not literalizing metaphor, I don't know what is.

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15654
Cheers,
Roy

Paul Witcover
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 03:17 pm:   

I always suspect that literalizing metaphor is seen by some as infantile; a throwback to a childish state of mind. And that that is bad because, after all, we are not children anymore.

Thanks for the link to the poem, Roy -- I hadn't realized that in her Collected Poems, Moore reduced "Poetry" to a mere three lines:

I, too, dislike it,
Reading it, however, with a perfect contempt for it, one discovers in
it, after all, a place for the genuine.

Leading me to wonder: what happened to the toad?

Roy White
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 01:33 pm:   

Infantile--yes, I suppose some people are glad to have outgrown their childish fascination with the images in language, with its ability to turn a twi-night doubleheader into a fearsome nocturnal monster. But their problem isn't with speculative fiction, they're not going to like Blake or Gogol any more than they do Brin or LeGuin.

Wrt the toads, I guess Moore began to dislike them, developed perhaps even a perfect contempt for them, but anthologies mostly print the version from the '20s. I don't know what Miss Moore was up to, I mostly know her as E. Bishop's somewhat equivocal mentor and the author of some bad baseball verse.
Cheers,
Roy

Punktowner
Username: Punktowner

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:28 am:   

Paul, I was extremely gratified by your recent reviews of my novels DEADSTOCK and HEALTH AGENT. Would you be interested in receiving copies of other of my recent books? You can contact me at necropolitan@hotmail.com with your mailing address, if so. Thanks again for the big drunken smiles you've given me.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |