Wizard of Oz -- alternate ending? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Witcover, Paul » Wizard of Oz -- alternate ending? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Witcover
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   

I'm curious to know if anyone remembers seeing a version of the MGM Wizard of Oz film on TV in which, after Dorothy's return to Kansas, she is shown still to be in possession of the ruby slippers.

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:29 am:   

I'm afraid, Paul, that only boys and girls who were VERY good got to see that version. The rest of us were stuck with the one where she's stuck back on the farm with a bunch of over-the-hill vaudevillians.

Paul Witcover
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 03:02 am:   

I suspected as much.

Charles Coleman Finlay
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 05:22 am:   

Paul, I haven't seen Wizard of Oz all the way through since I was a kid, but I remember the ruby slippers contrasting with the black and white screen as the camera pans back across the bed she's in surrounded by those said vaudevillians. Is that NOT the way it ends?

Paul Witcover
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 09:29 am:   

In fact, Charlie -- no. Though many, many people remember the film that way, a testament to the power of wishful thinking. That's what I find so interesting about this false memory shared by so many people -- I'm actually percolating a story on the subject.

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   

There may be a collective Oz performance memory at work here. The 1939 movie musical which we all remember was far from being the first (or the last - remember "The Wiz")film version of the Wizard of Oz.

Also there have been many stage productions, both amateur and professional (especially childrens' theater versions), of Wizard both before and after 1939. Red shoes in the black and white world is a terrific device and I'd be surprised if some people hadn't seen it done somewhere at some time and inserted that memory into their recollections of the film.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 06:32 pm:   

I remember clearly the moment when they find the wizard behind the curtain and it's W. C. Fields.

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   

I remember even more clearly that the wizard was Richard Nixon. And Toto was Checkers.

Steve Forstner
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:56 am:   

Seems to me there was also a "Return to Oz" which may have been animated. That may begin with Dorothy using the ruby slippers to go back to Oz, although I really can't remember for sure.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 03:37 pm:   

The 1985 movie Return To oz with Fairuza Balk was really disturbing. Anyone see that one?

Paul Witcover
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 03:21 am:   

yeah, I've seen that. The weird creatures on roller skates always freaked me out. And it was a Disney picture, too, I think.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration