HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

YA recommendations

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Witcover, Paul » YA recommendations « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Witcover
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 04:17 am:   

Howdy all -- Any recs on good YA sf for a precocious 10-year-old girl? Thanks!

Paul

AliceB
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   

Bruce Coville has written dozens of humorous SF books aimed for the 10-year old crowd: ALIENS ATE MY HOMEWORK; I WAS A SIXTH GRADE ALIEN; I LEFT MY SNEAKERS IN DIMENSION X: A ROD ALLBRIGHT ALIEN ADVENTURE; THERE'S AN ALIEN IN MY UNDERWEAR... and so on.

If she's also into fantasy, you can try Diane Duane's WIZARD books which crosses SF with fantasy.

Set in the future are Lois Lowry's THE GIVER; GATHERING BLUE; and MESSENGER.

An even more dystopic future is provided by Margaret Peterson Haddix's Shadow Children books: AMONG THE HIDDEN; AMONG THE IMPOSTERS; AMONG THE BETRAYED; and AMONG THE BARONS (SHADOW CHILDREN).

If she is very precocious, you could try out the Douglas Adam HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE books--although the humor I think works best with the 12 and up crowd.

My 10-year old SF and fantasy lover is really into the MERIDIAN and BONE comics.

I also can recommend lots of fantasy titles, if she is also into that.

Best,
Alice

Paul Witcover
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   

Thanks, Alice! Sure, some fantasy titles would be appreciated too. The more the merrier!

This is a reader who has devoured Ender's Game numerous times, so I think it's safe to say she's pretty advanced for 10.

montmorency
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 05:47 pm:   

Philip Reeve's Mortal Engine, a dystopic future with cities on caterpillar. Big bad London, with St. Paul's on its top, devouring smaller cities on the dried up Atlantic plain.

If a mystery is allowed, Blue Balliett's Chasing Vermeer is superb. It features Charles Fort and frogs.

AliceB
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 05:55 pm:   

More things a precocious 10-year old might like:

almost any novel by Daniel Pinkwater--he writes SF/humor (some of his interesting facts: space is the shape of New Jersey, and time is an elliptical bagel with poppy seeds);
THE EDGE CHRONICLES by Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell--fantasy with fabulous line drawings throughout;
THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi--same;
Elizabeth Kay’s DIVIDE series--fantasy with snippets of science;
Patricia Wrede's Dragon books, DEALING WITH DRAGONS, SEARCHING FOR DRAGONS, CALLING ON DRAGONS, and TALKING TO DRAGONS--yes, dragons, but funny;
almost anything by Eva Ibbotson--fantasy with a variety of fantastical creatures within the modern-day world;
Diana Wynne Jones' HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE and CASTLE IN THE AIR--fantasy;
Louis Sachar's HOLES--hard to classify, a kind of magical realism;
C. S. Lewis’s Narnia series–-the first three books are the best, and don’t follow the new ordering, she should read THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE first;
my 10-year old loves the OUTCAST series by Christopher Golden & Thomas E. Sniegoski, THE UN-MAGICIAN, DRAGON SECRETS, GHOST FIRE, and WURM WAR–-fantasy;
both Gail Carson Levine (e.g. ELLA ENCHANTED) and Donna Jo Napoli (e.g. THE PRINCE IN THE POND) have written many novels recasting fairy tales;
anything by Roald Dahl is usually a safe bet;
Neil Gaiman’s CORALINE is a dark fantasy perfect for 10-year olds;
DRAGONOLOGY, EGYPTOLOGY, WIZARDOLOGY, and FAIRYOPOLIS are almost irresistible with their interactive pop-ups, letters, tricks and doo-dads.

I know there’s a lot more, but I’m running out of steam. Hopefully something will entice her.:-)

Best,
Alice

Paul Witcover
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 03:12 am:   

Wow, an embarrassment of riches! Thanks to all!

P

LS
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 01:53 pm:   

Why not Jeff Ford's collection. It's in no way YA, except for, sorta, Elinn-Ok, but it doesn't have much in the way of offensive material....if she's really precocious, she'll love it.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 04:31 pm:   

Does she like stories? Both THE GREEN MAN and THE FAERY REEL are for YA readers. If it's not too young for her she might like Terri and my children's fairy tale series: A WOLF AT THE DOOR and SWAN SISTER. They're going to be reissued by B&N as DARL OF THE WOODS sometime soon--available in a bookstore (B&N) near you... real soon. (I don't know the date).

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 04:34 pm:   

And how about Daniel Pinkwater?

Paul Witcover
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:34 am:   

I'd forgotten about Pinkwater -- thanks, Ellen!

Your anthologies I already recced.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |