Reston Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Witcover, Paul » Reston « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Watts
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 04:36 pm:   

I just read your short story (novella?) Left of the Dial and I just wanted to say thanks. You really captured the experience of growing up in Reston--especially the bike paths. I grew up in Reston, attended Herndon, graduated in the late 70s. I may have even known members of your family--it's been so long, though.

I'll be reading more of your work. You have a wonderful way with words.

Take care.

TCO
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 07:17 pm:   

*up periscope*

1. Where is the story?

2. I still visit my Mom in Reston occasionally. I grew up there and graduated in 84.

3. Want to have a beer at Lake Anne some time?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:25 pm:   

SCI FICTION. In our archives:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/witcover/witcover1.h tml

TCO
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   

1. You watching me awful close, gal.

2. Guess your fanzine is good for something.

3. Err...thanks.

TCO
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 12:15 am:   

Paul,

That is frigging bizarre.

1. How much of the story is autobiographical?

2. I'm sitting about 100 yards from intersection of South Lakes and Soapstone as I write this.

3. I was mostly skimming the story for Reston stuff as I read, but it got interesting in second half.

4. Do you really have a sis in Richmond? I live in the Fan.

5. http://restonweb.com/contrib/memories.html

6. (On topic) you can't go back, man. You just can't.

7. Sheesh, I wonder if I should remember you. You go to Herndon or SL? Gotta go upstairs and dig up a yearbook. Didn't see you in there. Hmm...

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 05:34 am:   

TCO,

Just a minor thing (and maybe you were just teasing, in which case, sorry for being dense) -- SCI FICTION is not even close to being a "fanzine."

It is one of the top professional markets, and publishes some of the best guality fiction out there.

paulw
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 09:24 am:   

Hi Kevin and TCO,

Thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed the story.

I attended Herndon High from 1972-1976, lived in Reston from about '68 through '80. There are definitely auto-biographical elements to the story!

TCO: Restonweb. Wow.

Kevin, my new novel, Tumbling After, is set in another locale you may know: Bethany Beach, Delaware.

TCO
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   

1. oooh, oooh, oooh! Can we get one in Nags Head after that?

2. You're older than me.

3. Is Bethany still dry?

4. (Vera) I guess it's a real market. Don't tell Ellen that though. Like keeping her down.

TCO
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

You hadn't seen Restonweb before? I mean it equals your story, no? Simultaneuous invention or something. Oh...I have never seen a car on the bikepaths and have done lots of late night walks. I will literally spank you if I find you doing that. (Unless you like that.)

paulw
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 03:02 pm:   

Hi TCO,

Bethany is not dry. Far from it! It never was, as far as I remember -- and my family has been going there since the 60s. The drinking age was 21, however, which for a 3-year span back in the 70s required my friends and I to drive across the Maryland border to buy liquor.

I have yet to talk to another Restonite who drove on the bikepaths. I recommend it highly, in every sense of that adjective.

Kevin Watts
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:46 pm:   

Paul:

Do you have a younger sister named Julie? If so, I'm just remembering attending a party at your house. Pretty wild stuff for ALPers.

I was editor of the Stinger (or Stinker) in 79. Now there was a fine publication.

I'll look for your new work.

-Kevin

TCO
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 08:40 pm:   

Well I can't remember exactly. Maybe it was Dewey Beach or one of those other ones.

I was in elementary when you were in HS. Remember seeing all you hippies hanging out on the grass with your gfs. When I got to HS it was a different scene. Fine with me though.

paulw
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:06 am:   

Hi Kevin,

Yep, my youngest sister is Julie -- she's going to be here in town on Wednesday, so I'll tell her you said hello!

ALP! Now there's an acronym I haven't heard for a while . . . Remember Mrs. Nyrop?

And I have fond memories of working for the Stinger.

Kevin Watts
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Paul:

I do remember Mrs. Nyrop, although all the faces are starting to meld together. My most vivid recollection of a teacher was a dude named Mr. Dubin, who taught English. I swear the guy was a borderline psycho.

Actually, my fondest memories of HHS were in the Stinger room. As a senior I cut most of my classes to spend time in there...it's amazing that I graduated at all. I do think we did a good job on the thing...I'm not sure everyone shared that opinion, though.

Say hi to Julie. We didn't really know each other very well...tell her I was a friend of Pat Wagner and Erik Low, two committed ALP'ers who dragged me into the inner circle.

Steve Stark
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   

I do hope the mother dying part wasn't autobiographical. Your autobiographical mother was my English teacher at Westminster School, and a great person (which you no doubt know).

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 05:10 am:   

Hi Steve,

Why don't you contact me privately at stilskin@sff.net.

Paul

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration