Novella - "Left of the Dial" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Witcover, Paul » Novella - "Left of the Dial" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 07:09 pm:   

This is a good place to discuss the amazing novella by Paul that appeared recently in SCI FICTION.

It was so *real* that it got under my skin.

Luke
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 08:16 am:   

I really enjoyed the story as well. I guess you can't step in the same river twice

rick bowes
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 11:20 pm:   

The damn thing's hypnotic.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 06:56 am:   

It's very brave, very true, and must have been painful to write...

Way to go, Paul.

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 01:21 pm:   

Thanks, Lucius, rick, luke, and vera!

It was painful at times, but in the end cathartic. Probably the most cathartic writing experience I've had, at least compressed into one story.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   

That's where the good stuff comes from, man. You know? :-)

rick bowes
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   

Some of the same feeling I got from this is in your novel TUMBLING AFTER.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 03:06 pm:   

I'll print out the story tomorrow.

Still can't wait for TUMBLING AFTER.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 06:36 pm:   

Rick, you got to *see* TUMBLING AFTER already, you lucky bastard? ;-)

paulw
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 02:26 pm:   

Rick heroically helped me out with Tumbling After and with Left of the Dial.

Actually, just reading his stuff has been incredibly helpful to me! Thanks, Rick -- and keep the stories coming!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 04:15 pm:   

Yeah, he's due to get me a new one!

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   

Hi Paul

Actually, it was fun - reading your stuff. More fun than writing mine, certainly.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:49 pm:   

Hi Ellen

I'm hoping the deadline will provide inspiration.

EDatlow
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   

uh huh. Ok. Waitinnnnnggggg.

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 07:46 pm:   

I'm right on it!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 08:11 pm:   

Very good. That's what I like to hear.

Ok. So anyone know the email address of Boris --Russian or Estonian editor? I think his last name begins with "S." I've corresponded with him but the emails and address are on my laptop, which Jim Freund has in Brooklyn.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:42 pm:   

Hi Paul, I just read the last part of your novella. It's the first story I've read by you, but hopefully not the last. I thought this group of pot-head, D&D playing friends, you created were convincing. I thought the first two parts worked really well, building up the characters and exposing their tragic relationships. The conclusion was bitter-sweet and fitting. Nicely done.:-)

paulw
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   

Thanks, StephenB -- much appreciated!

kellys
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   

Hi Paul,

I really enjoyed your novel Tumbling After, just bought a used and battered copy of your first novel (which deserves to be in-print!), and was now wondering what's up next for you?

Thanks for indulging a fan.

Kelly S.

paulw
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:35 am:   

Hi Kelly!

Used and battered -- just like me.

I have a brand-new novel coming out in December called Dracula: Asylum. It's a sort-of sequel to the great Universal horror film starring Bela Lugosi, set in and around a mental hospital in England in 1918. I'm very happy with it.

If you live in New York City or nearby, you can come hear me read from it on Tuesday, Oct. 4. http://www.hourwolf.com/nyrsf

I'm glad you enjoyed TA, and I appreciate your taking the time to let me know! I hope you get a kick out of Waking Beauty too.

Paul

kellys
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 06:12 pm:   

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the info. Dracula: Asylum sounds like a lot of atmospheric fun (though, it should be released closer to October 31!).

Unfortunately, I live in Wisonsin and therefore never get the opportunity to see a lot of my favorite authors read. I will be at WFC in Madison this November, though.

Kelly

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 04:27 am:   

That Dracula thing's part of Dark Horse's new prose line, isn't it? Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be sure to check it out.

paulw
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 05:26 am:   

Kelly, I'll be at WFC too, and hopefully reading, so you'll get another chance. Come up and say hello.

Mas, it is part of the new Dark Horse line. Paul Di Fillipo just finished one as well, and Liz Hand is working on one too. We are . . . the monsterpunks!

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 05:45 am:   

John Shirley's writing a Predator novel in that line, and Michael Jan Friedman is writing both Aliens and The Wolf Man, I know. . .

What are Paul di Fillipo and Liz Hand writing? Are they both doing classic monsters?

kellys
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Sounds like it could be a fun line of books.

I'll definitely say hello at WFC. Don't mind if I ask you to sign Tumbling After, do you?

Will there be a schedule posted in advance for all the WFC readings?

Bob K.
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   

Hey, Paul,

It's been awhile. The new activity on this thread brought "Left of the Dial" to my attention, and I went over and got it from SciFiction (stripped out the source from the pages, fed it into my eBook software, and read it on my Rocket down on the couch by the fire while drinking beer). I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks! I knew this Lisa -- her name was Jeanie, though, but otherwise the same, down to the black hair, blue eyes, and punk couture. I'd like to flatter myself that I was a D&D geek in the idiom of your characters, but I was less cool. My senior year of high school, I attempted a story similar to this one. I'd been corresponding with Kate Wilhelm and told her that I'd had been having trouble finishing stuff but that I'd probably get this one done if I told her I would. And I did. Never sent it to her, though. Instead I put it in a drawer and rewrote it in college. The dead guy wasn't a suicide; he'd been killed in an accident, and the narrator was led to the fateful spot by a letter he'd found shortly thereafter in the guy's Dungeon Master Guide. It wasn't a bad story, but yours was -- as one might assume -- way better.

The story resonated in another way. My dad's always been in top shape, but for the last year he's been fighting bad cancer. Now I want to smoke a joint...

Best,

Bob K.

paulw
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 04:35 am:   

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about your dad. I wish him and the rest of your family well in what is obviously a tough fight. Jeff Ford posted a powerful story about his mom's struggle with cancer on his blog last week; I don't know if you've seen it, but it will make you want to smoke more than just one joint.

I was a D&D geek in high school, but also a lot less cool than my characters! Anyway, glad you enjoyed the story!

Donnie Shue
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   

Hi Paul,

I just want to say 'Left of the Dial' is one ABsoF-ingLUTELY great story!! I take my SciFi reading AND my HFS very seriously and I look forward to finding your work in the bookstore real soon. Oh yeah.....isn't it amazing that reality is even more wierd than fiction here? Not only DID HFS end up Talk Radio(FreeFM GRRRRRR) but it had to go thru Spanish radio AND a frequency change to DO it!!

paulw
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 04:13 am:   

Hi Donnie,

I sometimes wonder what happened to Weasel and Damien, et al. Weasel especially. Who would have thought that such an annoying voice could become so Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the story. You can find my latest novel, Tumbling After, in your local bookstore, or order it online. And my first book, Waking Beauty, is out of print, but used copies are available online. My next novel, Dracula: Asylum, should be out early next year. End of advertisement!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration