Hail to the Redskins Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Witcover, Paul » Hail to the Redskins « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:49 am:   

Any Skins fans out there? I know, it's been a long, lonely slog through seasons of humiliation.

But it looks like things may be improving at last -- news is that Joe Gibbs will be returning next year as head coach!

What do you think? Does Joe still have what it takes?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

I am a Giants fan, and loath the Redskins, but even I feel for the plight of Redskins fans under the reign of Beltway Danny Snyder, probably the worst pro sports owner ever. How you guys have restrained yourselves from putting that little money-grubbing wretch's head on a pike is beyond me.

They say that an infinite number of monkeys pounding on an infinite number of typewriters could eventually write all the works of Shakespeare. By the same token, eventually Danny Snyder is bound to make a good personnel move.

I have not heard that Gibbs IS coming back. Latest word in DC is that he is in "serious discussions" about coming back. While this shows that Snyder's starf***er mentality remains intact, at least he's f***ing the right stars for a change. The question is, can a guy who's been away from the game for 11 years, happily running his NASCAR team, pick up right where he left off? There are going to be at least a couple of seasons of stumbles while Gibbs gets up to speed; the challenge will be to see how well everyone weathers this lean period. The Danny hasn't shown much patience for losing (and he's gotten so GOOD at it, too!). But I guess if Vermeil can come back and win, so can Gibbs. Eventually.

Objectively speaking, Snyder blew it when he let Schottenheimer go. Schottzy had the team turned around and was winning ballgames. He just wasn't a glam enough name for Little Danny.

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

Don't get me started with Snyder. What a disaster. Makes Jack Kent Cooke look like a philanthropist by comparison.

I'm not sure that Gibbs can't come back and start winning right away. His motivational and organizational skills, and personnel acquisition talents, are amazing -- look how quickly he rose to the top in NASCAR. Plus, he's stayed in football, at least peripherally, and is up on all the latest offensive/defensive strategies. Key will be his ability to get quality assistants.

What do you think of the Giants choice as head coach? Probably the best they could expect, it seems to me, but I'm not wowed by the guy.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 10:21 am:   

I can't say anything too bad about Coughlin, since he comes from my alma mater and had good success for a number of years with the Jags.

But still...

It never ceases to amaze me what a closed caste NFL head coaches are. It's like the same dozen guys cycle through every new job opening. Think of another job where you would say, "Well, Jones just had three lousy years and his numbers are way down and Excelsior Corp. just fired him. Sounds like our man!!!!" Why would a team be excited about hiring somebody who just got canned for bad performance at his last team? But that's the way the NFL works. In another industry, you might be tempted to comb the junior ranks for some hot up-and-comers, some new blood. But not in the NFL. Now, teams are salivating over Jim Fassel? I'm surprised Dan Reeves isn't getting interviews!

(Okay, so every year two or three "hot" assistants get interviewed. But often, these guys were head coaches before and got demoted, cf Ray Rhodes. It's still a pretty cliquish situation.)

As for Coughlin, if he can instill some discipline, keep his head in games, avoid bonehead calls and get the Jints' underachievers to show up on Sunday (or Monday!), I'll be happy.

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:26 pm:   

There is another job where you can say exactly that, Dave -- it's called editing!

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 01:38 pm:   

Sign me up!

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 06:43 am:   

Uh oh...

Now, it begins. DC media is already going way, way overboard with high expectations over this Gibbs thing (Post headline: "The Return of the King." No lie.) just like they did with Jordan, Deion, Spurrier, etc. Danger sign. High expectations means many bruised egos in an 8-8 season.

Also, try this on for size: "Snyder, as always, will continue to control purse strings and handle contract negotiations..." Personnel decisions are going to be made by Gibbs, Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, which means Snyder and his lackey will be able to outvote The King.

Trouble a-brewin' already...

paulw
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 07:05 am:   

Or wishful thinking from a Giants' fan? (heh-heh)

Seriously, Dave, you would have had to live in DC, as I did, for much of the Gibbs' era to understand the awe in which he is held (and I grew up in DC, attending games through the tenure of Graham, Lombardi, Allen, et al.).

To DC football, it is no hyperbole to call Gibbs "the King." Jordan, Deion, Spurrier -- they were all hyped, obviously, but none of them were returning to a site of former greatness. Remember, too, that Gibbs left while he was still on top. He has the third best winning percentage in pro football history, and his playoff record is 16-5 . . . in ten seasons.

Imagine if the Giants had coaxed Parcells away from the Cowboys to return -- that's about the only parallel to Gibbs coming back to the Skins.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:49 am:   

Gibbs' legend is not in dispute. He was a great one all right. (The Post basically devoted its entire sports section today to him.) But my experience is that people don't change overnight, especially not young, rich people. Maybe Beltway Danny will really back out of the way when Gibbs enters the room and defer to him on important decisions. If so, things look good for the Skins. But if past is prologue, he's going to insist on being an equal partner and getting final say, in which case, the fur could really fly. Beltway Danny may be as headstrong as Jack Kent Cooke, but I doubt he has the horse sense to leave things to the experts.

paulw
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:18 am:   

I agree that the dynamic between Danny Boy and Gibbs will be interesting to watch. But Danny needs Joe more than Joe needs Danny, and Joe, at least, will recognize that.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I do have a bad feeling. Gibbs is reassembling his old crew (Bugel, Grimm, etc.) and I just have to believe there's a "you can't go home again" ending in there somewhere. (Bugel was positively manic on the George Michael sports last night; he reminded me of "Pops" in "The Longest Yard.")

That having been said, Tom Coughlin is lecturing the New York media about how he won't let players slouch in their chairs during meetings, like he's expecting a bunch of acne-scarred freshmen from Billerica High.

For good or ill, it's going to be an interesting year, to say the least.

paulw
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   

Yeah, bringing in those vaunted disciplinarian-type coaches can definitely backfire. It's easy to point to the players and accuse them of being immature, but the NFL is rather late in the whole process to begin changing that, and it's only after a losing season, when scapegoats are needed, that the issue even comes up. Some coaches, and I'm not saying Coughlin is one -- I don't know enough about him -- seem to believe in the old Roman saying: "let them hate, so long as they fear."

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:35 pm:   

I've got to admit: if Gibbs could make lemonade out of some of the yo-yo's the Skins had in the 80s (Riggins, Theisman, Manley), maybe his personnel approach is the way to go. But I've got to believe that somebody in the Giants organization needs to sit down Shockey and Strahan and tell them it's put up or shut up time. Supposedly Tommy C. had a heart-to-heart with Tiki about his little "ball protection" problem, but I fail to see how a lecture is going to cure a weak grip.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 01:56 pm:   

I used to just loathe the Skins -- Now I'm hoping for a meteor to hit the stadium some Sunday. I guess that says something. :-)

paulw
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:14 pm:   

Lucius, I pray every week for a meteor to hit the stadium -- then they could move back to RFK, a truly great football arena. Watching games there was so viscerally exciting . . . there were times, when tens of thousands of feet were stomping, that I would look across the field to the opposite seating, and watch it all move up and down as in an earthquake, and fear for my life.

Growing outside my window, in a pot on my fire escape, is a piece of the auld sod -- torn up from the 45 yard line following the last game in RFK!

P

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 04:33 pm:   

You know, I;m a Browns-Dallas-Bucs fan. The operative word being Dallas. So your bit about the auld sod in the pot doesn't exactly bring a tear to my eye....Far as I'm concerned, a pot is just the place for it... :-)

paulw
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 04:51 pm:   

I can't say how shocked and disappointed I am in you, Lucius, to learn that you, like so many of your fellow citizens, are a fan of "America's Team." Somehow, I never pictured you as one of Landry's boys . . . I thought you were better than that . . .

Another illusion shattered . . .

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 05:23 pm:   

Fuck Landry! I hated that guy. I'm basically a Browns fan, but when JJ left Miami and when guys like Michael Irvin started playing for the Boys, I started to like 'em....

paulw
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:32 am:   

Well, I'll grant you that the Cowboys always had the ability to find great players. I never got used to seeing Parcells on the sidelines this season, however . . .

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 07:25 am:   

The NFC East is going to be a total downer next year. How great was it, when old lacquer-head was coaching grandstanding clowns like Michael "She's No Ho', She's a 'Free-Lance Model'" Irvin and the Cowgirls were running their boys-only party shack? Now, there was a team that the world could truly loathe! And the Skins with Steve Spurious making farty-faces on the sideline after every bone-jarring Ramsay sack? Hilarious!

Now, I can't root against the Cowboys because they are coached by the Tuna. I can't root as hard against the Redskins, because it's hard to hate Joe Gibbs. We don't have the sorry-ass Cards to kick around anymore...For a Giants fan, the NFC East is just no damn fun. Hell, Mike Mamula isn't even on the Eagles, exposing himself in bars anymore...

And Paul is right about RFK. My first year in DC, I talked a woman I was dating into taking me to see a Jints-Skins game and the atmosphere was electric, even if most of the Skins fans we met didn't seem to have both oars in the water. One woman was plastering seats with campaign literature for her bid for "Rabid Redskins Fan of the Week" on the George Michael sports and bitching to anyone who would listen about the injustice of having to "run" against identical twin midgets.

My sense of FedEx from people who have been there is that, aside from it being a mini-police state dedicated to lining the pockets of Beltway Danny, it's a pretty sterile atmosphere that sells out on paper due to corporate-held tickets that noone bothers to show up for on Sunday. Wonder what "The King" will think of his new domain?

paulw
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:00 am:   

You're dead-on about FedEx field, Dave. Going there -- and I see one or two games there each season -- is a real downer. It's hard to get to; forget about buying even water there, it'll cost you $10; and the atmosphere is so cavernous that it swallows the crowd instead of amplifying them.

Get this -- a few years ago, the Post did a retrospective on the Skins organization, and one of the guys they talked to was Jack Kent Cooke's son, who actually (after his dad moved the team from RFK Stadium to "Jack Kent Cooke Stadium") belabored the organization for disloyalty by changing the stadium's name to FedEx Field. Unreal.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:34 am:   

What was the story with the son again? I expected him to inherit the team, but the Squire crossed everybody up and left everything to some foundation, right? Didn't the junior Cooke get a little piece of the team and fail in his attempts to buy it outright?

paulw
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:50 am:   

That's exactly right, Dave.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:00 pm:   

"Grand-standing clowns like Michael Irvin?" You're a real player-hater, aren't you, pal! At least the cowboys don't a have racist playing QB or a a tailback who wets his pants and fumbles twice a game. At least the Cowboy players were good and not a bunch of lame-ass rejects. At least Michael Irvin wasn't afraid to go over the middle like most of the Giant wide-outs. You know?

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   

I never heard the bit about the Giants having a racist QB. Simms? Hoss? Collins? Please elaborate. I can take it.

Look, I'm not going to say that Irvin was a bad football player. But watching that guy strut through a courthouse metal detector to face the music on his cocaine bust with his floor-length fur coat just made me cringe. And I can't stand his blowhard, self-aggrandizing, show-offy pre-game commentary. Not to mention those suits by the Brothers. And I do mean Ringling, not Brooks.

Before you even say it, I can't defend Phil Simms as an announcer, either. He started off well, but ever since he got the idea of trying to capture some of those John Madden "village idiot" fans by injecting aw-shuckses and Gomer-Pyle-isms into his color commentary, I have found him hard to listen to. But at least when he gets face time in the booth, I don't want to hand him a red nose and a seltzer bottle...

Hey, before you go ballistic on my sorry ass, just remember, I didn't sling any mud on Troy or Emmitt or Moose or Jay or...

paulw
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:25 pm:   

John Madden has had a terrible effect on broadcasting -- all these bozos now attempt to imitate him, and he's even imitating himself now. But at least he knows what the fuck he's talking about, unlike most of them.

In DC, the Skins games are broadcast on radio by Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff -- Huff can be a bit dense sometimes, but Sonny is the best analyst I've ever heard. I think his accent kept him from TV broadcasting.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:09 pm:   

My God, man, have you ever seen those Ch. 4 sportscasts where George Michael lets Sonny narrate highlights from other sports, like golf? He may be Nijinsky in the football booth, but when he stumbles outside his comfort zone he's Fred "Rerun" Berry...

paulw
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:37 pm:   

No, thank god I haven't seen those. Now that Lucius has admitted to being a Cowboy fan, Sonny's just about the only hero I've got left -- don't take him away!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:59 pm:   

Well, my advice if you want to hang on to yr idol, is to avoid Saturday Night "Redskins Report" (Michael, Wilbon, Riggo, Jurgensen) at all costs. Actually, if you can get a friend with TiVo to just save the Riggo outbursts, those are quite comical...

paulw
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   

Yeah, my sister was telling me that Riggo retains his inimitable form . . .

Deborah
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:14 pm:   

Paul -- Don't hold that Cowboys thing against Lucius, it's based on his being a 'Canes fan. You can hold that against him instead. :-)

John Picacio
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:22 am:   

RE: Lucius being a Cowboys fan....

I can't let you guys pile on my boy Lucius....so I decided to stop by over here since he seems outnumbered (but far from outwitted) by you fellas...

I'm a diehard Cowboys guy since way back....back before the three Super Bowl victories....before the 1-15 days....back before Danny White and Gary Hogeboom were eating Veterans Stadium concrete in the early 80's...back to the late '70's....back to when that strange dude with the hat walked the sidelines with dignity....(yeah, unlike Lucius, I respected Landry...)

Question: Where was all this Redskins spirit just a couple of weeks ago when Spurrier was the coach? Where was all this diehard Redskins spirit then? :-)

Seriously, all junk aside....I'm intrigued to see what happens with the Cowboys/Skins rivalry now that Tuna is large and in-charge over here and Gibbs is back to inject life into the Skins.

I offer one small truth....as a Cowboys diehard, I almost WANT to see the Skins be a force again...because the truth is I don't know a single Cowboys fan that actually HATES the Skins anymore....the Skins haven't been relevant to the Cowboys for a very, very long time...

I don't know how many consecutive victories we have against the Skins....something like 11 or 12, but it's a bunch....I'd welcome this to become a rivalry again...I really would....

I think Snyder will see the way JJ stayed away from Tuna and he'll do the same with Gibbs. If Tuna could work the wonders he did with the Boys this year, I expect Gibbs will move on a very fast track as well....frankly, I think Gibbs inherits more overall team talent than Tuna did with the Boys this year. Gibbs is a helluva hire....and Skins fan has a right to be overjoyed. Heil to the Skins (you guys really need to get 21st century and change that team name though....still REDSKINS? )....oh well....:-)

paulw
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

John, you ask where the Redskins spirit was a couple of weeks ago? And trot out your allegiance to the Cowboys, going back a paltry twenty-odd years . . . How about going back to the late-sixties, which is when I first started attending Redskins games, a boy of 8 or 9, but old enough to understand something of the game, and young enough to appreciate the heroics of Jurgensen, Huff, Mitchell, Taylor, and Jerry Smith. It was then that I learned to hate Landry and his flashy, empty-souled Boys . . .

It was their arrogance, their self-appointed role as America's Team, that grated, their penchant for dirty hits while proclaiming themselves squeaky-clean, as well as Landry's man-in-the-grey-flannel-suit, hat and tie persona, which has recently been revived in the Matrix films . . .

But along with you, I do miss the old rivalry, and hope that it comes back. The Boys have indeed owned the Skins for the past six seasons or so, but in fact the majority of those games were meaningless anyway, because neither team was going anywhere. Besides, rivalries are more fleeting in this league, because a good rivalry depends upon human beings to hate, and nowadays any player is apt to be playing against his former team almost from one season to the next.

I also agree that the team name should change. It's embarrassing to see it defended at all -- if only Gibbs had made that a condition of his hiring!

John Picacio
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 08:57 am:   

Hey, Paul --

I kinda dug everything you had to say....but you lost me on that MATRIX connection!! C'mon, man!!! A bit of a stretch there, don't you think? :-)

I guess if I were to put on your shoes, the guy to really hate wasn't Landry, but Tex Schramm, the then-general manager that came up with all the "America's Team" stuff and the PR. That stuff wasn't Landry's creation. But that's ancient history, at this point....

Yeah -- the relevancy of the Cowboys and the Skins in the NFL has been pretty much non-existent these past few years, and from my standpoint, the NFL is a better place with a Cowboys/Skins rivalry.

So props to you guys for the hire....let's hope these games start to matter again....

paulw
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   

Yeah, okay, I admit the Matrix thing was a bit of a stretch!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 07:36 pm:   

Kerry Collins was busted out of Carolina for consistent;y using the N word in relation to his teammates. Apparently Penn State has some problems relating to race -- apparently Collins is symptomatic of them. I'm sure he's rehabbed by now and I guess that makes it okay, but Michael, the partying, the exuberance or as you put it, the show-off, that sin's forever...

As to not being able to stand Irvin on the pre-game shows, here's a clue, switch channels.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 08:00 pm:   

John....

Having Joe Gibbs makes the Redskins eminently hate worthy, not because they may be better, but because of Gibbs -- I never can stand those preacher jimmy joe christian kind of coaches whom Jesus lives inside and etc.

paulw
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:43 am:   

Lucius,

Granted that Gibbs is a born-again christian, but he's never prostelyzed, that I can recall, never insisted that his team toe any kind of religious line -- in fact, he's always seemed to appreciate characters like Riggo. To me, worse than the coaches are the players who point heavenward after a score or big play, or drop to their knees with bowed head, or make some other gesture indicating their privileged relationship with the ultimate football fan. I think such gestures should be banned from the game and penalized when they occur. Or, I'd like to see some receivers or running backs genuflecting toward Mecca or lighting incense in the end zone or slaughtering a chicken.

paulw
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:11 am:   

Er, that should have been "proselytized" . . .

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:17 am:   

"....he's always seemed to appreciate characters like Riggo....."

Yeah, that's cause he believes Riggins is going to helll.... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:18 am:   

Lucius:

A painful admission...the Playmaker actually seems to have toned down his act in recent weeks to let TJ and Mr. Young get some words in edgewise. This weekend, he was almost...forgive me...bearable...

As for changing the channel, a nice idea in theory, but to WHAT? Antiques Roadshow? On CBS, it's Deion and Shannon Sharpe. On Fox, it's Jimmy Johnson and Terry Bradshaw. Every network is exceeding its goofus-quotient for NFL pregame...

Speaking of which...the quote of the year:

"In the words of 70's rock group Kansas, 'All we are is dust in the wind.' Lots and lots of dust..."
----Boomer Berman, Jan. 11, 2004

What the hell is that guy on about???

Since we're all coming clean, I am a Giants fan and have had to live in my own special little corner of hell this season, watching a playoff contender fritter away its talent as only a Jints 11 truly can. I learned about disappointment from Fran the Man Tarkenton, Joe Morrison, Homer Jones, Fred Dryer, Ron Johnson, etc., suffered through the Miracle at the Meadowlands, Jake Reed's OB catch that put the Jints out of the playoffs in '94 (or, as I call it "The Jake Mistake"), last season's heinous swoon against the Niners (or, as I like to call it, "The Bomb at 3Com"), this season's embarrassing Monday Night loss to the Cowboys and, in between, more heartache and shame than one fan should endure. This season was just the cherry on top, and I endured it stoically.

I hate both the Cowboys and Redskins equally, and the prospect of both these evil empires becoming good again at the same time makes my blood run cold.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:27 am:   

OK, well enough ranting and back to the subject at hand. The Post tends to bury any disquieting news, but I did notice this in Nunyo DiMasio's Redskins Notes for Friday:

"[Joe] Gibbs has had difficulty reaching several players because of changed phone numbers and unreturned calls. 'You've gotta be the CIA to get in touch with the players,' Gibbs said, cackling..."

Could be nothing. But when you consider one of the things that got Spurrier bounced was players who couldn't be bothered to turn their cell phones off in team meetings, lack of discipline is no joke.

I mean, who are these players who aren't returning Joe Gibbs' phone calls?

paulw
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 03:38 am:   

And what's up with that "cackling"? That seems like a strangely subjective adverb to place into a news story . . . I mean, the guy's a football coach, not the Wicked Witch of the West . . .

rick bowes
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:04 am:   

Now there's a story idea: The Wicked Witch Of The West is coach of an NFL team.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 08:35 am:   

Come on, Paul. The Gibbs cackle is known thoughout Nascar and the NFL. Gibb's chicken fixation has long been an article of his eccentricity. At the Gibbs home there is a special room known as the roost, wherein Joe goes to brood, sitting in an enormous nest, perched upon a number of eggs. Word has it that Mark Schereth was one of his early hatchlings... :-)

paulw
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:38 am:   

So Gibbs is a born-again cackler, eh?

Rick -- I leave the Wicked Witch idea to you. I think it's got "Hugo" written all over it!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:42 pm:   

Paul: Did you see the news yesterday re: Gibbs being in Florida to try to sign Mark Brunell and having a diabetic attack? He was rushed to the hospital and is OK now, but it was a scary moment for Redskins nation.

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

Hi Dave -- I did see that -- I was running on the treadmill at my gym at the time -- they almost had to rush *me* to the hospital!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:48 am:   

The real reason Gibbs was rush to the hospital was (to paraphrase Magic Johnson) the HIV virus that he has attained. Apparently while involved in NASCAR, Gibbs had a kind of May-December thing with Dale Earnhardt Jr's half-brother KiKi Earnhardt amd was often seen desporting himself in the bathhouses of the newly liberal South. This may account for Gibbs stated desire to make Ashton Kucher the Skins first pick in the upcoming draft....

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:51 am:   

Man! First Parcells with his frosted hair, and now this! At least we can count on good ol' tough-as-nails Tommy Coughlin! (I would have never guessed Gibbs...my guess would have been Billick...)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:00 am:   

I'm afraid Tom Coughlin's butch act is onluy a mask hiding a gentle soul whose off-field passions are flower arrangement and a lovely herb garden...

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   

I wonder how one attains the HIV virus?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   

No way. Coughlin is 100% B.C. he-man. If rosemary or terragon were involved, it would have been all over Chestnut Hill...The only herb that got near old Tommy Boy was a sprig of parsley on his Ground Round cheddar burger.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:26 am:   

Paul, you'd have to ask ol' Magic.

Dave, when those pictures come out, you're gonna be amazed...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:53 am:   

Lucius, if your cabal is involved in any attempt to scandalize Tom Coughlin, I shall be forced to release streaming video of the Antiques Roadshow outtakes of John Gruden discussing his collection of cameos with the owner of a Tampa-area auction house. It is powerful stuff, not for the squeamish. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 10:36 am:   

OK Redskin lackeys and running dogs! What do you say about Gibbs getting rid of Champ Bailey for draft picks and to free up room for signing Mark Brunell?

lucius also
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 10:37 am:   

PS -- and oh yeah, as a byproduct of this, losing Patrick Ramsay, who I think is a top young QB....?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 10:46 am:   

IMHO, Champ Bailey is a real star and one of the linchpins of that defense. Ditching Bailey and Ramsay (who has shown he has talent and can play at a high level if not peeling himself off the turf 15 times a game) for Brunell (who has been injured a lot and is probably damaged goods) is very very shortsighted.

Call me crazy, but do I detect the hand of Beltway Danny "Get Me the Biggest Name Available Regardless of Cost" Snyder in all this?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:00 am:   

I don't think so -- Gibbs likes crafty vets and he knows he doesn;t have much time. He thinks he can win this year and thinks he has a better chance with a vet. Ramsay was Snyder's guy--Spurrier wasn't sold on him. Anyway, I think if Gibbs does this, it's not a great move.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:26 am:   

I think you're right about Gibbs not having much time. All the palaver about him being Beltway Danny's idol and how DS would give Gibbs all the time he needed is just such nonsense. If Gibbs comes out and has a 6-10 or 7-9 season, just watch how quickly the columnists will start wondering if Gibbs still has what it takes and how quickly BDS will start offering his "help" in personnel matters.

I also question the wisdom of ransacking the defense (the heart of any championship contender) to get Brunell. Mark Brunell behind a shaky o-line, with no a-list running back to control the game, no TE and only Laverneus Coles to throw to? Not too good of a sich for old Mark.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:53 am:   

Plus which. Gibbs can't be thinking real long term under any situation, being 68. As for Bailey, he had a down year, but that's at least partly because there was no consistent pass rush. They need him...so I hope they let his ass go. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   

Nothing particular against Gibbs, but in my world, Danny Snyder can never, ever, ever win. When he hoists the Lombardi, that's the end for me and football.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   

Well, don't get too upset. Worse guys than Snyder have lifted the trophy. I think you can rest easy this year. The Skins don't have the personnel to win the SB. They need a great running back, help on D, and a good tight end. I doubt they can do that in one draft and even i they can, it'll take those new player s awhile to grow.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   

I'll take a valium and try to calm down. :-)

Maybe worse folks have hoisted the trophy (who are you describing, I wonder?), but I think we have yet to see the worst of Beltway Danny's outrages against Redskin fandom.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   

Maybe, but as a Giant fan, that should be a joy to you....

In the meantime, considering what he has in mind, I'm beginning to view the second Gibbs era as a happy occasion.

paulw
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   

I agree, unfortunately. I also agree it would be a huge mistake to let either Ramsay or Bailey go. Frankly, I've always felt that Bailey was way overrated . . . but that doesn't change the fact that he is the best they've got, by a long shot. A lot of this is salary cap stuff, but I think going after Brunell is a mistake for a number of reasons, not least of which is that it puts players like Bailey out of reach financially.

I was there for the Over The Hill Gang. I don't want to see a repeat of those days!

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:39 am:   

Hey, I hear Boomer Esiason is willing to entertain offers...:-)

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:03 am:   

Story in the paper today: Brunell deal is all but done and should be announced in a few days.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

Yup. This could be known as the Under the Hill Gang. Can't say I'm in tears, but with Brunell, no Ramsay or Bailey, it's gonna be rough ride.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   

I don't know. At 34, Brunell probably only has a couple of good years left. And it is very interesting that, as the Post reported, not one other team made him an offer. Could they know something the Skins don't? (Hey, it happened before...remember Deion and his gimpy leg?)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:06 pm:   

I think Gibbs knows he only has a couple of years to do his thing, and that's why he did this, but he's really hurting the franchise and no way he wins the SB in two-three years. I give Brunell four weeks before he receives a serious injury....

paulw
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:22 am:   

But you know, the other side of the coin is that perhaps Gibbs knows something about Ramsay that we don't . . .

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:40 am:   

Yeah, well....here's what I know. He's tough as nails, has a cannon for an arm, shows steady improvement despite getting killed last year, appears intelligent and quick at his reads. His big flaw is that last year he hung onto the ball too long, but then "too long" is a term that's relative when you're talking about the Redskins' OL. I;m not sure what Joe could know that would trump what I know. Maybe Ramsay's not a Christian.

paulw
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   

I agree . . . except he never did come back into the lineup last year. That was, what, four to six games there at the end of the season that he sat out. Why? Physical problem? Mental? I don't know.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   

Maybe Spurrier had mercy, knew he needed to get the guy an OL or he'd fuck up the learning curve....

Beats me, but I'd take him on my team.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:04 pm:   

Well, who needs a young, strong kid like Ramsay behind that O line when you've got a stout, sturdy iron man like Brunell? :-)

Maybe Gibbs has an inside line on a miracle that we don't know about...

paulw
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:04 pm:   

don't get me wrong -- I like Ramsay a lot. I want to see him as the starter. I was also pretty impressed with his back-up, the younger Hasselbeck. I would worry about beefing up the offensive line before I worried about changing who was standing behind it.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 08:04 am:   

Did I mention that Hasselbeck went to Boston College, or as I like to call it, "the Cradle of Quarterbacks"?

paulw
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:31 am:   

Well, it's all moot now, with the 7-year contract announced today. An "open competition" for QB, supposedly. Sure . . . And I got some democracy in Iraq to sell ya . . .

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   

Somehow, I don't think Danny Snyder is going to risk alienating the co-host of television's "The View" by cutting her hubby...I mean, Joe Gibbs is one thing, but BARBARA WALTERS????? :-)

paulw
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   

The plot thickens:

Running back Clinton Portis agreed to an eight-year, $50.5 million contract with the Washington Redskins on Monday, all but sealing a trade that would send cornerback Champ Bailey to the Denver Broncos.

Bailey for Portis . . . A gamble, to say the least, but an interesting one. Still, all this new offensive power won't mean a damn thing if the defense is worse than it was last year.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   

Paul: We're getting down to zero hour now. We finally get to see if "the King" has the answers!

paulw
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 03:04 pm:   

Yep -- it's gonna be interesting!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 05:27 am:   

Joe blows! Watching the sidelines, I had to Grumpy Old Men. Sportswriters are saying he'll get it straightened out, but I don't know...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

I meant to say, Flashbacks to Grunpy Old Men.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:07 am:   

I think the jury is still out on the overall quality of the team and the coaching, but JG did commit some gaffes Monday night, squandering time outs on at least one ill-conceived challenge. The Wash Post is already running big stories on bad clock management, which means the honeymoon may, in fact, be over already. And the public whinging about bad calls was bad, crybaby form. The pass interference call against the Skins that led to the first Dallas TD was certainly the correct call.

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 01:25 pm:   

Even I admit I'm disappointed in Joe's clock management. There were a couple of moments, especially in the giants game, when he had a kind of deer-in-the-headlights look. On the other hand, there's no question in my mind that this is a better-coached team than any since, well, Gibbs' last tenure. So I'm hanging in there for now.

paulw
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:48 am:   

Did I actually write "better-coached team"? Sheesh. Looks like another looooong season.

Dave, your team is looking good, improving every week. A strange but highly entertaining game on Sunday against the Pack!

Minz
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:31 am:   

I dunno if it was all that entertaining. :-)

paulw
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:38 am:   

Not for my cheese-head brother-in-law, either!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:11 am:   

Of course, living in the Destruct of Columbia, I didn't get to see the Giants game. :-( I watched only the tail end of Skins-Browns, with Laverneous [sp?] Coles' questionable fumble being unreviewable b/c the Skins had already used up their time-outs.

I tell you, people are starting to grumble that the King is dropping the ball. Wilbon had a big "here we go again" column in the sports page today. Although he soft-pedalled his criticism by slamming the "culture of losing" Gibbs inherited, it is clear that the clock is now ticking. Gibbs had better notch some "W"s in a hurry or Beltway Danny will start looking for a younger, prettier thing to hustle in the back door at Redskin Park.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:15 am:   

And the 2-1 (soon to be 3-1) Ravens next week. Uh oh.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration