At the Molehills of Madness Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Rhys » At the Molehills of Madness « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 04:03 am:   

Coming next year:

A retrospective of my horror stories from 1991 to 2003, in other words from my earliest forays into publishing until quite recently.

AT THE MOLEHILLS OF MADNESS will be published by Pendragon Press and will therefore be rather a rare beast a book of mine actually published in Wales!

Most of my work has never been horror but I have occasionally dabbled in the odd horror tale. Over the years I have produced enough horror tales for this one collection. This will almost certainly be my *first and last horror book*.

With the exception of a few tales that have found their way into other collections, AT THE MOLEHILLS OF MADNESS gathers together my darkest, most twisted stories. Do not expect gentleness, sanity or good taste! These stories are the products of the most disturbing region of my psyche. I think.

So far the contents have been set as follows:

The Fury Machine (1991)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Dirigible (1992)
Cutting Back (1992)
The Cat (1992)
The Smile Inside (1992)
Lunette (1992)
Necessity is the Mother (1992)
A Length of Rope (1993)
The Seed of the Damned (1993)
A Family Resemblance (1993)
Rancid Kumquats are Not the Only Fruit (1993)
Six Characters in Search of an Executioner (1994)
The Swiss Family Abacus (1995)
The Second Picture (1995)
Madonna Park (1995)
The Death of Ganymede (1997)
The Skull Farmers (1997)
The Crippled Gollywog's Fox Hunt (1997)
Crash With Shopping Trolleys (1997)
The Business Flight (1997)
The Sound of Music in Hell (1998)
The Century Just Gone (2000)
Sailing to the Island of Tools on the Ship of Fools (2002)
The Decay of the Pilgrim (2003)

This may be adjusted before the book is eventually issued. Regular updates will be posted here, but the publisher has suggested June 2006 as a possible date for publication.

des
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 04:47 am:   

Rhys, pity there won't be any more as you are one of the greatest living horror writers.
des

mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 05:23 am:   

Just let me know where to send my money!

Ronan
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:03 am:   

Great news Rhys!

But come on! If "A Rape Of Knots", "Mah Jong Breath", or most of the content of "The Smell of Telescopes" is not horror it is bloody well imitated!

Dflewis
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 08:11 am:   

Just remembered the following review I wrote about Worming The Harpy and Other Bitter Pills by Rhys Hughes (published by Tartarus Press), a review that appeared in the then prestigious American magazine Deathrealm in 1996:

"These stories are essentially literature in its purest form - wonderfully rumbustious, humorous, word-magical fantasies, liberally peppered with honest-to-goodness horror. They remind me of Lord Dunsany, John Barth, Jorge Luis Borges, Jack Vance, involving the fabulous traditions of surrealism, fairy stories and piquant wit. They strike me of the feeling one would have upon entering a treasure trove of a bookshop and discovering for the first time works that had been written in some ancient future, a future impossible to believe ever possessing the antecedence of a present let alone of a past. Rhys Hughes' book is one that I had dreamed of reading but never thought I'd be so lucky ever to do so in real life."

Ironically, one of my genuinely favourite examples of Rhys Hughes' prose is an essay from 2000 about a 1993 chapbook of mine:
http://tinyurl.com/etnog
Long lost Hughes prose that is brilliant.

Rhys Hughes has three stories in the Nemonymous canon: All For Nothing, Climbing The Tallest Tree In The World, The Small Miracle.

Dflewis
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:15 am:   

More Rhys Hughes links here:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2006/05/rhys-hughes.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration