What's going on? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Rhys » What's going on? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   

Rhys, it's been too long since I've had a fix! I'm curious as to what books are on the horizon, what have dropped off it, and when we might expect to see any of them. From my memory, these are the books that you were working on (or maybe joked about working on, in a couple instances) over the past year or so:

Brand Old Universal Futurology of Infamy
A Robert E. Howard pastiche
The Clown of the New Eternities
The Mermaid of Curitiba (if this is The Mermaid Variations thing, will we ever see it in its original English form?)
My Cholesterol Socks
The Sky Saw

Any chance of any of these, or anything else of yours, being released in the forseeable future?

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   

Oh, and I think I also recall hearing about a Milkwood sequel. . .

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:33 am:   

Thanks Mastadge!

Let's see...

The Mermaid of Curitiba is finished and has been sent to publishers in Portugal (who are definitely interested), France and Greece. Yes, this is the Mermaid Variations thing... The book will never be published in English but the individual 'chapters' may be. For example, I've recently sold two 'chapters' for a future edition of PS Publishing's POSTSCRIPTS magazine.

PS are also currently considering my Engelbrecht Again! novel. Fingers crossed...

My one and only genuine horror collection, At the Molehills of Madness, is finished and ready to be submitted to a publisher.

I'm currently working on Bone Idle in the Charnel House, a potential new Tartarus collection. But this may not be ready for a year or longer.

I've nearly finished writing The Clown of the New Eternities. I need to clean it up. The moment I'm completely happy with it, I'm going to send it to Night Shade.

I'm also forging ahead with My Cholesterol Socks. This might be ready by the end of 2005. I can't say for sure.

A Brand Old Universal Futurology of Infamy is still in the early stages. But I have written some of it and planned a fair bit of the rest.

The Robert E. Howard pastiche, Taurus of Nemedia, exists only as a concept in my head at the moment. The same holds true for The Sky Saw, which I never intended to begin work on until I was 40 anyway!

I have lots of other projects planned. A strange Western called Fists of Fleece... A novel about a war between submarine museums called Wuthering Depths... Another novel called Djinn Septic (this one is about a ship in the shape of a blood clot travelling to the Heart of Darkness to cause a heart attack so that Darkness will be vanquished -- I need to travel in Africa before starting work)...

I am currently writing several stories and essays not intended for books: a Jerry Cornelius story set in Wales entitled 'The Rhondda Rendezvous'... A story about what happens when Conan and Sherlock Holmes exchange roles called 'The Baker Street Cimmerian' (Conan solves crimes with the aid of an axe)... A Jules Verne parody called 'Five Weeks in a Toy Balloon' (which makes reference to every Verne novel ever published)... and a few other bits and pieces!

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:37 am:   

Whoops! Forgot...

About the sequel to Nowhere Near Milk Wood... I have recently completed a sequel to the 'Taller Stories' section called 'More Taller Stories' and I'm planning a final section called 'Last Taller Stories'... I've also finished a prequel to 'The Long Chin of the Law' called 'Flecks from the Isle of Chrome'... But more work needs to be done on this particular cycle.

Oh yes, and A New Universal History of Infamy is going to be published in a Portuguese translation later this year...

steve r
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

In other words, you've been lazing around again...

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:35 am:   

Well I've barely done any writing since April 19th, when my girlfriend left me...

I don't actually have much stuff coming out this year. Worming the Harpy is due to be republished at the end of 2005. I have my Portuguese book. A few short stories in a few anthologies.

Next year may prove to be more fruitful!

Rhys
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 06:31 am:   

Here is one of my stories as an audio file. I'm delighted with the way it has been read!

http://cimm.f2g.net/audio.html

The story in question is 'Final Demand', the first part of a three part sequence called *Flecks From the Isle of Chrome* which in itself is one part of my ISLE OF CHROME project.

neil a
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 03:33 am:   

There's a new review of the Minotaur in Pamplona on Infinity Plus:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/minotaurinpamplona.htm

Rhys
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 09:23 am:   

Next week I will be attending the FORUM FANTASTICO in Lisbon, Portugal. As well as giving a lecture and a reading, I will be meeting my Portuguese publishers and helping to promote my forthcoming book.

This is the website address of the publishing house in question:

http://www.livrosdeareia.com/info.htm

I am looking forward to leaving the British weather behind (even though Portugal won't be much warmer at this time of year!)

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:02 am:   

Here's my interview with the big Portuguese national newspaper 'Expresso' that came out a few days ago:

expresso

D
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

Rhys' story 'The Candid Slyness of Scurrility Forepaws' is in the latest Whispers available on Project Pulp (http://projectpulp.com/item_detail.asp?bookID=1135019161) or www.ookami.co.uk

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:14 am:   

Lots of things have happened to me recently... but I haven't been anywhere or done much. This is a paradox. I need to go away and think about what is my favourite paradox of all time. Probably one of Zeno's. 'Achilles and the Tortoise' maybe, the one in which Achilles can never outrun a tortoise if the tortoise has a headstart (however small).

In a race against a tortoise, I now feel confident I would win. A few weeks ago I probably would have lost. This is because I have only recently been back on my feet. A leg infection led to a week in hospital and two operations. One operation cut the infection out of my leg and left a big circular hole, the other stripped a perfect square of skin off my thigh and grafted it over the wound. I now have a leg that looks like something from Play School -- with a square window and a round window. Thank goodness I don't have an arched window to complete the set!

A great start to the New Year! Humph!!!!!!

Staying in hospital was a bizarre experience, a real eye opener in many ways. It was the first time I've ever had general anaesthetic and I still can't quite get over the oddness of that. I'm just glad to be out and about now, though my fitness has certainly suffered. Will I ever get back to running and cycling again? I intend to do my best to recover and even exceed my former fitness levels.

It is also imperative that I plan a new foreign adventure. When I returned from Portugal my finances were in very poor shape. My travel fund had gone back down to zero. Now I want to build it back up and to this end I am pleased to announce the sale of two novellas (via my agent) to PS Publishing. 'Flecks From the Isle of Chrome' and 'The Crystal Cosmos' have just earned me 550 and this sum is going instantly into my new travel fund. I am delighted with this sale and delighted with the novellas in question.

As for new writing: I am currently concentrating on finishing my book of linked realistic stories, MY CHOLESTEROL SOCKS. I have written 11 chapters (out of 16) and hope to complete this project before the end of March. I also have a few short stories to complete which have been promised to the editors of various forthcoming anthologies.

Meanwhile... the website www.myheritage.com allows people to upload photographs of themselves and (using face recognition technology) discover which celebrities they most resemble. The results for my own visage include: Milan Kundera, Werner Herzog, Anthony Hopkins and Renee Zellweger!

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:01 am:   

Rhys,

May I suggest writing stories titled after the recent flurry of misguided spam topics on this board of yours? When life gives you gators, make gatorade, as they say.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:20 am:   

Jamie, I entirely agree with you. That's my philosophy entirely! I'm a bit overworked at the moment unfortunately (in writing terms at least!)

Lately, I've been writing like a... whatever writes a lot!

Almost one year after I started it, my new book is finally finished!

MY CHOLESTEROL SOCKS is a collection of 16 linked stories that also work like chapters in a novel. This book is a big departure for me -- realistic stories with no fantasy element and no impossibilities. Some scenes are absurdist in nature, but it is only the absurdity of everyday life. I am very pleased with this project. It has been written specifically for a Welsh publisher, Parthian Books.

The main character in the stories, Rhodri, is partly (not entirely) based on me. He has all my faults and few of my (supposed) virtues... Most situations he gets tangled up in are autobiographical or semi-autobiographical, and the people and locations that surround him are (for the most part) entirely real.

The contents page is as follows:

(1) Betrayal
(2) Explosion
(3) The Homemade Hookah
(4) Scything for Girls
(5) Errata of Our Quiet Desperation
(6) Dunces and Dragons
(7) The Ski Slope
(8) Bless my Cholesterol Socks
(9) In the Sink
(10) Clouds over Tunetown
(11) Envy
(12) Twenty Six Broken Hearts
(13) Last Thursday
(14) Suicide: a Beginner's Guide
(15) Bald Men in a Shampoo Warehouse
(16) Vanishing

Most of these pieces were written in a state of angst following the loss of my two favourite girlfriends, Lowri and Anahita, one after the other. Therefore it is spiritually dedicated to them. Heartbreak is a favourite tool of the muses...

If the publishers like this book and it proves successful, there may be sequels... I am already toying with the idea of writing a trilogy (THE UNFEASIBLE FOOTWEAR TRILOGY) made up of two further volumes entitled YOUR SATURATED STOCKINGS and OUR MALIGNANT SLIPPERS...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration