My Muses Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Rhys » My Muses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 03:47 am:   

As I now seem to find it hard to write anything unless I am writing for somebody -- and easy to write when I am! -- I thought it would be nice to dedicate a thread to the people I have written for...

My muses, so to speak!

Two of my books (STORIES FROM A LOST ANTHOLOGY and A NEW UNIVERSAL HISTORY OF INFAMY) were dedicated to the following lady:

Eber Marcela Soler

She is also a main character in the three stories of my *Don Entrerrosca* cycle -- 'The Lute and the Lamp', 'The Toes of the Sun' and 'The Promised Lanyrinth'... And she is also the subject of one of my entries in the THACKERY LAMBSHEAD anthology!

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 03:53 am:   

The following lady is the main character in my story 'The Mermaid of Curitiba' and also in a story I am currently working on -- 'Lovespoons in Peril' (which I am writing for Kevin Donihe's *walrus* anthology):

Caroline Moreira

I also intend to dedicate a future book to her!

steve r
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:47 am:   

Gosh, they'd inspire me, too!

Rhys
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:20 am:   

I may also include photos of places and other inanimate things (such as puppets and fruit) if they have proved to be inspirational enough to help create a story...

Isa
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

¡You have put the horns to me! ¡You have other women!

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:11 am:   

The youngish lad below is the fellow to whom I dedicated the *Surplus Parodies* section of my recent book A NEW UNIVERSAL HISTORY OF INFAMY...

The young lady is the person to whom I dedicated the *Unwise Appendix* section of the same book (limited edition only). She is also a main character in a story I am currently working on called 'Early Morning Chocolate in Madrid'...

Steve Redwood & Isabel Iglesias Valino

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:14 am:   

Hmmm... they came out rather large!

The following picture shows Kelvin the Glove Puppet -- a widely travelled soft toy -- who is going to feature in a forthcoming story called 'Canis Raver' -- about a travelling glove puppet who likes to go raving...

Kelvin the Glove Puppet

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:15 am:   

And here he is after a night of raving...

Kelvin on Drugs

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:53 am:   

One of my biggest muses has always been... my feet!

They have taken me further than almost anything else I've been closely involved with -- even when sunburned in stripes from wearing sandals!

myfeet

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 02:55 am:   

Another source of inspiration (chiefly for my story 'Pity the Pendulum')... is Toledo!

toledo

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:44 am:   

Butrint in Albania...

butrint

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:45 am:   

The Dolomites...

dolomites

How self indulgent is all this?

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:46 am:   

Faces and/or Venn diagrams...

faces or venn diagrams

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:34 am:   

Interesting. My writing seems to come in spurts, but generally not dedicated to anyone else. Maybe I should give that a try.

I just wanted to say that while I haven't been able to get a hold of your stuff around here (and may well have to break down and order it online, which I hate to do... local bookstores wither and fall as it is) the story you have in Fantastic Metropolis was excellent, and has inspired me to find and read Richardson.

Holger
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:37 pm:   

Aye, and not to mention the out of print stuff!!

Ladies & Gentlemen @Nightshade Books: how about the "Complete Collected Writings Of Mr. Rhys Hughes"??

@ Rhys: would you consider to let the music of NAERVAER (on their superb "Skiftninger" CD album) inspire you to write a story?

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:32 am:   

Matthew: what did you think of Richardson? The Exploits of Engelbrecht is still one of my favourite fantasy books.

Holger: oh yes, music! That is absolutely one of my biggest inspirations. I'm always keen to hear new stuff. Having just read an online interview with Naervaer I'm now intrigued to listen to them!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   

I really enjoy Naervaer. Very odd stuff. Their label has one mp3 you could download
http://www.prophecyproductions.de/mp3/naervaer_en_som.mp3

Finding their CD in a store, but you should be able to get it at http://www.grau.cd/

Luis
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:28 pm:   

Hey Matt,

I have a few spare copies of Rhys' _Nowhere Near Milkwood_ lying around. If he doesn't mind me botching up a sale, I'll mail one to you this week or the next.

Best,
Luís

Matthew Rossi
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:22 pm:   

Rhys - The one Richardson story I was able to download off the Savoy site was excellent and inspired a small riff on the man in my blog. I may try and increase the weirdness in my forever novel to try and pay homage to him.

Luis - I want the book, but let me try and buy it first.

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:51 am:   

Luis: whoops! Your presence here has reminded me that I've forgotten to send Safaa the book I promised her. Pass on my apologies, will you? I'll post it right away...

How is Lisboa getting along without me??? :-)

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 07:17 am:   

I am often inspired by the work of the artists who illustrate my work!

This drawing of a vampire aardvark was created by Carole Humphreys for my poem 'Snoutferatu' from my poetry chapbook In Praise of Ridicule.

More of Carole's illustrations from that collection will be soon be posted on my *In Praise of Ridicule* thread...

Snoutferatu

Luis
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:31 pm:   

Hi Rhys: Lisboa is inconsolable. Some of the historical landmarks even tried to follow you as you returned to Wales, but, fortunately for us, they kept getting lost. You see, they used themselves as references, and got disoriented by their constantly incorrect placement on city maps. Due to their nature, some monuments can be as dumb as thousands of bricks.

Safaa is away in Lebanon at the moment, so it's better if you wait until September when she returns. I'll let her know the book is delayed.

Loved the vampiric aardvark, very nice indeed!

And Matt, just e-mail me your address. It's a Prime book, and I get loads of those for my designs, so it's really no trouble.

Cheers,
Luís

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration