Orejitas, Viaje Grande -- (Little Ear... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Rhys » Orejitas, Viaje Grande -- (Little Ears, Big Voyage!) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 07:55 am:   

My job contract has just come to an end and I have no new job arranged... Thus it seems to me that I might as well spend my remaining money in countries other than Wales!

This is the thread where I hope to post regular messages about where I am -- when I get there!

Where I'm actually going, I can't yet say for sure. The plan is Spain first, followed by Morocco and then Portugal. I definitely have to be in Portugal on May 7th -- to deliver a reading at the University of Lisbon (an opportunity provided to me by the wonderful Luis Rodrigues.)

With luck I may be flying down to Brazil later in the year -- hopefully to do some voluntary development work (something I also hope to do in Morocco)... However, knowing me as I do, I won't be too surprised if I end up in Finland or Syria or anywhere else instead!

If I can get the hang of posting images here, I'll also try to display any photos I take!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   

I'm doing something similar soon. I figured it was time to see a bit more of the world, even if it's only more former English colonies. I head to New Zealand first, then Australia. Then, I'm not sure, it may depend on what happens between now and then.

I hope you have fun with the travel.

Rhys
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:50 am:   

Robert: cool! Have a great time in the antipodes!

I believe I've finally worked out how to post images! Here's a test image:

dublin

If that worked, it should show me in the sky-bar of the Guinness Brewery in Dublin last November -- where supposedly the best Pint o' G in the world is served (such fine gradations are beyond my blasted taste buds!)... If it didn't work, then it won't!

Rhys
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:52 am:   

Jeepers! It worked but... what a huge image! I was expecting something smaller!

Brendan
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:23 am:   

Cool. You are drinking two beers.

Well, if your journeys take you through Northern Italy or the southern most tip of Switzerland, look me up and I will take you to one of the local watering holes.......

Rhys
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:34 am:   

Don't tempt me, Brendan! I love Northern Italy... but I need southern things right now -- sunlight and beaches, for example!

Brendan
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:46 am:   

Yes, sunlight and beaches are good. Here it is mountains and lakes. I myself would not mind slipping down to Greece....

cathy
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:48 am:   

well have fun Rhys, and play hard, you deserve it!

Shas
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:59 am:   

Rhys
This is exciting - on both sides of Mediterranean & then the possible hop over to Brasil. Enjoy all the sunshine.

Will we see you with madeira & what ever the other two have to offer by way of drink or is a snap with a rodeiro on cards? Morocco's Fez used to be a centre of learning once... though the term is more commonly used to refer to a style of cap with tassles. May be with that?

Does this site display time according to viewers local time? Otherwise all you folk seem to be active late nights & pre-dawn

red steve
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:20 am:   

That's a serious drinker!

Bob Urell
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:48 am:   

Well, if you're headed to Brazil, it's only a short 18 hour flight to where I am! I'll put the coffee on!
By the way, your holding two beers in that image, if it were anyone else, might indicate that one belonged to the photographer. I bet they were both yours, huh?

Simon
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:39 am:   

Nice one, Rhys! Have fun chasing the senoritas... and on your return, should you be passing by Manchester, then feel free to visit the People's Republic of Swintonia (aka the district of Swinton & Pendlebury, City of Salford). My spare room awaits!

Nemonymous
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   

Have a great Masked Ball.
Remember the best joy is inexplicable joy.

Shas
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:29 pm:   

Ummm it sure seems to take a lot of time to get from some place in Wales to anywhere across the three continents ......

red steve
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:36 am:   

Ah, but if you'd read 'Owlbeast'in 'Stories from a Lost Anthology' (VERY strongly recommended)you'd know that rhys decided to reach the continent by WALKING UNDER the English (or French) Channel. Unfortunately, he caught a cold just after the tenth wreck (completely bereft of doubloons), but his kleenex weren't waterproof. He therefore tried to hitch a lift on the Chunnel train, but hadn't got enough money to buy a ticket. He promised to pay in metaphors instead, but the offer was bemused and refused. Last I heeard he had yoked 100 seahorses together and was galloping towards Calais, using a string of similes as reins...

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:40 am:   

Whoops! I've been very lax already. Sorry folks! But thanks to all you well-wishers. Your words have been most appreciated!

I've just arrived in Madrid. I caught the express train from Alicante through the relentlessly flat plains of La Mancha! Good to see Don Quixote´s old stamping ground but it really is a most uninspiring landscape!

I first paid my respects at the shrine in Atocha Station where the recent terrorist outrage took place. Extremely sad.

I'll be hitting the famous nightlife of Madrid tomorrow -- dancing until dawn followed by doughnuts dipped in chocolate -- but I´m having a quiet night in tonight. I'm staying with Steve Redwood ('Señor Bosque de Rojo'), who according to Jeff VanderMeer, Luis Rodrigues, Sean Wallace and others is really a pseudonym for myself! I hope to quash this rumour shortly with photographic evidence! He does exist as a separate entity, I swear!

Best wishes to you all!

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   

That's funny, here am in Steve Redwood's flat, but there's only me here1 And I found the key in my pocket... could those people be right, after all?

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   

Yes Rhys - You ARE Steve Redwood!

Bob Urell
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 03:12 pm:   

Yeah. Time to face facts, Rhys-Steve.

Rhys
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:58 am:   

No I'm not, honest! Would I ever write "here am" instead of "here I am"? I need a photo of the old fellah and myself together to prove my case, don't I? But the only photo I've taken so far is a curious one of a statue of Juan Peron!

The nightlife here really is good! I found paradise last night: after the bars and the tapas, the mythical Chocolatería San Ginés! Chocolate con churros before dawn -- quite simply the best chocolate I've ever had in my life!

brendan
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:27 am:   

Be careful with those churros! . . . They are tasty though...

steve r
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:36 am:   

Or would I ever write 'Juan Peron' instead of 'Juan Perón'? That proves I can't be Rhys, as I would never allow my accents to be choked in thick liquid chocolate, or churned in churlish churros.

Stuff
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:11 am:   

Personally, I won't be satisfied unless this steve r is pictured alongside rhys, both holding authentic birth certificates, clearly visible to the camera. It could be any random punter Mr Hughes drags to the side of the street...

Brendan
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:42 am:   

Come now . . . These days photos can be doctored, just like accent marks . . . churros and mirrors.

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:07 am:   

Damn, Madrid has some of the best food in the world. Eat a little pulpo a la gallega for me, Rhys, coated with paprika and laid over some potatoes, or even just some boquerones with bread. Enjoy the trip!

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   

Thanks Gabriel. Unfortunately I don't much care for octopus or anything with suckers for that matter... So if I do try some for you, I'm afraid you won't get the benefit!

Yesterday I went to the Parque del Retiro: a great place to take a good book. The 'holiday book' is a tricky concept in itself. I have an Amin Maalouf novel set in Granada and Fez for when I go down south to Andalucía and Morocco, but at the moment I'm toying with reading yet again Felipe's Alfau's Locos: a Comedy of Gestures which is set in and around Madrid. I can't seem to leave this book alone!

I chanced upon the Cuesta de Moyano -- basically an entire street given over to booksellers! If only I could read Spanish!

I finally saw Picasso's 'Guernica' in the marvellous Reina Sofía... Every bit as powerful as I hoped it would be!

Today I enjoyed the sun in the Casa de Campo. Apparently it's the place to go to see pandas, but they weren't there when I went!

I've been told by a madrileña that certain things are compulsory before I leave:

(1) Tying a white ribbon on one of the trees in the Parque del Retiro in order to be granted a wish,
(2) trying a pack of pipas or quicos from one of the chiringitos,
(3) Tossing a coin to La Cibeles,
(4) Finding a GANGA in el Rastro,
(5) Admiring some life performance en La Plaza Mayor,
(6) Visiting Goya or Velazques in the Prado, and Picasso and Miro in the Reina Sofía.

Apart from the Picasso I've done none of these yet, and I'm not even sure what some of them are, but I intend to do all of them if I can. We'll see!

Luís
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:22 pm:   

Sounds like fun, Rhys! I can't remember of anything you have to do in Lisbon before you leave, which is good in a way, because it takes the stress out of your visit!

Cheers,
Luís

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:41 am:   

How about meeting you, Luís? Surely that's one thing to do in Lisbon before I go? :-)

Actually I've been told that I have to ´climb to the head of Christ'. I'm assuming (and hoping) this refers to a statue?

I've decided to settle the question of whether I am Steve Redwood or not by getting him to talk to you on the telephone, probably within the next few days!

As for now, Wednesdays in Madrid is the day when lots of the museums and palaces are free, so I'll probably have a cultural afternoon! But I want to do the white ribbon thing too.

red steve
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:47 am:   

Damn it all - chocolate fingerprints all over my copy of Felipe Alfau!!
And I notice my teddy bear is lacking a white ribbon...
And I note he didn't mention another tradition - meeting a beautiful lady by the Madroño bear in Plaza del Sol.

Luís
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:49 am:   

Fortunately for Christ, it's a statue. The statue's not really in Lisbon, though, it's in Almada, across the Tagus: http://www.cristo-rei.com/

And how can we prove it's really Steve Redwood and not you talking with a funny voice? Or, again, some bloke you just picked off the streets? We need documentation to go with your claims!

Best,
Luís

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 04:55 pm:   

Thanks Luís! I checked out that link -- I never realised that Lisbon and Rio de Janeiro were the same place! How peculiar!

Bob Urell
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:08 pm:   

Okay, now you're just being silly, Rheve. It's not Lisbon that's Rio, it's London that's Valparaiso. Geez, your Steve-half would've known that....

shas
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:32 am:   

This thread bears one plausible proof of Steve & Rhys being two manifestations of the same being.

When I wondered where in the three potential continents a Welshman could disappear ...someone purporting to be Red Steve educates me on Rhys harnessing sea horses on the last stretch to Calais. Thats one real time account by one either seeing it all or possibly experiencing it all (even allowing for prior orientations from anthologies).....And Rhys does surface soon after that too on that side ....... how would he be so well aware of sub-terranean journeys real time unless one was the other.....Rhys could well have surfaced in Morrocco too...

Or may be I did get it wrong..... Its a pity Steve limits his supposedly mirror self's choice in the last 'must do' in Spain to meeting just one ('a'??) beautiful lady by the said Plaza. He would certainly have known better if one really was the other.... or is he the conscientious self of the other?

Luís
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:09 am:   

I have always said (and if I haven't, I'll start now) that Risbon de Janeiro is the perfect place for Steve Rhyshoods to visit in his travels.

Best,
Luís

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:21 am:   

It's high time I posted an image here. It ought to be a photograph, but I haven't developed my first roll of film yet, so it'll have to be a drawing!

I can't draw. Not at all. Therefore this is one of my very, very few drawings and absolutely my very first drawing ever made in Spain!

meercats de mayo

With apologies to Goya, I drew this for Jeff VanderMeer's 'Draw a Meercat' competition but I was too late to enter it!

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:25 am:   

Drat! Only part of the image came out. That's because I tried to reduce its size by shrinking it, but I must have made a mistake!

For the full version, look at Jeff's board here:

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/15/2100.html?1082800934

steve r
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:32 am:   

This is called cutting-edge art!
Er, Shaz - one beautiful lady PER DAY...So far, so good.

Luís
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:50 pm:   

Rhys, Steve: nice to have talked to you (both?) on the phone!

As for the rest of you, I can attest that Steve and Rhys have different voices, though of course that could mean nothing at all -- I will not be convinced until I see documental evidence!

Cheers,
Luís

Rhys
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 04:27 am:   

Thanks Luís! One of the great pleasures of typing on a Spanish keyboard is that it makes putting accents over letters very easy, so at long last I can call you Luís instead of Luis!

After 12 days in Madrid, it's time to move on! I'm going to Toledo now, then a few days spent hiking in the hills, then onwards to Trujillo and Cáceres, always heading west, until I reach the Portuguese border!

I'll DEFINITELY be in Lisbon on May 7th, have no fear of that! This very morning I finished writing my new 'Universal History' piece for the university reading. It's done! I'm very pleased with it -- 'Le Bouffant Terrible: Margaret Thatcher'. I'm going to try typing it up as fast as I can, so that I can e-mail it to you, so you´ll get a preview! I probably won't have access to a computer for another week, so it has to be done right now! This explains what I'll be doing this afternoon while other people are enjoying the sunshine! *Sigh*

Rogério Ribeiro
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 12:52 am:   

Well, Rhys, the Meeting is all prepared to be launched on Monday. We look forward to hear you on Friday.
Oh! And don't forget to bring Margaret along ;)

Rogério

Rhys
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 04:39 am:   

Lots of things to say. Never enough time!

After leaving Madrid I went to Toledo -- an amazing cityscape! Saw the El Grecos, walked around the Cathedral on my own early in the morning, bought an example of Toledo steel (a pocket knife), just strolled around the incredible streets getting lost. Stood outside the city and watched a violent storm over the spires and towers, huge hailstones clattering on the tiles. Astounding!

Then I walked out of the city and into the Montes de Toledo. A slight mistake, as it took a whole day of walking just to get into the foothills, but once I reached the village of San Pablo the mountains began. This was a weird experience, incredibly lonely, not a single other walker on any of the mountain paths. The only person I spoke to for almost five days was a goatherd who suddenly appeared down a steep slope with about a thousand goats, a veritable convoy of goats! While it was raining in the plain below, I got baked by the sun, turned bright red and my nose started to peel off. Luckily it turned out that I had another nose directly beneath my old one, a pink new nose! Maybe I've found the secret of eternal youth? I doubt it somehow!

Ended up getting lost in a series of remote Spanish villages and towns with seemingly no transport links to anywhere else. Getting to Cáceres proved much more difficult than I´d anticipated. But finally had my first spliff on the night train...

Now I'm in Portugal. Lisboa is a FANTASTIC city! Totally awesome. So exotic and crumbly and chilled out -- exactly my sort of place! The Alfama district has to be seen to be believed. People really do play guitars on balconies! Met lots of great people here, Luís Rodrigues and his friends. In two hours I'm off to the University to give my Borges-tribute reading. Slightly nervous but looking forward to it.

Best wishes to you all!

Luís
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:04 pm:   

Thank you, Rhys! It's been great to meet you finally! Have you told anyone who your "neighbours" downstairs are?

As for you people, you can listen to Rhys reading "Le Bouffant Terrible" here:

http://goblindegook.com/archives/2004/05/000296.php

(I don't know if Rogério plans to show the essay text online, but we'll let you know if that happens.)

All best -- and thanks again for everything, Rhys!
Luís

Luís
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   

Rhys and the belly dancer

Rhys
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:00 am:   

Thanks Luís! That Egyptian restaurant was a blast!

Very accurate drawing, by the way... Ever thought about going into book illustration?

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:28 pm:   

Glad to see you're having such a good time, Rhys!

Thought of you this past week, as I was in Buenos Aires and picked up a Spanish translation of Marcel Schwob's VIES IMAGINAIRES (IMAGINARY LIVES). Borges was a fan and the book apparently was one of the main inspirations for UNIVERSAL HISTORY OF INFAMY...

Luís
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:33 pm:   

Thanks, Rhys! I did take some liberties with the young lady's bosom. *Artistic* liberties, that is.

Thanks for the rec, Gabriel -- I have to hunt down that book myself. Do you know if it exists in English language?

Best,
Luís

steve redwood
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:42 am:   

THE REAL LOWDOWN ON RHYS HUGHES!
Yes, for those who believe he does nothing more than navel-gaze (not his own: those of Egyptian dancers in what Luís euphemisticaly calls a 'restaurant')go to www.ookami.co.uk
where in a SHOCKING INTERVIEW with myself he reveals hitherto unknown details about three-day peanut diets, comet-love-making, the date of his death, his plans to write the FILTHIEST novel ever, and other deliciae.

And for those (not in Britain) who still believe that I, as pure as the newly driven snow, am really he, as pure as last week's driven snow, buy The Heisenberg Mutation from
http://projectpulp.com/item_detail.asp?bookID=948369871
and ask yourselves whether the innocent and sweet stories therein could really have been written by the cruel author of INFAMY! (This is known in the trade as a cuckoo-plug. Well, he owes me a plug, the discarded calluses from his five-day mountain walk near Toledo (as well as some discarded IDEAS) having plugged up my bath.)

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 11:43 am:   

L - There's en English translation that I know of, but it's out of print and I've never actually seen it. Maybe it's available in Portuguese? I find that when I'm looking for older Continental weird fiction availability's better in Spanish translations than in English. On this trip, eg, I also picked up a Meyrink short story collection, a separate Schwob short story collection and a Gautier novel. (Not to mention a new translation of your countryman Pessoa's BOOK OF DISQUIET!) And in Mexico City a few months ago I found a Petrus Borel novel that doesn't appear to have been translated into English plus a collection of fantastic stories by Apollinaire. Frankly, if the original's in French or Italian I'd rather read it in Spanish anyway just because less is likely to be lost in translation going from one Romance language to another.

Luís
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 01:18 pm:   

Gabriel: yes, there's some Schwob in Portuguese language, including IMAGINARY LIVES. I never bother to check, I'm so used to not finding the books I want in translation! It may be out of print, but I'll contact the publisher directly if need be. Thanks!

Hope you enjoy the Pessoa. I love most of his work, except perhaps the more nostalgic stuff. Still good poetry, though.

Best,
Luís

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:02 am:   

My new 'Infamy' essay can be read at the Agony Column site here:

http://trashotron.com/agony/fiction/hughes-bouffant_terrible.htm

This is the piece I delivered to the convention at Lisbon University, thanks to the invitation extended to me by Luís Rodrigues.

I'm seriously thinking about making this essay the first of a new sequence of 'Infamy' pieces which will form a sequel to my 'New Universal History...'. It will be called A Brand Old Universal Futurology of Infamy... Apart from Thatcher, subjects for such a sequel may include: Luís Rodrigues himself, Enkidu (companion of Gilgamesh), two abstract qualities (Precision and Silence) and maybe even the notion of 'Sequels'...

Neil A
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:53 am:   

"Other people's silence, my own music. And work only in the mornings. For the rest of the day, the embrace of a passionate woman!"

Amen to that, Rhys!

This has probably been posted elsewhere:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/elizabeth.ercocklly/rhys.htm

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:25 am:   

Thanks Neil!

Actually by "my own music" I meant music of my choice, rather than music I've composed myself (I haven't composed any!)...

But sometimes it's nice to listen to other people's choices. That happened this morning when someone in the street started playing some nice songs on a radio -- I don't know if they were Portuguese or Brazilian songs, but it was good music!

I'm in Peniche at the moment, not far north of Lisbon. A great seaside town! I've just been for a walk to the tip of Cabo Carvoeiro where the views of the Ilha Berlenga far out to sea were amazing! I like it here. I walk along the beaches, drink Sagres beer and do very little else!

Jorge
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 11:44 am:   

Hum... either Rhys has a pair of lucky orejitas, or the drawing above is nothing but misleading publicity: the last time I went to Lisbon I saw nothing but ugly old ladies...

Shas
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:40 am:   

Jorge - Perhaps then you did not miss much... reminds one of grapes.................?

Luis - Tut, tut

An aside, no one to the defence of Portuguese (or was it Egyptian he means) belles? Where has gallantry & chivalry disappeared....!

Shas
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:43 am:   

Jorge - Perhaps then you did not miss much... reminds one of grapes.................?

Luis - Tut, tut (for the artistic bit) but the recorded preview was good show

An aside, no one to the defence of Portuguese (or was it Egyptian he means) belles? Where has gallantry & chivalry disappeared....!

Jorge
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:21 pm:   

Oh, there are plenty of portuguese beauties, Shas. Where I live, for instance, you just can't walk around for long without having a flock of them use your eyes as nesting caves. Plus loads of magnificent non-portuguese female bodies too (the recent ukrainian immigration brought with it tons of great blue eyes).

But in Lisbon...

That's a desert desguised as a city. Or at least was the last time I was there.

Luis
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:41 pm:   

And with Rhys out of town, all kinds of strangeness attempt to fill the void left in Swansea:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objectid=14229351&method=fu ll&siteid=50082&headline=jury-clears-giant--pink-fairy--of-sex-assault-name_page .html

(Copy and paste the link if it doesn't work.)

Best,
Luís

Luis
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:44 pm:   

Shas, what can I say, I draw what I see. :-)

Cheers,
Luís

steve r
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 05:47 am:   

Luís, if you mean 'draw' in the sense of irresistibly attract - well, lucky man!!

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 05:00 am:   

Hello everyone!

Well I've just finished a three day (and night!) beach walk from Figueira da Foz to Praia da Tocha and back.

I was planning on walking all the way to Vagueira, a total of about 70 KM, but I didn't take enough water with me and I eventually began to suffer from sunstroke, so I had to take a detour and knock on a door in the village of Quiaios and ask for water -- which was cheerfully given. I drank about 2 litres in one go and felt quite sick afterwards!

It was a difficult trek but the beach was amazing and the views at night were incredible! I slept under the stars with the whisper of the sea in my ears. But these romantic adventures aren't comfortable at all.

An appropriate quote from Byron on his own time in Portugal: "Comfort must not be expected by folks that go a-pleasuring!"

Anyway I've been pretty thoroughly baked by the sun. Something I have to keep doing, I guess!

I'm in Coimbra now, a great old university city. Very impressive! Portugal seems to specialise in hilly cities with lots of twisting alleyways full of mysterious little shops in which it is all too easy to get lost! Two days of coffee, cakes and beer and then on to Porto for... coffee, cakes and port!

Cacau
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:29 am:   

Hello traveller! This is a message leaft from your favorite character, now you only have to guess which one of those could that be...
Yeah, that´s the curly hair half woman half fish! Asking you to also enjoy the great wines they have there in Portugal. Don´t forget to make a special tost to our friendship. o.k.? Fondly, yours always mermaid Cacau*

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:18 am:   

Ola minha sereia!

I've already make a toast to you, minha querida amigona! But I'll make another one at sunset today. I'm going to the beach later and that's where I'll do it. One of the amazing things about Porto is that it's possible to catch a tram to the beach! I don't think I've ever done that before!

I'll also drink a toast to BRASIL! How is life down there? Even better than here, I bet!

S
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   

The last bit seems good fun.

Your pleasure walks otherwise seem a lot of hazardous hard work. May be, for a change, you ought to devote more time to sampling the grub & of course the wines and just depositing yourself at one place & drinking in the view. You may need the reserves to weather the hot air blasts in the next phase....

steve r
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   

All the ladies here are asking about you. One of them, Letizia, got fed up waiting and married the Prince instead. Any idea the date you'll pass through here again on way to the south? Another friend wants to come, he mentioned 26th, I'm trying to put him off (yes, HIM, dammit!) - but till when, more or less? I know you told me, but you know I have this brain damage...
Any fan letter from the Rusty Lady yet? (That other letter never arrived.)

Shas
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:03 am:   

Ah, Steve R, can we hear the real regret 'da## #t Rhys or the friend ... can only look forward to another HIM instead of the other HIM'?!! .......

steve r
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   

What's worse, the other 'him' is my landlord!

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 03:23 pm:   

Hi Shas! I'm thinking about taking your advice and giving up all walks, treks and physical activity in exchange for a life of pure pleasure involving food, wine, etc, but to be honest I need to alternate the frugal with the indulgent -- what better way to enjoy pleasure?

And now I've set my heart on learning to dive (in water, preferably the ocean!) which entails a certain level of physical fitness!

I'm back in Madrid now, city of late nights and chocolate! Porto was amazing, an incredible cityscape! Then I went into the most remote region of Portugal -- Tras-Os-Montes -- and found it quite hard to get out again!

Soon I'll be heading south to Andalucía! I'm so loking forward to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then it's Morocco and the Western Sahara...

Then I guess I ought to start thinking about Brazil and India!

Cacau*
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:07 am:   

Did I see Brazil written there Rhys? I´ll be looking forward to meet up with you personally again! Thanks for the tost you made by the way! I promess to do the same for you in return tonight. About Brazil been better than Europe, I am not quite sure about that. At least in south of Brazil, it´s been too cold lately. Yeah, yeah, yeah. We DO have winter as well! Amazed? ehehe hugs and kisses to U! your mermaid* Caroline*

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 05:12 am:   

Busy, busy Little Ears!

Done too many things to talk about coherently. And so many things to do before I leave for Córdoba on Monday... Yes I'm still in Madrid but not for long! Andalucía is beckoning! I just can't wait!

Went to Segovia, an amazing little city, even better in some ways than Toledo. Phenomenal aquaduct, exchanging looks with storks on roofs, cake market... The usual!!!!!!

I'm supposed to be going to Aranjuez tomorrow on a steam train but the truth is I'm a bit overdosed on 'sights'. Another cathedral, another old building... I've finally finished my first roll of film, so I'll try to get it developed today and scan one or two of the best ones in tomorrow or the day after (if any of them are any good). I've stopped taking photos of buildings, thank goodness!

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:19 am:   

Well I've just had my last night in Madrid -- for a month anyway! I have to say that this is great city, phenomenal, I love it!

I'm heading off to Córdoba in an hour or two... Then it's to Malaga to meet my lovely Catarina and away with her to Granada... which is a city I've always wanted to visit. Ecstatic!

steve r
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 10:29 am:   

About those peanuts you left hidden under the mattress...

Cacau
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 02:35 pm:   

Rhys, just wanted to live here my best wishes for your next trip, fondly, Carol

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:43 am:   

Thanks minha sereia! Córdoba was amazing! The Mezquita is absolutely the most beautiful building I've ever seen in my life... Very hot too! Temperature reached 43 degrees centigrade on the day I arrived!

I'm in Malaga at the moment. It's a bit cooler here. Just waiting, waiting, waiting to head off to Granada tomorrow!

I love Andalucía! At long last I feel I'm in the real España. The girls have huge loopy earrings and sit around fanning themselves. There are palm trees in the patios and orange trees in all the public squares. Everything is just right!

Cacau*
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:29 am:   

I imagine how excited you must be to finally head to Granada! Hoping you will have an amazing time there my dear traveller! Love, always, Caroline* (sua sereia)

Shas
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:39 am:   

Suggested heading 'The travels of the person (only one I know)who usurped the stork's right to come avisiting'... Ahem!

Sorry for sounding jaded, but could some one elighten us on what was the final (if feasible what started it) verdict on dual selfs? Luis (any one else also), if you have done with drawing ladies smack to yourself, could you enlighten? Why does the traveller gravitate back to Madrid (& vicinities)and there is hints of still more '--for (after) a month anyway'. Has it do with chocolates or need to salvage guises?

......I am impressed - the English appear to be privileged lot, Portuguese police bend rules to let them smoke pot, so long they do it peacefully. It sure takes will power to walk away from it all & the football or does it testify to loopy pulls of Granada or Welsh grit!

And Sir, does no photo bear reproduction?

El Rey
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:59 pm:   

...que no hay quellegar primero
pero hay que saber llegar

...ni nadie que me comprendra
pero sigo siendo el rey

Rhys
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:08 am:   

Sorry Shas! I've been rather disorganised with this thread and now too many things have happened to write about them coherently!

I loved Granada! I had one of the best times I've ever had while I was there... It was wonderful and I was lucky enough to share it with a special person! The Alhambra is almost too good for words. We actually drove up into the Sierra Nevada mountains for a snowball fight and then down to the beach for a swim (though we didn't actually go in!)... But that combination of snow followed by sand in the space of a few hours is really quite remarkable...

Morocco, however, proved to be a disaster! Having said that I do recall with awe my first night in Tangier and my hotel in the medina with the tower of the great mosque right outside my window!

Part one of my trip has effectively come to an end. I'm returning to wales for a short time and having a break before part two. I need to make arrangements for Brazil and India.

As for photos, I still hope to post some here. I still haven't got my first roll of film developed!

People have asked me what was the most amazing thing I saw during the past two months. I can't reveal my favourite (it involved cherries) but I can briefly list three stunning views: (a) standing on a cliff at dawn overlooking the enormous beach which stretches north from Figueria da Foz in Portugal and watching the sun rise over the sea, (b) the Mezquita in Cordoba, (c) the Alhambra viewed from a vantage point in the Albacin where the entire building could be seen...

Cacau_Ctba
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:17 am:   

"Cherries", han? Sounds really "excinting" to me... Looking foward to hear from you again! (missing you, my friend)big hug and kisses, Fondly, your mermaid Cacau*

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

Just a few photos at long last! I'm not very good at photography, so you'll have to forgive the fact that some of these images aren't very good!

isabel&me

This is my friend Isabel and myself sitting at a cafe in Madrid.

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:16 am:   

Blimey! That's a huge photo! How do I make them smaller so that they don't come out of the screen???

sandra&me

This is the famous photographer Sandra Sue and myself (and her dog Billy) at the Silla de Felipe II overlooking San Lorenzo.

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:18 am:   

Yes I know I look terrible in photos. Wait until you see the ones of me in Granada -- those are much nicer! I'm tanned, trim, almost handsome! Not here alas!

sandra&steve&me

This is Sandra, the talented writer Steve Redwood and myself at Del Escorial.

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:20 am:   

This is one of my favourite places in Spain -- the Chocolateria San Gines. The best drinking chocolate in the world!

sangines

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:21 am:   

This is me on the gigantic beach north of Figueria da Foz. There was nobody else there to take a photo of me, so I took a photo of my shadow waving to everybody!

beachwave

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:23 am:   

More photos soon! (hopefully not so big!)

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:43 am:   

Including the nicer ones from Granada!

Meanwhile, here is me in Segovia!

segovia

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:46 am:   

Jeepers I look rough!

Time for somebody else to have their mugshot on display! This is Luis Rodrigues -- resident genius behind Fantastic Metropolis.

luis

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:47 am:   

...and this is Lisbon University where I gave my reading. Seated at the table are (I believe) Luis Rodrigues and Rogerio Ribeiro, and somewhere in the audience is Luis Felipe da Silva and various other people. (Maybe Luis can identify them for me?)

lisbonuniversity

Luis
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:55 am:   

Now I know why people say I look fat!

Anyway, the napes in the front row belong to, from left to right, João Barreiros, Luís Filipe Silva and Luís Sequeira.

And check your mail for more photos, Rhys! Feel free to post them here if you like.

Cheers,
Luís

Luis
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:12 am:   

On second thought, I think that's João Ventura, not João Barreiros.

Rhys
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:18 am:   

...and here is me doing my reading at the university...

myreading

Rhys
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:20 am:   

Ooooh, that photo is a nice proper size! So here is another: me taking a photo of Luis while he was taking a photo of me (see image higher up!)

duellingcameras

Rhys
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:21 am:   

...and now the famous writer João Barreiros, Luis Rodrigues and me somewhere near Sintra...

threeamigos

Rhys
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:23 am:   

..and here is me in Sintra again!

sintra

Rhys
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:25 am:   

I can't show my favourite photograph -- which I took in Granada. But here is a censored version of it...

cherrygirl

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration