Mutis Alert !!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Rhys » Mutis Alert !!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   

Rhys: Just wanted to let you know, if you don't already that there is a translation of a Mutis coming out next month -- The Mansion & other stories. Someone (it might have been Bunuel) bet Mutis he couldn't write a gothic story set in the tropics.
Hope you're doing well.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 06:07 am:   

Thanks Jeff. I'm certainly interested in this news -- Mutis is one of my favourite writers!

Tropical gothic? Hmm, that's a tricky one. I've been told that the Brazilian/Uruguayan writer Horacio Quiroga does tropical gothic very well. Apparently his stories set in the hinterlands of the Jesuit missions around the Foz do Iguacu waterfalls are marvellous examples of that sub-genre! Do you know his work? I haven't managed to get hold of it yet,

I know for sure that Juan Rulfo was a master of hot and sunny gothic. PEDRO PARAMO is a wonderful novel, one of the best short novels ever written!

But thanks again! How are you, by the way?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration