Infamous praise Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Rhys » Infamous praise « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luis
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:28 am:   

Hi! The ARC of THE NEW UNIVERSAL HISTORY OF INFAMY came in the mail today. Looks awesome, and the snippets I read so far are delicious, I can't wait to devour it from cover to cover.

Congrats, and best of luck with it!

Cheers,
Luis

Rhys
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 04:22 am:   

Why thank you, good sir!

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:46 am:   

Hello, Rhys. I'm at an undisclosed location and had a chance to read about half of the ARC of TNUHOF - fantastic! I think this is your best work yet!! And one of the best pieces from anyone that I've read in a while. More, more!

Forrest

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:36 am:   

Thank you Forrest.

This makes it all worthwhile!

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:41 pm:   

Hmm. . .any idea when the History of Infamy or Engelbrecht, Again will be shipping?

Rhys
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:53 am:   

I'm not sure, but I think it'll be quite soon...

Well INFAMY should be soon at least. ENGELBRECHT might take another month or two.

Today I posted back the signature sheets for the limited edition of INFAMY, but I'm assuming that the normal paperback version can be published without having to wait for the limited.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:30 am:   

The first review I've seen of A NEW UNIVERSAL HISTORY... is up at the following site:

http://trashotron.com/agony/reviews/2004/hughes-history_of_infamy.htm

This review eschews the normal review approach -- very refreshing!

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   

Infamy should begin shipping next week.

Rhys
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:05 am:   

I'm pleased by what BOOKLIST has to say about my book:

From Booklist:
One deliciously peculiar book deserves another. Like its namesake, Jorge Luis Borges' Historia universal de la infamia (1935), Hughes' homage consists of seven elaborated biographies, one short story, and eight fragments, all fakes, from other writers' works. So intent is Hughes on aping Borges that he even includes two prefaces corresponding to those in the edition of Historia he owns. He deviates from schematic imitation only by including, in a pendant he urges Borges adulators to ignore, three stories that parody, respectively, Borges, British sf author John Sladek, and this book's reader parodying Hughes. OK, Hughes' statement of the last story's intent is tongue-in-cheek; nevertheless, it typifies the Borgesian wit, ever delighted to boggle the mind, that suffuses the book, rousing the same complex of amusement, horror, and awe that Historia evokes. Just as the biographies pique curiosity to know what in them is historically real, the stories play with the consistency of their own narrative realities, and the fragments concern changes in the states of aspects of reality. Everything here dazzles.

I wonder, however, why John Sladek is always described as a *British* writer??? I've always thought of him as one of the finest examples of the *American ironist* (a category which isn't supposed to exist but -- thankfully and hilariously -- does).

des
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:34 am:   

hey, Rhys, I just recalled you once mooted that this:-

Alone with a Longwinded Soul (D.F. Lewis)

would be in your Universal Infamy book.

Did this transpire?

Whatever the case, congratulations on the wonderful reviews so far.
des

steve r
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:43 am:   

A 'dazzling' review! Well done, young feller.

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:41 am:   

Des: sure enough, my book contains a D.F. Lewis story which wasn't written by you!!!!!! It wasn't an easy thing to do! It might transpire that I failed miserably to create a convincing Des Lewis pastiche: but I decided to have a go anyway!

Steve: one of the sections of Infamy is dedicated to you; another to Isabel. Have I already told you this?

des
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 07:29 am:   

Thanks, Rhys. I look forward to reading 'my' story!
Des

stev e r
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:23 am:   

Come on, Des, take up the challenge: now write a story as if you were Rhys!

Rhys, yes, you told me, and mightily honoured I am, too! (Well, of course, that might depend on which particular 'infamy' I am associated with...)I haven't told Izzy, I'll surprise her with the book itself. (She was delighted to be the first cloned human in my 'Sacrifice' story - remember 'Cimmplicity'? And its wide raqnge of story types? Alas, now, EVERY new mag seems to want only horror, though using euphemistic names. I wonder whether it's worth ever writing another story?)

des
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:43 am:   

Yeh, I will do that, Steve. I may put it in Nemo~4 (if the story's good enough - as long as nobody guesses it's by Rhys as they have with all three Rhys stories previously published in Nemo)!
Or should nobody = somebody? (scratches head).
des

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 09:00 am:   

*Sigh!* As I said elsewhere, I believe I am the least successful NEMO author ever... Every one of my attempts to be truly anonymous have failed. At least one person has always worked out my identity!

Which is why I haven't written or submitted anything for NEMO #4.

Or have I? (Ha, ha, ha -- he, he, he -- hi, hi, hi -- ho. ho, ho -- hu, hu hu!) *Laughs his Edgar Allan Poe laugh!*

Rhys
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 06:42 am:   

Infamy! Infamy! They haven't got it in for me...

Or if they have, where is it???

Neil A
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 08:26 am:   

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,1162642,00.html

Hi Rhys, thought you might be interested in the above link.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

An interview with me has just appeared on a website devoted to Welsh popular culture:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/elizabeth.ercocklly/rhys.htm

It's high time I started using another photograph, methinks!

By the way, thanks for that link Neil! I don't think I've ever been to Blaenavon. If I have, I don't remember it!

des
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:51 am:   

Interesting interview, Rhys.
And I don't think I knew your connections with Porthcawl before. I have a black and white photo of me as a kid standing in front of Helter Skelter in Porthcawl - eating a Candy Floss.

I now live in Clacton-on-Sea - the Essex version of Porthcawl?? And I am *half* Welsh with Llanelli connections...
des

red steve
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 01:05 pm:   

Rhys, I think that was your best interview yet - and lots of intelligent questions from your interlocutor, too.
Orhan Pamuk sounds Turkish to me. A new discovery?
Yes, that photo - far too much hair, if I may state my opinion baldly!!

red steve
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   

PS. What you said about a scientific background helping a writer. Usually true, though I would maintain a Humanities grad could be just as strict in their use of logic and form. Prob is, wanting to use a scientific idea without having teh scientific basis. I gave myself a stinking headache yesterday trying to understand Absolute Zero, and how to reach it - and the more I learned, the more a seemingly simple idea grew complex.You'd need an understanding, not only of gases, and laws of thermodynamics, but also of lasers and magnetism, and quantum mechanics, etc. Oof! I believe a writer should include in what they write maybe only a hundredth of what they know, because it is precisely that wide knowledge that allows them to choose exactly what is necessary, and not an iota more. Reading Calvino's Ancestors, it's absolutely clear that behind teh seemingly relaxed telling is a vast knoweledge. But up to my generation (things improved in some ways later) you were either arts or sciences. Damn it all! And trying to make short cuts is extremely dangerous. You are privileged, my dear felloe, and not only in the follicular department!
And yes I KNOW I should be out gallivanting....

Rhys
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 05:30 am:   

Des: the helter skelter! Yes I remember that thing! Coconut mats and friction burns! I'm sure that the *rotting fairground* ambience of Porthcawl had a big influence on the gothic side of my imagination!

Steve: I owe you a long e-mail I believe... But yes, I was delighted with the questions which the interviewer asked me. Orhan Pamuk is indeed Turkish. I recommend his novel THE BLACK BOOK. Amazing stuff! As for the superiority of science over the arts... just my opinion, of course, but science is superior! Anybody who doesn't like that is free to sue me -- that's why the courts are there -- take it to the judge!
:-)

Luís
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:18 am:   

Rhys, this is a wonderful interview. As for Science vs Art, I just think they're two (mostly) different things, like reason and the imagination, neither being superior to the other. And while they may sometimes seem at odds with each other, they are most powerful when combined, as Rhys and his writings are living proof of.

Cheers,
Luís

red steve
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:07 pm:   

Luís, you villainous, romantic, ocean-going guitaristical serenader, you! What have you done to my poor Cain and Mabel?

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:42 am:   

This is weird. Why do sentences that end with the word "of" remind me of puddings on fire? Just a personal thing, I guess!

sdteve r
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 04:42 am:   

Yep, no one else like that that I know of!

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 06:01 am:   

Another flaming pudding!

Luís
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:17 pm:   

It's a rare form of synaesthesia related to a possible childhood trauma involving a flaming pudding. A case for Dr. Lambshead, for sure, there's no better doctor I can think of!

Best,
Luís

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 01:31 am:   

Another pudding licked by the tongues of fire...!

It suddenly occurred to me why the word "of" creates that particular image in my mind. The letter 'o' is shaped like a pudding and the letter 'f' looks a little bit like a tongue of flame jumping up and curling around in a contrived wind!

Talking about Thackery, I actually received my copies yesterday! Utterly marvellous book! Even better than I expected (and I expected something out of the ordinary).

Luís
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:10 am:   

http://www.startribune.com/images/23/71443.html

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:25 am:   

I looked at that link and I heard a sentence ending with the word "of"...

Enough!

Luís
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:21 pm:   

Don't you mean, "En-of"?

Rhys
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:59 am:   

Creeping, creeping, creeping -- ever so slowly! -- toward my 1000th message. I always assumed I'd be happy when I finally got there... but will I?

Rhys
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

Yippeee! I just received two copies of INFAMY and I like it!

Yep, it looks good. And what a great introduction by John Clute! I'm particularly pleased with that!

des
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:10 am:   

Congratulations, Rhys!

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:37 am:   

I particularly like the bit where Clute wonders if I'm the "Balzac of the Fractal" -- or whether this is just "clown hubris" on my part.

Lots and lots of other great lines. It's such a quotable introduction! I'm delighted.

In fact I'm going to use my delight at Clute's piece about me to justify buying another book...

My New Year's Resolution was to stop buying new books (because I have such a backlog of unread tomes) but I'm going on holiday and I needed a special holiday book of course... So I bought Poul Anderson's THREE HEARTS AND THREE LIONS... But maybe to celebrate Clute's introduction I can allow myself to buy another holiday book.

I think I'll make it C.L Moore's BLACK GODS AND SCARLET DREAMS... Yes, I will.

Luís
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:50 am:   

Think about it, Rhys: those are not new books, they are old books. Surely it's okay to buy them after at least a couple of decades?

Congratulations on the Clute introduction, I look "foreword" to reading it!

Cheers,
Luís

Rhys
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 01:53 am:   

I shouldn't really say too much because negotiations are still ongoing... but with luck there may well be a Portuguese edition of INFAMY next year!

Rhys
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 05:51 am:   

And indeed these negotiations have progressed in a very satisfactory manner, and are continuing to progress...

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:31 am:   

Cheryl Morgan's Emerald City "best of 2004" list included ...INFAMY.

http://www.emcit.com/emcit113.shtml#Best

Jonathan K. Stephens
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

Hi Rhys,

Greetings and sincere felicitations! As chance would have it, I finished reading ‘A New Universal History of Infamy’ yesterday. It’s rare that I snicker and snort throughout a book, but this is one of those ‘rara avis’ that provoked continued, unchecked and unrestrained mirth. Having now (alas!) finished it, my life feels tortured and empty, with no apparent sequel on the horizon to brighten my hopes for a cheery future. Fortunately, I do have ‘The Darktree Wheel’ on hand to console myself, while I wait for ‘The Percolated Stars’ and ‘Nowhere Near Milkwood’ to arrive from Amazon. And speaking of the latter had I but known, I would have been happy to review it for you at Amazon. I don’t see the necessity of reading a book to review it; I’m sure most of the reviews posted there are done by this method. In fact, an enlightened individual may use this as a tool to gage popular interest before writing books to begin with!

Cheerily yours,

Jonathan

Rhys
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 09:20 am:   

Thanks Jonathan.

Ah yes, THE PERCOLATED STARS... I often think that's my best book. But the publisher is a total idiot, by far the worst publisher I've ever dealt with. I hope you have no difficulties getting it from Amazon: I know that other people who ordered it never received it.

I'm writing a sort of sequel to NEW UNIVERSAL HISTORY called 'A Brand Old Universal Futurology of Infamy'. I don't know how long it will take to complete, however.

JKS
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 05:10 pm:   

Hey Rhys!

Uh...heh...heh, he said nervously, mindful that the last thing an author wants to hear is that his book ain't reachin' the payin' customer;

I cannot tell a lie. I was wondering why my early January Amazon.com order wasn't shipping, did some checking, and my order (Including "NNM", yea!) shipped yesterday, um...after editing out a couple of books...ah...that should be available in...wait for it... April? Yes, I can tell I’m not surprising you; 'The Percolated Stars' was one of them. Sigh. But I have all the hope in the world; I will eventually get a copy!

But as for your other books, *phew*, they's some pricey! What we need is something like a trilogy of the past collections in one new book!

Optimistically yours,

Jonathan

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 07:25 am:   

Thanks Jonathan. I agree, those books are too expensive. Night Shade want to bring out a 'Best Of' -- which will include many stories from those three collections. But I do like your idea of a reasonably priced omnibus volume of all three.

Mind you, that three may shortly become four, as I'm close to completing another companion collection to my three Tartarus books.

FSP
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 08:05 am:   

What? Another $50 book in a 300 copy print run? I can't buy any more of these. Why don't you want more people to read your work?

JKS
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 03:36 pm:   

Omnibus! Yes that was the word for which I was so desperately grasping! But just out of sheer curiosity, would not an omnibus volume of your previous collections be what the SF Book Club usually wants to publish? You know, with little intros for each story - sort of a 'How Green Was My Valley' redux. And while I'm freely speculating, why not a handsome two volume limited edition of the Borges and your sequel (would also work for me with the Richardson and 'Engelbrecht, Again')?

Hopefully yours,

Jonathan

Rhys
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 05:27 am:   

Ah Jonathan... If only! I'll have to wait to see exactly what Night Shade wants. I've nearly finished a novel for them, so I suspect that will take priority over any story collections.

FSP: you are right, of course. Prices for my books are way too high. Looking for publishers who can produce quality books at lower prices is certainly something I need to do.

Bill B.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 09:36 am:   

There is always PublishAmerica... ;-P

JKS
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 03:35 pm:   

Ooh, a new novel! Do tell!

Excitedly yours,

Jonathan

mastadge
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   

Is it THE CLOWN OF THE NEW ETERNITIES, or something different?

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:20 am:   

That's the one, Mastadge!

Should be finished in a month or so...

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:39 am:   

My girlfriend drew this picture of me. I think it captures my essential orthogonality:

Me!

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 07:08 am:   

A publisher in Athens has approached me with the possibility of having INFAMY translated into Greek... I hope this happens! The Greek script just looks so amazing.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 07:08 am:   

Another review of INFAMY appeared the other day in the (very) small press magazine, Cambrensis.

I've scanned the review in and here it is. It's nothing special. But at least I'm finally achieving some attention in Wales, which has hitherto completely ignored me!

infamy review

Bob Urell
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 07:30 pm:   

Rhys, you dog, do you have any idea how long it took me to puzzle that out? Not that you'd probably intended anyone to actually read the thing.... I am surprised to know that you've not gotten much attention in Wales. I would have thought the opposite. What an odd thing.

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 03:08 am:   

Wales is an odd land...

It's true, I didn't intend anyone to actually read that review, but I would have felt icky if I hadn't posted it. I'm a completist, I guess, but a lazy one.

Luís
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   

There's a new review here:

http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/135

Rhys
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 02:48 am:   

Bom dia Luis!

Are you planning to hold a second Encontro Literario de Fantasia e Ficcao Cientifica this year?

Luís
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   

Hi Rhys! Yes, we are. It'll be in November --- will you be coming again this year? Hopefully _Uma nova história universal da infâmia_ will be out by then.

Cheers,
Luís

PS: I got your email, sorry that I haven't replied yet. Will do so tonight once I get home.

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 02:02 am:   

Bom dia Luis!

If it's in November, I might be able to make it. Yes indeed!

As guitarras pequenas conquistarão o mundo!

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 01:53 am:   

Cover for the Portuguese edition (due out at the end of this month):

nova historia

Rhys
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

And here is a photo of me being interviewed by the Brazilian journalist and TV presenter, Andréia Azevedo Soares.

carioca and me

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration