The Percolated Stars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Rhys » The Percolated Stars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

red steve
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   

Right! Now it's got its own thread, it HAS to come out. Some of us are suffering severely from too long a period of enforced sanity!

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:04 am:   

Funnily enough, I had a phone call from Darren Floyd (the publisher) late last night telling me that it has indeed come out at long last -- a mere nine months overdue!!!!!!!

So apparently it DOES exist now, though I haven't seen it...

I just hope it isn't ruined by typos and design mistakes (both of which are a speciality of the 'publisher' in question)!

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:08 am:   

Nine months, that's a full pregnancy. Did they inseminate a woman with your manuscript, Rhys, and waited for the finished book to come out?

Congratulations to the proud daddy!

Best,
Luís

steve red
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:57 am:   

HURRAH! More congrats to a proud (if rightly disgruntled) daddy. My Fisher took decades, but at least any typos are my own, and design is excellent. (What else can I say, with Luís listening in ¿¿) I hope your Spain-Portugal trip is still on, and you'll bring my copy? (Save me paying postage)
But it's a strange world, like Shrödinger's Cat - the book both exists and doesn't exist for ages. And as for marketing, my publisher hasn't even publicly confessed they've printed it yet. Not a word! And your Milkwood was finally mentioned on the Prime newsletter just two weeks ago! I suppose they simply don't want to make money...
However, Luís has made an interesting deduction - who was the woman with the womb in question?

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 07:13 am:   

I just got an e-mail from Amazon.co.uk saying it had taken too long to obtain the book and they'd cancelled my order. However, it's still listed in their catalogue so I just ordered it again.

Steve: Ordered your book, too, just last night. Looking forward to reading it.

Luis
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 07:26 am:   

Rhys: Yes, is your Spain-Portugal trip still on? Let me know, I look forward to meeting you! (And I'd be delighted to meet Steve too, should he care to join you!)

Mastadge: don't forget to look for secret messages in the cover! You will be well rewarded.

Best,
Luís

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 07:11 am:   

Luís, I read about that in your blog. I won't forget.

steve red
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 07:55 am:   

Hi; Mastadge, nice of you to order book - but don't go expecting Rhys-quality!
Alas, Luís, the secret message is invisible on the physical cover - perhaps it should be posted here, though of course that might put Rhys in the position of the young Elizabeth the First before she became Queen.

Signetophilist
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   

Oh no it isn't, not with a magnifying glass anyway. Dear me, the chap isn't that blubbery is he?

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 02:02 pm:   

Rhys: They didn't have it listed on Amazon over here, so I went through the UK one. I hope it's available now, especially as they took my credit card number. If it's half as good as Milkwood, I'll be a satisfied customer. Best of luck with it.

steve red
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 03:54 pm:   

Signetophilist (Signetophilist??) you're right, I put three pairs of glasses together and... treason is being plotted!

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 04:22 am:   

It's finally out!!!

I can scarcely believe it, but yesterday I went to the depot to pick it up and there it was!

At last! Five and a half years after starting to write it... two and a half after finishing it... two more years after selling it... and ten months after it was supposed to be published... it has arrived! It exists!

My first novel.

My eighth book, but only my first novel!

Two weeks before my birthday, thank goodness! I should really celebrate with coffee (in keeping with the theme of the book) but somehow I think I might opt for wine!

steve red
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

Percolated Rioja for you, old chap! Congrats! Our own thirst is about to be assuaged.

steve r
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:46 am:   

...said he! Is there anywhere I can get it without using a credit card (people as poor as me aren't given credit cards)? Or if I get a friend to buy it for me? Looked at Razorblade site, but so ancient, can't trust it...

Rhys
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:50 am:   

Hi Steve!

Apparently it should be in bookshops too, but I haven't seen it in any yet! I know that it has made its way into libraries around this country, but getting hold of it in Spanish bookstores might prove to be difficult...

Talking of Spanish things, I recently met a glorious *muchacha con el pelo rojo rizado*... which was nice!

But to return to the book: I'd be grateful to know if anybody has actually managed to obtain a copy...

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 12:06 pm:   

Hi Rhys. I ordered it from Amazon UK on 10/9, the heard a couple of weeks later that there was a delay in obtaining it and I haven't heard more since. But I checked my account and I now have a delivery estimate of next week. I'll keep you posted.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 02:31 pm:   

hey, rhys, i ordered a copy through amazon.co.uk and got it fairly swiftly.

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:12 am:   

I now received a message telling me it's been delayed another four to six weeks. I see some dealers are offering it on the amazon page so I think I'm just going to cancel the order and get it from one of them.

Rhys
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:31 am:   

Sorry about this Gabriel! I have no idea what's happening.

I've already grumbled about Darren Floyd, the publisher of this book, and I still feel negative towards him. I certainly don't recommend any other writer using him. He's much more hassle than he's worth.

Al W
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   

I've had my order postponed twice by Amazon UK. First for 1-2 weeks, and now from 4-6 weeks. Are you sure the book is in print?

steve r
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 03:16 pm:   

Just had a look at WH Smith data base. Wanderlusts is there(!) but Stars isn't. Can it be ordered direct from Razorblade?
Odd, I was feeling a trifle Welsh last night..

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:35 pm:   

al--

it is in print. i have a copy. i'm starting to feel like i'm special because i do though :-)

steve r
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 04:18 am:   

What's ben peek got what we aint got? Yes, that's right, the man's got percolated stars! and it aint fair!!

Bowen Mendenhall
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:27 pm:   

My goodness!

I went on amazon.com to check on this, and searched for "Percolated Stars". Nothing by Rhys came up, but apparently someone named RHUS Hughes has written a book of the same title! And published by RazorBlade, no less, in the same year and month as Rhys's. What an amazingly uncanny coincidence.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:47 pm:   

i've also got a really big telescope. it's shiny, too.

:-)

STEVE R
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 06:01 am:   

CAD! BOUNDER! SCOUNDREL!

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:25 pm:   

My copy came in today. I started enjoying it immensely, and then realized I had better put it away until I'm done with this semester's final exams.

steve r
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:59 am:   

I must be careful not to stir you up, you effervescent creature you, but, though Razorblade press itself seems unable to supply me with any Stars, percolated or not, THERE ARE THREE COPIES AVAILABLE IN A STORE IN SWEDEN, according to Steve Savile! It seems daft for it to arrive in Spain via Sweden, but the other alternative seems to be a quick trip to Easter Island to get a copy...

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:40 am:   

Steve: I do have a copy reserved for you. It is actually in my house!

steved r
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:16 am:   

NOW he tells me, after I've torn out my last three hairs! (And the worst thing is, the last hair on my head disappeared a long time ago...)Good. I didn't want to take the Swedish one: after all, once a small press book actually gets into a real shop...

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:36 am:   

I know I've said this before but...

I think that I really am coming to Madrid at the start of April. I can give you the book then, if you like. I may also be able to give you a standard copy of INFAMY (with a section dedicated to you) and a copy of the limited INFAMY to Isabel (with the extra section dedicated to her). This depends on whether I get copies before I leave Wales!

Steve Savile
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 06:51 pm:   

For anyone actually desperate for a copy of Percolated Stars, I was wrong, there are five copies in our local book store, Academibokhandeln - they retail pretty expensively, but I am willing to help folks out, because I like Rhys, and missed that breakfast he offered...

They are here, I think, more because of Ingram/Baker&Taylor who handle Lightning Source products rather than anything to do with Razorblade. No Razorblade titles BEFORE the move to Lightning Source UK made it over here...

Oh, and hi Rhys - been a while .)

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 04:19 am:   

After years of harassing him, the publisher of THE PERCOLATED STARS finally gave me some money for the book...

£100

Well it's something I suppose. The same amount that Pete Crowther of PS Publishing paid me for a single short story a few weeks ago... But Pete Crowther is a professional, not a rubbery faced buffoon. So let's be grateful for small mercies.

I also have six spare copies of the novel. If anyone tried and failed to get hold of it in the past let me know and you can have one now.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration