Release Party Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases » Release Party « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:09 am:   

We had our release party for the disease guide here in Tallahassee--the world premiere. Everything went perfectly, even to the point of having the replacement dust jackets arrive the day before the event. (Meaning contributors should start getting their copies in the next two weeks.)

We had heart-shaped candles on the book table, syringe pens, posters, postcards, etc. My wife Ann organized the whole thing with help from Myra, a friend who works at her company. Ann did a wonderful job of it. We sold tons of books in just two hours and had a great turn-out.

What I found very interesting is how many members of the medical community connected with the book at the party--and how many people bought copies for their sons or daughters in medical school or for fathers who are doctors.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:11 am:   

Text description

The book table at the release party last night. In the foreground, Richard Peterson, immortalized in City of Saints & Madmen as the leader of a cult. Behind the table, Heather, who was kind enough to run the table for us. Leaning over to buy a book, Paul Larsen, a co-worker. The Guide is very "Larsenesque", which gives you a good idea of Paul's personality. :-)

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:16 am:   

Text description

There's a fair amount of red eye in these photos. Please forgive me...

Here's a good look at the table, including the giant microbes. The giant stuffy microbes were third prize in the raffle/drawing. Second place, a gift certificate, first place a signed limited of the book. Everybody wanted the microbes. For more info on giant microbes, go to http://www.giantmicrobes.com .

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:17 am:   

Text description

Ann surprised us all by having a cake made to congratulate Lambshead on this special edition of the Guide...

JV

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:19 am:   

Text description

The back of my head. You can just see my three fingers on my left hand. It looks as if I've contracted some disease that's left me with a stump and three dangling fingers. To the left, Price, from Ann's company.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:23 am:   

Text description

To the right in the white shirt, Mark Shamis, our esteemed medical consultant--the only real doctor on the project.

JV

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:25 am:   

Text description

Another group shot. All told, about 100 people stopped by over the two-hour stretch.

A few people from the medical school stopped by, seemed to really like the book, and talked about teaching it as part of their curriculum.

Also learned yesterday that the New Yorker requested review copies of the disease guide, so all in all, it was a great day.

JV

JV
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:27 am:   

R.M. Berry, another contributor, got there about an hour into the event and was inundated with literally dozens and dozens of people wanting him to sign their copies. Alas, I didn't get a picture of Berry.

I think Mark Shamis got a real kick out of signing copies, too.

JV

michael `aloysius` cobley
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:22 pm:   

To all - man, that looks like damn fine launch extravaganza. Wish I could`ve been there, but would like to congratulate Jeff and Mark for doing such a fab job with the Guide - Neil Williamson brought round a copy for me to gawp at and I was really knocked out. Yowza, can`t wait for me ol` contributor copy.

Once again, thanx and keep taking the tablets!

Adios - Dr Mike `Aloysius` Cobley

Eddie Woodward
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 07:02 am:   

Hi. I am trying to contact Paul Larsen. He is mentioned as being at the book signing? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

eddiebud1@yahoo.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration