Disease Guide Readings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases » Disease Guide Readings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:16 am:   

This thread will be used to post information on upcoming disease guide readings and events. I'm creating another thread for discussion of same, and discussion of the disease guide in general.

JV

Dr Dr
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 07:46 am:   

WASHINGTON D.C. EVENTS

Thursday, October 30, 7:00pm - Borders (1801 K Street NW) - K. J. Bishop, Stepan Chapman, Michael Cisco, Jay Lake, Mark Roberts, Jack Slay, Jeff VanderMeer, Nathan Ballingrud group reading and signing for the Disease Guide.

Friday, October 31, 8:00 to 10:30pm - Disease Guide contributors including Jeffrey Ford participate in the World Fantasy Convention's autograph party.

Saturday, November 1, 2:00 to 4:00pm - Night Shade Books hosts a party in the World Fantasy Convention con suite, featuring the Disease Guide. Come by for a drink, good conversation, and to watch Dr. Stepan Chapman disect a motile snarcoma.

Saturday, November 1, 11:00 to 12:00pm - "Short, Humorous Readings" that happen to include disease entries from the Guide. Featuring Jeffrey Ford, Jeff VanderMeer, Mark Roberts, Harvey Jacobs, Jack Slay, Stepan Chapman, Robert Wexler, Alan M. Clark, Jay Lake, Eric Schaller, and more.

Mike S.
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:40 am:   

Is the autograph party on Fri night open to everybody, or just, like, writers and persons of privilege?

DrDR
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:07 am:   

Open to everyone.

Dr. Victor von Doom of Latveria
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:30 pm:   

Even me?

E.Dr.W.
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:19 am:   

Even the evil Dr. Wexler (who has vowed to be civil to that quack Dr. Chapman unless provoked).

JV
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 11:11 am:   

THE REST OF 2003

November 21, 7:30p.m., New York City, Borders (461 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10022) - Dis-ease guide reading at a NYC Borders, with contributors including Jeff VanderMeer, Jeffrey Ford, Michael Cisco, Shelley Jackson, and Robert Wexler.

November 22, 5:00a.m. to 7:00p.m., New York City, Hour of the Wolf Jeff VanderMeer will ap-pear on Jim Freund's NYC-based Hour of the Wolf radio show to talk about the disease guide.

December 4, 8:00p.m., Minneapolis, Walker Arts Center Jeff VanderMeer will be presenting a multimedia entertainment revolving around his imaginary city of Ambergris and the disease guide.

Lambshead
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 10:49 am:   

THE THACKERY T. LAMBSHEAD POCKET GUIDE TO ECCENTRIC & DISCREDITED DISEASES comes to Atlanta, Sat Dec 10, 2004, 2:00 p.m., at Borders Bookstore #15 (3637 Peachtree Rd., NE, Suite C). Join discredited doctors such as the diabolical World Fantasy Award winner Jeff VanderMeer, the nefarious Nebula Award winner Michael Bishop Shelley Jackson, the anti-typhoid suffering R.M. Berry, author of the NYT notable book Leonardo's Horse, the evil Robert Wexler, author of In Springdale Town, and the mysterious Jack Slay Jr. for a one-of-a-kind literary experience. What can you expect from the Lambshead Traveling Carnival and Fun Show? Laughter, props, giant microbes, and advanced cases of hypochondria. You can even win free stuff! http://www.lambsheadguide.com. "So demented and funny that it must be read to be believed." - The San Francisco Bay Guardian. "An amazing book." - Publishers Weekly "Hilarious!" - The Village Voice (http://www.lambsheadguide.com)

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:45 pm:   

Is that date right?

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 05:45 am:   

no, that date is not right. Goddamit. It's Jan. 10th.

Jeff

Dr Mesa
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:37 pm:   

Little spot of Chrono-Temporal Displacement, eh Doctor? Doctor Roberts and I intend to have a little meeting tomorrow night to discuss your case. I'm bringing the voodoo doll, he's bringing the Zombies.

T
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 04:14 pm:   

I hope you can figure it out, although I hope the voodoo doll will not be necessary...

Dr. T

Dr Mesa
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 08:12 pm:   

Well, Dr Roberts and I met last night in London and I'm happy to report that after consuming two bottles of champagne together with various ales and cocktails we forgot entirely about Dr V's condition. He may wish to follow a similar course of liquid treatment. On a less happy note, we seem to have lost the voodoo doll and can only hope it did not end up in Dr Wexler's incompetent hands.

E.Dr.W,
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 07:30 am:   

My hands have removed the tonsils from a multitude of voodoo dolls during my 100-year career.

E.Dr.W.

JV
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:31 am:   

I'm glad England is having such a positive effect on your studies, Dr. Mesa.

And just to restate, for those who might have lost the thread:

THE THACKERY T. LAMBSHEAD POCKET GUIDE TO ECCENTRIC & DISCREDITED DISEASES comes to Atlanta, Sat Jan 10, 2004, 2:00 p.m., at Borders Bookstore #15 (3637 Peachtree Rd., NE, Suite C). Join discredited doctors such as the diabolical World Fantasy Award winner Jeff VanderMeer, the nefarious Nebula Award winner Michael Bishop, the anti-typhoid suffering R.M. Berry, author of the NYT notable book Leonardo's Horse, the evil Robert Wexler, author of In Springdale Town, and the mysterious Jack Slay Jr. for a one-of-a-kind literary experience. What can you expect from the Lambshead Traveling Carnival and Fun Show? Laughter, props, giant microbes, and advanced cases of hypochondria. You can even win free stuff! http://www.lambsheadguide.com. "So demented and funny that it must be read to be believed." - The San Francisco Bay Guardian. "An amazing book." - Publishers Weekly "Hilarious!" - The Village Voice (http://www.lambsheadguide.com)

Howard To
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:34 am:   

Feeling a little left out here in Canada (Toronto area, if you must know). Any chance of a trip up to the great white north? And any news on the limited?

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 07:38 am:   

The limited is close. One sig sheet is done. Another couple need one or two signatures. The fourth needs six.

It has been said before, and will be said again: I can't speak for Mark, but I'll never edit an antho with 60 contributors again. The administrative headaches from sheer quantity of contributors is insane.

That said, I love this book and we couldn't have done it without this many contributors, so...

JeffV

JV
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

The Atlanta Disease Guide reading is today at 2pm (see info above). The info in Creative Loafing is incorrect, should anyone have been misled by it. It's not a vandermeer signing. It's a group reading with Michael Bishop, R.M. Berry, Jack Slay Jr, and Robert Wexler, followed by a signing. I'll be MC'ing.

JeffV

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:48 am:   

I held my own (miniature) Disease Guide Reading last night in a pub in Cardiff, Wales.

There were only two contributors present: Sara Gwenllian Jones and myself... And it wasn't really a reading.

But the Guide was the focal point of the origin of the meeting! And it was certainly fun!

JV
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:24 am:   

Some upcoming readings...

Jeff

February 22, 4:00pm to 6:00pm, Orlando, Florida, Borders (8285 Red Bug Lake Road, Oviedo, FL 32765). Editor Jeff VanderMeer and contributor Brendan Connell will sign the Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases. Jeff will also sign his own books.

March 13, 2:00p.m. to 3:00p.m., Tallahassee, Florida, Borders (1302 Apalachee Pkwy Tallahassee, FL 32301 ) Readings from the Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases by Michael Bishop, Nathan Ballingrud, R.M. Berry, Brian Evenson, and Jeff VanderMeer. (Bishop and Evenson will also sign their latest books.)

JV
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 05:10 pm:   

The Borders signing in Orlando on Feb. 22 will now be from 2pm to 4pm, with some overflow into the 4 to 6pm hours.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:42 am:   

The poster for the Tallahassee reading, beautifully designed by JT Lindroos.

JeffV

Text description

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration