Disease Guide Reviews Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases » Disease Guide Reviews « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:15 pm:   

Here we will post snippets from reviews, good or bad. As doctors, we are used to malpractice accusations, so no review will be left out--whether a positive prognosis or a negative one.

Jeff

JV
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   

From Locus. Faren Miller is right--the guide is set up for BROWSING. Reading it straight through will cause bleeding from the ears, mouth, and other orifices.

Jeff

Such a pathologically extensive trove has room for more subtle, psychological, and amusingly surreal material as well – Jeff Ford’s “figurative Synesthesia” one of the most elegant, while Dave Langford’s deliberately dyslexic “Logrolling Ephesus” may be the funniest. The tome also includes assorted “reminiscences” of the good Doctor, excerpts from a detailed bibliography of multiple “previous editions, “ and a sneaky look back at 20th century milestones from a Lamsheadian perspective. Hardy souls may plunge straight from cover to cover, but I’d suggest that you sample as if you held a massive box of poisoned chocolates nestled in your lap. All of them may be bad for your constitution, but some will be well worth the risk. - Faren Miller, Sept. Locus

JV
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:21 pm:   

SF Bay Guardian, August 27th

Imagine that several of your favorite S.F.-horror-fantasy authors, like Neil Gaiman, Michael Moorcock, Alan Moore, and Cory Doctorow, got together and pretended to be crazy turn-of-the-century doctors. Then imagine that they got to invent some diseases – like, say, Postal Carrier’s Brain Fluke syndrome – and create fake histories for them, packed with bizarre faux-medical language and morbidly imagined vectors of contagion. (Postal Carrier’s Brain Fluke, for instance, is transmitted from human to bug to bird to dog to human and results in the infected human wanting intensely to fill his or her pockets with loose change and climb a telephone pole during a lightning storm.) Still no amount of imagining could prepare you for the sheer, downright weirdness of The Thackery T., Lambshead Pocket guide to Eccentric and Discredited diseases...This Anthology is so demented and funny it must be read to be believed.

JV
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:23 pm:   

Publishers Weekly, August

Mostly amazing! Not for the faint of heart, the easily shocked or those who see fantasy fiction primarily in terms of warlike-elves and interminable quests, this anthology plays a variety of delicious post-modernist games that are sure to delight the discerning (and slightly warped) reader.

JV
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:25 pm:   

The Complete Review, August:

A lot of care has been put into this volume, and it is a fun book to make one's way through. Fun and cleverness can be found at every turn. Enjoyable!

JV
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:26 pm:   

My mother, September:

"Jeff, why do you have to go and do something weird again. And involving that nice boy Mark, too. Why can't you do anthologies about puppy dogs and kittens and bunny rabbits? Why always with the diseases? Or the 'decadence'. You want to break a mother's heart?"

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 05:23 am:   

It appears that the Guide is doing exceptionally well on pre-order on Amazon.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 08:35 am:   

More zany diseasey-ness at Diamond:

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/editorial/splashpage/splash.html

JV

JV
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:35 am:   

BookSense daily pick!

http://www.booksense.com/readup/dailypix/index.jsp

(scroll down)

Jeff

JeffV
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 06:34 pm:   

Cheryl Morgan at Emerald City thinks Mark and I are a menace. Well, we are. What of it. :-)

Jeff

http://www.emcit.com/emcit097.shtml#Sick

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:15 pm:   

And apparently SciFi Dimensions thinks we're a menace, too...

http://www.scifidimensions.com/Oct03/lambshead.htm

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:17 pm:   

From the SciFi Dimensions review:

From VanderMeer and Roberts, the illness has spread to over 50 others of similarly weak constitutions, including some authors marginally recognized in their fields, among them Kage Baker, Neil Gaiman, China Miéville, Alan Moore, Rachel Pollack, and Gahan Wilson (3). The rare "diseases" the victims describe in the Guide run the gamut from the merely absurd ("Menard's Disease (Biblioartifexism)", recorded by Michael Bishop, in which sufferers allegedly reproduce famous works of literature from scratch), to the absurdly horrifying, such as "Ballistic Organ Syndrome (Ballistitis)", recorded by Michael Barry, "a sudden, explosive discharge of one or more bodily organs at high velocity.".

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   

SF Site review at:
http://www.sfsite.com/10a/tl161.htm

Did they like it? In the first half it appears they will, but by the second half...they don't. :-( Clearly, they are suffering from a bad case of turgid-itis, although this may be unrelated to the book.

JV

JV
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

Village Voice Literary Supplement review of the disease guide...

http://www.villagevoice.com/vls/180/mamatas.shtml

Jeff

JV
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:20 pm:   

Arthur Magazine excerpts two diseases. The cover of this issue is by John Coulthart, disease guide designer.

Jeff

http://www.arthurmag.com/

JV
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   

The Disease Guide has made the BookSense 76!! The list will reach bookstores in printed form by the end of October.

JeffV

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:35 pm:   

This BookList review is in the Oct. 15th issue:

"What do a passel of brainy, witty sf and dark fantasy writers do to amuse themselves (and, hopefully, us)? Like any gathering of old friends, they talk about diseases. Fortunately, not their own diseases (although several entries in this dictionary-format guide bear the editorial warning that the authors seem to be suffering the illness at hand) but maladies they have, in their capacities as 'doctors,' discovered (i.e., made up). So doing, they follow the lead of strange-disease sleuth Thackery Trajan Lambshead (b. 1900), who published his findings annually from 1921 until this year, when, feeling he had only 30 good years left, he turned the work over to editors VanderMeer and Roberts and their 'doctor' acquaintances, such as Neil Gaiman, Kage Baker, Michael Moorcock, Gahan Wilson, Alan Moore, Neil Williamson, and other regular denizens of the SF/Fantasy and Graphic Novel sections of this magazine. Perfect recreational reading, at least for hypochondriacs, who will bask in the assurance that they don't have, say, 'Motile Snarcoma,' 'Third-Eye Infection,' or 'Inverted Drowning Syndrome.' "

JV
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 09:30 am:   

And a shout-out to Rick Kleffel, who has been invaluable in heading up our BookSense efforts. Thanks, Rick.

JeffV

MR
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:40 pm:   

http://www.complete-review.com/rest/unusual.htm

Making the Complete Review's list of the most unusual fiction, at #7....

MR

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:00 pm:   

Austin Chronicle's review...

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2003-10-24/books_readings.html

JV

DR DR
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   

BookSense article about the Guide...

http://www.booksense.com/index.jsp;jsessionid=25EBF416A783DF8CDEC101962AFBB9DA.hub

You might have to go to the main www.booksense.com page and then click on the lambshead article on the right...

JV
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:42 am:   

"A book you'll treasure forever...at least until you succumb to [Liz Williams'] Hsing's Spontaneous Self Flaying Sarcoma." - Washington City Paper

Full review here:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/pix/pix.html

JV
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:46 pm:   

Rev SF Review, by Peggy Hailey:

"The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide To Eccentric and Discredited Diseases is a shining example of what an anthology should be: a seamless collaboration of inventive minds which comes together in a whole that is significantly greater than it’s individual parts. The fact that it’s also a beautiful piece of art and funny as hell is just gravy."

Full review here: http://revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2025

JeffV

Dr. Lambshead
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:35 pm:   

Bookslut--mixed review:

http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2003_11_000958.php

JV
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 08:02 pm:   

Creative Loafing, a Southeastern regional arts newspaper, has published a rave review of the Guide. Excerpt below...

JV

The Lambshead Guide is, of course, a clever, complex, and even challenging fiction that only masquerades as medicine. At times gruesome but only rarely grim, this charming and fantastical compendium (co-edited by fantasy novelist Jeff VanderMeer and SF writer Mark Roberts) contains dozens of disease-descriptions, all of which are illustrated by John Coulthart, a British fantasy artist whom Tate Gallery Curator Simon Wilson once called "the perfect illustrator for Naked Lunch." Coulthart's drawings (a few of which are meant neither for children nor for the squeamish) add further dark charm to a well-designed, illustration-packed book with an amusing Victorian motif.

...a strange and entertaining literary goof.
If you've a taste for complex and eccentric fictions, the Lambshead Guide offers you the literary equivalent of a vaguely sinister yet strangely appetizing plate of petit-fours: Queer to the palate, oddly addictive, and made for occasional idle munching rather than a sit-down, straight-through meal.

So, gentle readers, should the cleft of your buttocks suddenly begin to bountifully sprout clusters of grapes, or should one nostril dilate alarmingly as the other shrinks to the point of disappearance, or should you suddenly be overcome with an obsessive fantasy involving stuffing your pockets with small change and then climbing to the top of a telephone pole in a thunderstorm, never fear! Open your copy of the Lambshead Guide with trembling hands to find your cure, or, failing that, to learn the circumstances of your colorful and utterly freakish eventual demise.

JV
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 12:30 pm:   

The Modern Word's very positive review of the Guide:

http://www.themodernword.com/reviews/thackery.html

Thwack
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

Sometimes one wonders why one bothers...I *told* Dr. A.C. that Dr. VanderMeer just co-edited the Guide. And now this--the Exquisite Corpse has gotten the book title wrong, and the initial attribution wrong, leaving out the good Dr. Roberts and making it seem as if VanderMeer is responsible for everything:

http://www.corpse.org/issue_12/clash/vandermeer.html

I shall have a word with those miscreants shortly, although I don't expect it will do any good.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lambshead

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 08:22 pm:   

CNN.com reviews the Disease Guide:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/books/12/02/sprj.hs03.review.diseases/

Mixed review--likes and does not like. Speculation as to how my own personal time should be spent is certainly welcome, as I am unusually suggestable in this way. If anyone else has any suggestions, please do send them to me.

JeffV

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 11:49 pm:   

No Jeff. You have to keep being an editor.

Dr. Cisco
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 01:08 am:   

Dr. V - I'd like a second opinion. Not having the patient in front of me, I can only speculate as to the condition of this "Porter Anderson" if that is his real name, but I wonder if I don't catch a whiff of Cortex Flatus about the bounder. You no doubt detected what I can only describe as classic Monetarotropism in his fixation on Gaiman, Moorcock, and the other more popular writers; as well as the sensitivity to small fonts (remember Harnswell's case in '41? Or was that the year you spent with the Toadstool Clan?) and the clearly advanced Smarmosis Blatantius. Of course, it could be O'Fitzigan's Ubiquity, what the kids behind the automat used to call "Irish Pub Quinsy," but I was under the impression that Dr. Roberts had isolated the last known case ...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:33 am:   

The esteemed Dr. Cisco may have the right of it. This "Porter Anderson" sounds suspiciously like one of the annoying yet dangerous members of the disreputable Less clan. While he kept it hidden for much of his review, his inability to grasp the conceit--nay, the very core idea--behind the guide reveals him to be none other than Mr. Clue Less. I've had the unfortunate experience of encountering him before, though in truth it's his brothers Use and Worth that have vexed me on a more regular basis.

Forget Al-Qaida. The Less Clan is the group that represents the greatest threat to the free world. Unfortunately, we've the genetically created amalgam of the Less clan running this country. Germinated in a vat containing a heady mixture of the genetic material from Use, Clue, Need, Heed & Kind Less, our very own President Select was then incubated within the womb of Immorality, and a new world leader was born. (Oops. How did I end up here? Sorry about that. No more politics on this thread.)

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:36 am:   

P.S. For the record, I pointedly await the opportunity to read your next novel, Dr. V, and agree that you should be afforded more writing time. (It need not be at the expense of your editing--sleep is for the weak.)

Eric S
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:16 am:   

Ah yes, the damned VanderMeer factor!

If only the reviewer knew how many times you had renounced editorship for the peaceful solitary pleasure of novel writing, only to be dragged back kicking and screaming to the editors' table.

If only the reviewer knew that there was not a single VanderMeer but multitudes stacked one within the other like Russian dolls.

If only the reviewer knew that when VanderMeer came out with his novel, that this same reviewer would then be asking where is the next Lambshead.

confused
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   

Dr. Vandermeer writes novels? I thought diseases and squids were his only passion in life...

Rhys
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:33 am:   

Yes, but Thackery is a book of novel diseases...

JV
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:16 am:   

I should note, although I think the CNN reviewer's "aside" about moi is retarded in the context of a review, I didn't post the review to kick the guy or anything. He's entitled to his opinion that the hour, approximately, each contributor spent was not worth it. Just as I'm entitled to my opinion that he's wrong.

Anyway, here's a link to the aforementioned Creative Loafing review:

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/newsstand/2003-10-29/arts_books.html

...and a link to the full BookSense 76 for Nov/Dec, including the Guide:
http://booksense.com/bs76/index.jsp

JeffV

PS Anyone have a cure for coughing? I've got a cold and I'm close to hacking up a lung here. Cough drops ain't cutting it.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:19 am:   

Here's the Midwest Book Review's review of the Disease Guide. http://www.midwestbookreview.com/ibw/dec_03.htm

Now, see, here's the real reason we did the Guide--to provide the "strong, underlying message" mentioned below...we're basically warning the consumer against buying the book...

JeffV

The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide To Eccentric & Discredited Diseases by Dr. Jeff Vandermeer and Dr. Mark Roberts is the commemorative 83rd edition of a classic medical resource first disseminated to doctors worldwide in 1921. Listing "diseases" that modern medicine (rightfully) spurns to document, these spurious conditions range from false menustration in males, to "reverse Pinocchio syndrome", to "wife blindness", and more. The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide To Eccentric & Discredited Diseases is clearly meant to be read and savored with a grain of salt and a sense of humor, there is also a strong underlying message for consumers of health and medical services to be wary of medical frauds, fads, and fringes.

JV
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:25 am:   

The Guide, by the way, is a featured employee pick at both Powell's (Portland, Oregon) and Elliot Bay (Seattle, Washington), two of the biggest independent bookstores in the US.

JV

JV
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:26 am:   

Cody Books is also featuring the Guide:

http://www.codysbooks.com/recommended/index.jsp

Disease fans will already have the PDR and Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary on their shelves, but they will have nothing like the Lambshead Guide. A vast conspiracy on the part of the AMA has kept the contributing doctors from getting the rewards and accolades that are their due, but oddly enough the fantasy and science fiction community have given them Hugo Awards, Nebula Awards, and World Fantasy Awards. We dare you not to laugh out loud as you read of Ballistic Organ Syndrome, and Diseasemaker's Croup.

JV
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:30 am:   

Ah, yes--here's the Powell's rec list:
http://www.powells.com/features/14favs.html

JV

Dr. Black
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:42 am:   

Unfortunately my dear colleague, their is no cure for the common cold (a condition I have been associated with). . . . However, Echinacea and large doses of vitamin C might expedite your well being. . . . Vic’s vapour rub to the chest? . . . Throat-soothing honey and lemon tea . . .

Dr. Cisco
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 01:43 am:   

I've stopped coughing dead simply by submerging my head in a tureen of bouillabaise. I lost consciousness before I was able to ascertain the exact amount of time involved, but the maitre d' estimated I was under for about eight minutes. You understand, considerable frustration was involved on my side.
Or you could try the Gomez Addams approach, breathing steam under a towel. If nothing else, making yourself look ludicrous will draw less opprobrium on you than the incessant hacking. Or perhaps a piping hot shower - anything to heat the lungs and get the gunk moving.

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 03:58 am:   

Dr. Chapman's infallible cure for coughing: Have a friend bind your wrists behind your back, tie a bag over your head, and push you over the brink of a steep rocky hillside.

Afterwards you will hardly notice the coughing.

Or you could just agree to edit another anthology.

steve r
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 09:58 am:   

Perhaps the best course is to actually 'hack up' the lung, making sure you are NOT near a steep rocky hillside, since the resultant fall might damage the lung, or, if the hillside overlooks the sea, it might well be eaten by lost giant freshwater squids who have got salt in their own lungs, and are desperately seeking replacements. Tie a string round the lung, and bash it repeatedly against a nearly wall to clear it of accumulated debris, and then wash gently in a mixture of fairy liquid, Vics, and aniseed flavouring. I myself did this, and am pleased to report that the other lung is perfectly all right, apart from a touch of emphysema.

For less adventurous souls, deep breathing combined with vast quantities of any hot liquid tends to help, as does the old towel trick with Vic vapours. Lying down on your back is not a good idea.

Or you could ask thje Gollux for advice...

JV
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:47 am:   

Fantastica Daily has posted a very positive review of the Guide:

www.fantasticadaily.com.

As for Dr. Redwood's suggestion--I endorse it whole-heartedly.

Jeff

Thwack
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:34 pm:   

An excellent review of the Disease Guide on the Rain Taxi web site:

http://www.raintaxi.com/online/2003winter/lambshead.shtml

Thwack
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 03:32 pm:   

Denver's Rocky Mountain News gives the Guide an A-. Scroll down.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/books/article/0,1299,DRMN_63_2512963,00.ht ml

Also, news comes to us that the LA Weekly will soon review the Guide. The Lancet is a possibility as well. [note: revised message 1/07/04]

Happy holidays. And, remember, lancing boils can be fun!

Dr. Lambshead

JV
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 06:38 pm:   

LA Weekly top 5 list...of a sort.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/05/the-miller.php

JeffV

JV
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:23 am:   

Also, we're #8 on Powell's Top 10 SF/F for the week, right between Terry Brooks and Michael Ende.

http://www.powells.com/psection/ScienceFictionandFantasy.html

Jeff

JV
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:25 am:   

Analog's Tom Easton just reviewed the Guide. He enjoyed it very much...

"Every once in awhile, a small press gets a project that has the potential to make the major publishing houses turn green with envy in a condition known to the cognoscenti as explosive verdigritis. The symptoms are cries of 'Who let this one escape?' and 'You call yourself an editor?', leading rather promptly to termination and unemployment...[The Guide is] Quite marvelously wonky. Keep it away from your kids! If you can. They'll love it too!"

Also, Atlanta's Creative Loafing has done a great write-up of the disease guide reading with a photo of Michael Bishop. As soon as I have that, I'll post it, too.

mike bishop
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:40 pm:   

Terrific review by Easton. Keep 'em coming, Jeff. And I like Easton's noting that some editors in mainstream houses may now be kicking themselves, hard.

Yours, Mike

JV
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:21 am:   

Yeah, Mike. I found that part pretty interesting.

Here's the link to the Creative Loafing mention, complete with photo of Mike B:

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/scene.html

Scroll down for the disease guide part.

JeffV

Thwack
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 05:46 pm:   

Cemetery Dance has run a short review by Paula Guran that reads in part:

"Spectacularly packaged by book designer John Coulthart, this incomparable compendium of the bizarre is, by any measure, unequalled. I'm not sure how civilization has managed without it. I'm not sure how civilization will manage with it, either....unless you are fatally mundane, this one is not to be missed."

Eric S
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:33 am:   

"Fatally mundane" --wonderful choice of words.

Thwack
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:24 am:   

Green Man Review likes the disease guide--a lot.

http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_vandermeer_roberts_lambshead.html

JV
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:22 pm:   

Another nice mention/review:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/trees/

JeffV

JV
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:34 am:   

This isn't a review, but related to a review. Cheryl Morgan's review of the disease guide has been named a finalist for the British SF Association's nonfiction award. Congratulations, Cheryl! The full ballot of nf nominees are:

BEST NON-FICTION:
'Nothing is Written: Politics, Ideology and the Burden of History in

the Fall Revolution Quartet' by John H Arnold and Andy Wood (from _The

True Knowledge of Ken MacLeod_, edited by Andrew M Butler and Farah Mendlesohn; SF Foundation)

'The Profession of Science Fiction #58: Mapping the Territory' by Mike Ashley (_Foundation_ #87)

'Reading Science Fiction' by Farah Mendlesohn (Introduction to _The >Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction_, edited by Edward James and Farah Mendlesohn; Cambridge University Press)

'A Sick Mind' by Cheryl Morgan (Review of _The Thackery T Lambshead >Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases_, edited by Jeff
Vandermeer and Mark Roberts; _Emerald City_ #97)

_Hitchhiker: A Biography of Douglas Adams_ by M J Simpson (Hodder & >Stoughton)

Thwack
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 10:06 am:   

In addition to the Pan MacMillan deal for the Guide, it has just been named a finalist for the International Horror Guild Award for best anthology.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:51 am:   

Dear Diseased and Doctors: The Lambshead scored a ten in the SF Site editors best of the year list. Congrats!!!

JV
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 06:12 am:   

The Lancet has reviewed the disease guide, extremely favorably! The review is by Mark Powlson. The direct link is:

http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol363/iss9409/full/llan.363.9409.dissecting_ro om.28773.1

However you'll have to sign up to access the review. It's free and takes about 10 seconds.

I think it is safe to excerpt a short bit of it here. If not, this excerpt will soon disappear. :-)

"The editors of this remarkable book, Jeff VanderMeer and Mark Roberts, have set out shamelessly to parody our learned and noble profession. Their mission is to boldly send up medical textbooks and indeed journals of a certain vintage. To that end they have inveigled some 60 writers of science fiction, fantasy, and horror to trawl their imaginations for weird and wonderful diseases....the results are often hilarious, sometimes fall flat, occasionally stray into the surreal, and at times are rather disquieting, leading one to try to remember quite how one goes about emergency psychiatric sectioning. But on the whole they make a good fist of it, partly because it is obvious that they are all having so much fun. The book is well produced, and the artwork is quite exceptional."

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:25 pm:   

Realms of Fantasy Just ran a review of the Guide in the April 2004 Issue:

"Here's a book that CAN be judged by its cover. The art, by Jon Coulthart, is gorgeous, evocative and strange, qualities shared by a good number of the case histories within. This compendium of bizarre diseases, which run the gamut from the hilarious (Motile Snarcoma), to the surreal (Fruiting Body Syndrome), to the profoundly unsettling (Tian Shan-Gobi Assimilation), boasts what is surely the most distinguished group of writers to grace any recent anthology, among them Paul Di Filippo, Corey Doctorow, Jeffrey Ford, Neil Gaiman, China Mieville, Alan Moore, and our own Gahan Wilson. But the book is more than jus another fictional disease anthology. Through detailed letters and reminiscences relating to the life of Dr. Lambshead, it takes on the kind of obsessive metareality none finds in the work of outsider artists. Editors Jeff Vandermeer and Mark Roberts have produced what should by all rights become a bedside classic, beloved by insomniacs and hypochondriacs of every stripe and spot.”

Reviewed by Paul Witcover

Thwack
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:24 am:   

The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases has made the preliminary ballot of the Bram Stoker Award. Vote early and vote often. I will be advising all medical personnel who might qualify for membership to immediately join and vote. Failing that, I shall instruct all medical personnel to withhold medical attention from any active member of HWA who does not promise to vote for the disease guide.

http://www.horror.org/stokerballots.htm

Still, we don't have a skunk's chance in a vat of Chanel...

JV
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:33 pm:   

From The Review of Contemporary Fiction....

Composing a work of fiction within the vocabulary and form of a nonfiction genre can be a powerful way to fuse the exploratory nature of imaginative writing with the concerns of the world outside the book....[the disease guide] is one such work: a collection of short fictions that often mimic the prudishness, guesswork, cultural and scientific myopia, and Latinate stuffiness of medical taxonomies from the nineteenth century....at its best, the disease guide is a reflection of our attempts to understand ourselves or our society, especially when something goes wrong, especially something that has no name.

JV
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 01:22 pm:   

Coverage of the Tally disease guide reading tomorrow...

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/entertainment/8161360.htm

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:41 pm:   

Anybody get their hands on the reviews of Lambshead in the April issue of The New York Review of Science Fiction?

Wexler
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:02 am:   

I have it Mr. Jeremy. Do you need a copy?

jlassen@nightshadebooks.com
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:42 pm:   

yes. I could still use them. email to me off board about this. jlassen@nightshadebooks.com

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:46 pm:   

nevermind. Just got them.
-JL

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration