HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Editorial / Publication Workflow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Editorial / Publication Workflow « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bluejack
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   

Ahoy.

I'm currently working on a service that will support publishers trying to manage editorial workflow, especially (but not exclusively) when submissions are electronic.

Here's the concept:

(1) Authors *may* submit using a web interface;
(2) Editors *may* also log submissions that come from other means (email, snailmail);
(3) Author contact information is databased;
(4) All contact between author and editor is databased;
(5) Publishers have the option of providing limited insight into the workflow to authors: they have the ability to see what stage of consideration/preparation a piece is at and any comments that editors have designated viewable by authors;
(6) Submissions and all subsequent drafts may be stored on the server for reference or as a means of passing markups on to other editors or back to the author.
(7) Workflow tracks a submission from initial receipt through accept/decline, and on through proofreading, typesetting, and author proofs. For markets that have contracts and pay authors, these logistics are also tracked.

This is the result of managing a couple of editorial workflows myself (iROSF and AEon Speculative Fiction), and realizing how cumbersome it is to use email or tools such as google docs to manage an editorial process that is distributed around the internet.

I expect to have a version ready for public consumption later this month. If you or your publication might be interested in beta testing the product, please drop me a note (here, or to my email: bluejack - at - bluejack - dot - com. I'll be looking for 2 or 3 publications who would be interested in trying it out. Eventually I hope to offer it as an inexpensive service to the small press / online publisher domain.

Beta testers will get a lifetime free pass. If I get too many interested parties, I'll aim for a diversity of use cases to help test the system.

M.K. Hobson
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:39 am:   

Bluejack -- I'd love to learn more about this. Doug Lain and I are working together on a new 'zine called "Diet Soap" and this kind of interface would be hugely useful for us. LMK if you still need beta testers!

M.K. Hobson
mkhobson@dietsoap.org

Dflewis
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:27 am:   

Do these new methods factor in the possibility that either editors or writers may want submissions to be anonymous (at least for a while) - a method that many people seemed to favour during discussion forums here on gender bias etc.
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register