HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Sci Fi Reading Advice

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Sci Fi Reading Advice « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Robinson
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   

Hi. I'm looking for some advice. I would like to read some science fiction (I used to read it as a child but I haven't read any for over 30 years) I am a regular reader of New Scientist. I want to read material that is not too far removed from what might be possible (I think this is called 'hard sci fi ?). I am keen to read novels based on modern day science, not novels written in past decades. Could anyone suggest authors / titles I could look for ?

Ahmed A. Khan
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 04:39 pm:   

Any and all books of Robert Sawyer.

Ahmed
http://ahmedakhan.journalspace.com

John H. Myers Jr.
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   

Reynolds is Space Opera, not Hard SF, but in any event is still an EXCELLENT recommendation and well worth the time to read.

Since you've been away for a while, it's worth checking out the New Space Opera that's out there, as it is kick ass.

Neal Asher, Ian Banks, Ken MacLeod, Alastair Reynolds to name but a few. Jack McDevitt and Robert Charles Wilson too.

Jeremy Minton
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 04:17 am:   

Try some of the earlier (i.e. pre-Baroque Cycle) novels of Neil Stephenson especially "Cryptonomicon" and "The Diamond Age"

david frederick stuckey
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   

I am going to plug ANALOG Magazine, who have published a lot of Robert Sawyers short work, and serialised the novels "Humanoids", "Starplex" and "Rollback". It is the home of the plausible or rigourous SF in the main, though it has some fun too.

Some of the other authors who have yet to break through into the novel world but are very much of this line include Rajnar Vajra, Shane Tourtellotte, Brian Plante ( A personal favourite "It's Only Human" posits a delightfully twisted game show based on the Turing Test)John G Hemry, Carl Frederick and Richard A Lovett.

Support the old school :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |