HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Question about rights Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Question about rights « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   

Quick question which I'm sure someone here knows.

I'd like to update my bibliography page on my website. Instead of just listing my publications, I'd like to put a sentence or two underneath each link, to give a feel for each story. I've seen this bibliography style on other writers' pages and liked it.

Do I need to ask permission from the editors who've published my stories? I'm guessing no, but I wanted to be sure. (Also, if there's some reason I shouldn't do this, let me know.) Thanks.

Daniel Ausema
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   

No. Unless you signed a strange and inadvisable contract, you retain all rights to your stories, so you can post a teaser, a summary, an exerpt...even the entire story if you want (though it's fairly common for contracts to specify 3 months to 1 year from publication date of exclusivity, so you'd have to check the contracts for that...and publishing it in that way would likely limit any interest in reprinting the story at a future date, so I wouldn't recommend it in most cases--but you do have that right).

I can't think of any reason not to do this either--in fact, as long as you make the sentence(s) interesting it'll likely drive up interest in the stories themselves and the magazines they're in, so it's an advantage to both you and the editor.

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   

Okay, cool. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register